10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
dicko995
September 25, 2019, 9:44pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
I am really disappointed in the team sheet, it was a defend set up and we never ever really tried to show Chelsea what we could play like. A massive mistake in tactics from the first minute, How could we ever defend and hope for a chance of a draw for penalties. I feel robbed of £10 to watch my beloved club sit back and be humiliated. And then when Jolley thought about it in the second half, he tries to speed the forward line up, it was so depressing. I admit that the Chelsea club had it wrapped up by half time. Lampard even put youngsters on and it kept us even worse on defending. Fair play to the lads, they kept to a bad plan, but feel really gutted as a supporter when I know the lads can do better. It was obviously a hard call to get a result, but the plan let us 5,000 supporters down. Its going to be a long trek back for us, knowing we could of done better. But lets put this aside and concentrate now for Saturday. Its a bad hiccup, but maybe we can take the medicine and kick off at the weekend and fight for 3 points. Disappointed but always a Black n White.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
September 25, 2019, 9:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,385
Gold Stars: 527
Yeah tactics were wrong, clifton should never have started and he was at fault for the first. Was great to score but second half poor defending and exhaustion just cost us, we looked dead. Which is a wory with exeter saturday. Couldnt get the atmosphere going we was too spread out as support
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 99
Madeleymariner
September 25, 2019, 9:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Hagrid
Yeah tactics were wrong, clifton should never have started and he was at fault for the first. Was great to score but second half poor defending and exhaustion just cost us, we looked dead. Which is a wory with exeter saturday. Couldnt get the atmosphere going we was too spread out as support

Could only hear Town fans on the telly, and fish chant really sounded loud at times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 99
sonofmadeleymariner
September 25, 2019, 9:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
7-1 loss against what could be a starting 11 in the Prem. Can't complain too much really we gifted the 6 goals between poor defending and exhausted legs. Greens goal for us was magnificent. Like dicko and Hagrid I was disappointed with our choice of tactics as well. We should of just attacked them from the off instead of being so defensive as that never works. Just look at Lincoln and Newports good run against top sides over the last couple years they came about because they played their football and attacked the opposition we never really did today. Town fans were magnificent you could hear them for almost the enite 90 minutes.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 99
MuddyWaters
September 25, 2019, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from dicko995
I am really disappointed in the team sheet, it was a defend set up and we never ever really tried to show Chelsea what we could play like. A massive mistake in tactics from the first minute, How could we ever defend and hope for a chance of a draw for penalties. I feel robbed of £10 to watch my beloved club sit back and be humiliated. And then when Jolley thought about it in the second half, he tries to speed the forward line up, it was so depressing. I admit that the Chelsea club had it wrapped up by half time. Lampard even put youngsters on and it kept us even worse on defending. Fair play to the lads, they kept to a bad plan, but feel really gutted as a supporter when I know the lads can do better. It was obviously a hard call to get a result, but the plan let us 5,000 supporters down. Its going to be a long trek back for us, knowing we could of done better. But lets put this aside and concentrate now for Saturday. Its a bad hiccup, but maybe we can take the medicine and kick off at the weekend and fight for 3 points. Disappointed but always a Black n White.

Ridiculous post. Massive gulf in class and budget. Maybe you’re unlucky if you’re Jordan Cook but then we could have lost by more.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 99
promotion plaice
September 25, 2019, 10:10pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Great Town support tonight, who cares about the score.

Lampard didn't take any chances with the team he put out did he.

First time I've been to Stamford Bridge and the ground is impressive but the Chelsea fans weren't, quiet is the word.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 99
mimma
September 25, 2019, 10:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
We were all over the place until Green hit it to score. After that we looked ok until the penalty. Max Wright looked good when he came on.
The gulf in class is immense.  The way they moved us around and picked us off was awesome if painful to watch. They never eased up and put us to the sword.
Town fans were increadable. The noise that we created until the final whistle was incredible.
A word about Chelsea, the ground, the stewards, the facilities are first class. Lot better than it looks on TV.
Overall a great day out, apart from a lunatic in a BMW who hit our coach!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 99
Gaffer58
September 25, 2019, 10:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
As said previously, the score is immaterial really, in all seriousness prior to kickoff did anyone really believe we could win. We've been to Stamford Bridge, scored a goal, made anywhere between £120 and £150 grand. Let's enjoy the day, as they don't come around every season, after all we could be in scunny' position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 99
promotion plaice
September 25, 2019, 10:24pm

Quoted from mimma

We were on the coach directly in front of you, didn't see the crash but saw the aftermath.

At least you had a shorter walk to the ground than we did.

Hope it all got sorted.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 99
forza ivano
September 25, 2019, 10:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Yeah definitely  should've gone all out attack coz that way we might have seen a record score.never read so much bollox in my life. Christ we did well to hold them to 7 even playing defensively. They were different class.palace had zaha but they had 6 or 7 who were just as impressive as him. We lost by 6.forest a decent championship side shipped 5 to arsenal last night so lets get a bit of prrspective
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 99
Kris2
September 25, 2019, 10:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Hagrid

I don't think tactics would have made any difference. A bunch of quality young players who were itching for a chance to show what they can do ran us ragged, it's a big difference when they can pick and choose which wonder kids to sign and they get the best facilities and coaches to learn from. Too much quality,too much pace, too much strength. Jolley had no real illusions of getting a result and gave the fans what they want to see, a bunch of local lads walking out at Stamford Bridge. They tried but just didn't have enough to deal with them.

I guess if anything people can now move on from cup glory fever and we can focus on the league. Exeter will be a whole different game to Chelsea.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 99
mimma
September 25, 2019, 10:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

We were on the coach directly in front of you, didn't see the crash but saw the aftermath.

At least you had a shorter walk to the ground than we did.

Hope it all got sorted.

Yeah we had a short walk, but had no idea where our coach was after the game!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 99
LondonMariner43
September 25, 2019, 10:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
Yes I would have started with Cook and Ogbu, had Gibson and Pollock at centre back and Hewitt at fullback.

But it doesn’t matter much because Chelsea were a class above.

We started really nervously and backed off too much, gifting 2 goals.  At that point it could have been 10-0.

Cracking goal from Green.  If we had got in at 1-2 and then come out guns blazing, then who knows.  

At the end, Chelsea were playing with 4 or 5 players up front and ran rings around us.

Hanson gave it everything up front and Max Wright was class both in attack and defence - he is going far.  I was with.a Chelsea season ticket holder and he was full of praise for Wright.  He also said we should have played a more physical game against a side who were low on confidence before tonight.

Magnificent support and gutted for the players because their effort didn’t deserve that score line.

Onwards and upwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 99
Mariner93er
September 25, 2019, 10:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
I think the second half showed exactly why we played to contain first half. It may not have looked like it at times but we went out the second half to have a go, and they tore us a new one. Had we not given away a needless penalty at the end of the first half it would have only been 2-1 against a high quality team, half of who could probably afford to buy GTFC after a few months worth of wages.

It's easy to point to tactical errors in hindsight, but in reality the game was never dependent on how we played, but how they played. Unfortunately for us, they were on it today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 99
grimsby pete
September 25, 2019, 11:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Just to rub salt into the wounds Chelsea have got Man Utd in the next round. We could have beaten them  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 99
HertsGTFC
September 25, 2019, 11:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
I thought the selection was a bit iffy but to be quite honest looking at their pace, work rate, ball control, vision, fitness, finishing, closing down and nice hair cuts we could have fielded 13 outfield players and still lost.

Like Stamford Bridge it’s changed a fair bit since we where last there, all the staff and stewards very polite & helpful.

Just a shame that a small minority of Town supporters insisted on having a punch up in the ground and the Met failed to stop both sets of bell choppers getting at each other outside the ground.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 99
mariner91
September 25, 2019, 11:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,576
Gold Stars: 260
Enjoyed that. Not the result we wanted but the goal was great and for five minutes after it I thought we could maybe give them a proper game but it wasn't to be. Chelsea were quality and the gulf in both the technical and physical ability was evident. The Town fans were great and I'm proud of the lads for giving it a go.

That being said, I'm worried about the way Jolley set the team up. Going man for man marking can work, he's done this before with us and he did it with success against Malmo when in Sweden. However, that can only work when there isn't too much physical or technical difference between the players. It may have worked in Sweden where, no offence to Swedish footballers, but even the best Swedish players don't play in their league. It will not work against England internationals and World Cup winners. You are essentially saying, we are going to match you man for man and because of that the lads never had a chance tonight. You've got to set up to be hard to break down and have a system in place that makes the team greater than the sum of it's parts. Their movement created huge holes all the time because we weren't keeping a shape (it took me ages to work out what our set up even was) and their superiority shone through. Luckily Macca kept the score almost respectable.The fact that Jolley set up like this which, in my opinion, is so completely wrong in the circumstances makes me question his tactical understanding of the game and that's a big concern going forward. I think he's recognised and addressed the fact we lacked physicality in the squad and had no presence up front which meant the ball kept coming back. But I think with the players at our disposal now, he should be getting more out of them.

Quick word for Max Wright, he was great. Deserves to be starting games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 99
jaygy
September 25, 2019, 11:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Back at my Cockfosters hotel....

A good day out had by most and i have to say the facilities and staff at Stamford bridge are fantastic

Our selection was very strange I thought and even though I'd like to see Clifton do well as a local lad I really don't see how he's keeping Cook out of the starting lineup. Max looked so energetic when he came on and I think his confidence to run at players is incredible every time I've watched him. It was great to be able to celebrate a wonder goal at least.

We'll draw a line under this one anyway and move onto more important games starting with Exeter on Saturday, I'm heading down there tomorrow to make a long weekend of it so hopefully the boys won't let me down Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 99
LH
September 25, 2019, 11:42pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
Whilst the OP does make some good points it’s a ludicrous overreaction to us getting humped by a team who won a European trophy last season.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 99
Yossarian
September 25, 2019, 11:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,078
Gold Stars: 18
Massive spaces in the middle of the pitch - watching Chelsea attack in the first half it was as though we missed 2 central midfielders - they were almost walking the ball up the edge of our box.  

Chelsea players were very impressive - great angles, pinging the ball about, not breaking a sweat.   Just a shame that we didn;t dig in for the first 30 mins.  

Good luck to everyone driving back up north -
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 99
bawarmy
September 25, 2019, 11:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,962
Car on fire on the motorway. It’s going to be a long night
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 99
sydney
September 26, 2019, 12:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
That was a spanking
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 99
promotion plaice
September 26, 2019, 1:02am

Quoted from bawarmy

Yeah, 01.00 hours. and we are only as far as Peterborough.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 99
Hagrid
September 26, 2019, 1:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Our driver gave us a tour of london. We didnt leave till 11.45 and now the a1 is shut
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 99
KingstonMariner
September 26, 2019, 1:06am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Just back. Well apart from a bowl of cereal.

How do you judge a game like that? We lost fair and square. Could we have done better? Yeah but only 4:1 at best not 7:1.

Could have been 10 but for Macca.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 99
LH
September 26, 2019, 1:40am

Quoted from Hagrid
Our driver gave us a tour of london. We didnt leave till 11.45 and now the a1 is shut

Soccer Express are getting a very strongly worded email tomorrow. I don’t know if anyone else feels the same but feel badly let down today. Missed all the pre-match build up and I am only as far as Peterborough tonight.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 99
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 26, 2019, 1:45am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,644
Gold Stars: 70
Also just back and thanks to Biccys for making contact and offering my lad, brother and me a lift first time we had met but did a great job and found car park ten minutes from the ground.

Didn’t enjoy the result but everything else was first class. Very surprised Matty stayed on all game as the lad appeared to be cramping up from just before half time. Also highlighted the fact that a number of players are not technically gifted namely Whitehouse, Ogbu, Green and Clifton who all struggled to control and keep the ball, not sure what has happened to Clifton this season but seems to have taken a backward step in his development but maybe just a bit low in confidence after being omitted following his injury.

Bit surprised Robson didn’t start after his performance on Saturday but let’s be honest whoever played would have been chasing shadows for most of the match. Players clearly knackered after an hour so a journey home and then to Exeter will make it hard to get anything from the game on Saturday.

Anyway time to get me golf clubs outside as plane for Spain leaves in four hours 😄😩
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 99
AndyGTFC
September 26, 2019, 3:23am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +795
Gold Stars: 5
It'd have been nice not to let in 7 as it is an embarrassing scoreline but it was a reminder that the class between the top teams in the Premier League and League Two is absolutely huge. It's almost like a different sport at times.

Saw some terrific football from them and a fantastic goal from Green so can't complin too much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 99
Spidey
September 26, 2019, 3:38am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +372
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from bawarmy

Yeah, me and the lad got stuck in that, cost us 50 minutes, though some Grimsby lads in a red Civic said it could be up to 2 hrs, luckily it wasn’t.
We were sat in row 18 of the upper (highest row) and to be fair it was still a great view. It was still a fantastic evening despite the score line, at least we got a goal to celebrate. Nearly non stop chanting, through out, we certainly won that one!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 99
TownSNAFU5
September 26, 2019, 3:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,849
Gold Stars: 42
On the positives, no Championship club got further than us in the cup.

Bloody warm everywhere.  Does the ground have CH?  We could with that.

Yes we could have been more adventurous - but would it have made any difference by the end?  They would still have passed or run through us,  at least we scored.

The programme mentioned 3 Town wins over Chelsea.  I did not know that some of their very talented players and come through 5 consecutive FA Youth Cup wins, including 3 final wins over Man City.

We were up against the very best young  talent tonight.  19 year old Reece James MOM and tipped for an England place soon.

With the very large number of stewards, our net share after costs will go down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 99
Hagrid
September 26, 2019, 4:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Very warm stadium! We had AC in the lower towards the back, finally home 6 hours after we “left” london
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 99
lukeo
September 26, 2019, 6:43am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,295
Gold Stars: 134
Chelsea oozed with class, some veryy good youngsters coming through for Frank.
Support sounded very good even at 6 and 7-1 down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 99
Dan
September 26, 2019, 7:35am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
I was very impressed with Chelsea. Every pass was perfectly weighted, every through ball went to a player. It was like the ball was glued to their feet at times. That said, after we scored we gave them a good game up until the penalty, and Green will be happy with a goal like that past Caballero.

Worth keeping in mind that they had Pulisic on the pitch, and his transfer fee alone could have funded our club until 2049. He was also their worst player 😂😂

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 99
bedders78
September 26, 2019, 8:02am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 12
Just back - to work

The early goals hurt, but probably had no impact on the result in the end.  If we're going to be picky, Macca might be disappointed to be beaten at the near post even by a current England international. Green's goal was well taken and we looked like making a game of it until the penalty. They seemed to adopt the Man City tactic of a quick foul, high up the pitch to stop breakaways.

They were a strong team and performed close to their potential, Barkley looked like creating a chance whenever he got the ball, Hudson-Odoi on the other hand never seemed as threatening to me. Gilmour could develop in to a very handy player.

For us, I thought Whitehouse had one of his better games for us, Wright caused problems when he ran at them, Hendrie was his usual classy self and Hewitt is worth a spot as a wide midfielder in a 442.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 99
Mrs Doyle
September 26, 2019, 8:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
WTF!! We were beaten by a team of international players the gulf in class was stark. No shame in it for me thier ability was there for all to see. Their passing was spot on their width both sides were far to good for us and the midfield ran the show Ross Barkley and co were superb.

Team selection would not have made any difference man for man they were a class above knackered us out with all the skill that sort of money buys you.

No shame in it for me our lads tried but were just outgunned and out classed by a multi million pound side.

The poster that said we never created any atmosphere.
What fecking plannet was you on???

Our fans were magnificent for all 90minutes despite the scrore we totally out sung them if it had been on support alone we would have won 10-0.

So proud to be a marriner, nobody let us down particullaly our MAGNIFICENT LOUD FANS, The players did there best but were just chasing shadows by a team from another world.

Unfortunately the organisation by soccer express was pathetic. I was on the ill fated number nine coach that had the accident near to the ground. Nobody knew where the pick up point was and looked like trouble kicking off near the pub not good when you are just trying to find the coach.

Btw Stamford Bridge is a magnificent stadium but the sound system is rubbish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 99
Jarmo.Is.God
September 26, 2019, 8:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Positive for me, is 90mins is a long time, and I don't think they destroyed us in any way.

Hudson-odoi - Suppose to be England's brightest prospect, didn't do much for the full game apart from score at the end against an extremely tired defence and keeper
Pulisic - played 32 times for USA, cost Chelsea £58mil, did nothing to us.
Pedro - Played over 60 times for Spain, over 300 times for Barca & Chelsea - Scored a peno, apart from that, not a lot

We had a 17 year old Centre back, who looks a very bright prospect, against some 'world class' players, and up until 80th min, we were 4-1 down, 1 being a peno.

All in all, great night and experience for the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 99
Abdul19
September 26, 2019, 8:33am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Dan

Worth keeping in mind that they had Pulisic on the pitch, and his transfer fee alone could have funded our club until 2049. He was also their worst player 😂😂

Yeah he was shite! That little lad Gilmour in the middle looked a real talent.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 99
Jarmo.Is.God
September 26, 2019, 8:35am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LH

Soccer Express are getting a very strongly worded email tomorrow. I don’t know if anyone else feels the same but feel badly let down today. Missed all the pre-match build up and I am only as far as Peterborough tonight.

Why?

Didn't they leave at 12:30? that's over 7 hours before kick-off...

And the coach probably set off 1 hour after the full time whistle?

Guess you expected London to be quiet?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 99
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 26, 2019, 8:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Positive for me, is 90mins is a long time, and I don't think they destroyed us in any way.

Sorry Jarmo, you are a true fan but I just had to laugh at this, it was 7-1, mate!  What would the score be if they had really destroyed us?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 99
Mariner Timsky
September 26, 2019, 8:51am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Approval: +1,533
Quoted from Spidey

Yeah, me and the lad got stuck in that, cost us 50 minutes, though some Grimsby lads in a red Civic said it could be up to 2 hrs, luckily it wasn’t.
We were sat in row 18 of the upper (highest row) and to be fair it was still a great view. It was still a fantastic evening despite the score line, at least we got a goal to celebrate. Nearly non stop chanting, through out, we certainly won that one!

Just back at work - 5 hours kip which I cant complain at really after only having to get back to Northampton - the 50 odd minute delay on M1 a bit of a downer -

also in Row 18 of the Upper and wow what a view and what a stadium and what a night - did hurt seeing the goals go in especially in that second half but we cant fault the players , all the coaching staff and of course us lot - a great experience and at 2-1 after the worldie from Greeny we made a go at it but just couldn't keep that play up - we were beaten by some very talented players who at times played the game like it really was a different sport - we go again and just hope they have something left in the tank for a totally different experience all together at Exeter -

nights like that make you proud to be a Mariner and the singing and clapping at the end to our lads felt quite emotional - UTM

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 99
Jarmo.Is.God
September 26, 2019, 8:52am

Vodka Drinker

Sorry Jarmo, you are a true fan but I just had to laugh at this, it was 7-1, mate!  What would the score be if they had really destroyed us?

Before the last 10mins, it was 4-1, and 1 of them was a sloppy penalty.

So after 80mins, we made the game a competitive one, against a team who have players earning more a week, than our players earn in a year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 99
Mrs Doyle
September 26, 2019, 9:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Looked at the stats it says it all we were given the run around and if it wasn't for Macca the score would have been in double figures.

Lets concentrate on the league now Chelsea needed to prove a point and they did.

The prem and the lowere leagues are miles apart.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 99
TheRealJohnLewis
September 26, 2019, 9:06am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
I can't see how anyone can criticise any of our players or team selection, there is NOTHING that would have changed the result.  We didn't lose because we were poor or because of any individual, we lost because Chelsea was far superior.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 99
GrimExile
September 26, 2019, 9:45am
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Am I the only one who still feels deflated and upset over the game last night? I am so so proud of the team, they ran, they chased and they gave everything and by the end they were out on their feet. Our away support was also phenomenal and we should be proud of that too and I am. What upsets me is that any team outside the Premiership and to a lesser degree the Championship, has no chance at all to join them up there. None at all. The billions and billions of pounds goes to the top 2 divisions and the rest get scrapings. What’s more the FA, the Premier League and to a lesser degree the EFL could not give a toss about the small clubs. When the highlight of last season was being beaten by Crystal Palace and the only only real highlight in recent years was getting back into the league was brought home to me last night. One high earner at Chelsea earns more in one week than all of our players combined earn in probably a month or even more. It wasn’t losing that upset me, it wasn’t even the scoreline although I can’t pretend to like it, it’s the realisation that for nearly all of League 1 and 2 clubs they will never rise any further than those 2 leagues. That surely cannot be right. Or can it? You tell me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 99
forza ivano
September 26, 2019, 9:51am

Exile
Quoted from GrimExile
Am I the only one who still feels deflated and upset over the game last night? I am so so proud of the team, they ran, they chased and they gave everything and by the end they were out on their feet. Our away support was also phenomenal and we should be proud of that too and I am. What upsets me is that any team outside the Premiership and to a lesser degree the Championship, has no chance at all to join them up there. None at all. The billions and billions of pounds goes to the top 2 divisions and the rest get scrapings. What’s more the FA, the Premier League and to a lesser degree the EFL could not give a toss about the small clubs. When the highlight of last season was being beaten by Crystal Palace and the only only real highlight in recent years was getting back into the league was brought home to me last night. One high earner at Chelsea earns more in one week than all of our players combined earn in probably a month or even more. It wasn’t losing that upset me, it wasn’t even the scoreline although I can’t pretend to like it, it’s the realisation that for nearly all of League 1 and 2 clubs they will never rise any further than those 2 leagues. That surely cannot be right. Or can it? You tell me.

Bournenmouth, Huddersfield, Sheff Utd. & Burnley says it acn be done and add in Donny, Rotherham and Scunny surviving to a lesser or greater degree in the Championship says it can be done. You need a good young manager, an innovative board forward looking with a bit of money and a new stadium.
Unfortunately we've only got 1 out of the 3!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 99
GrimExile
September 26, 2019, 10:06am
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Yes but look where some of them are now!! Not all of them admittedly but the reason some of them got there was through spending more than they coul afford. In the end the bubble inevitably bursts. Ask Scunny, Bury and Bolton. I just think the tv money in particular should be more evenly distributed. In my humble opinion success should not be just because one club’s owner has more millions than another. It’s not healthy for the game because again in my humble of opinion the Premiership is boring (albeit the standard of football is incredible) because it’s the same 3 or 4 sides who contest the top end. Ignore me I got out of bed the wrong side this morning!!! UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 99
crusty ole pie
September 26, 2019, 10:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,334
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from dicko995
I am really disappointed in the team sheet, it was a defend set up and we never ever really tried to show Chelsea what we could play like. A massive mistake in tactics from the first minute, How could we ever defend and hope for a chance of a draw for penalties. I feel robbed of £10 to watch my beloved club sit back and be humiliated. And then when Jolley thought about it in the second half, he tries to speed the forward line up, it was so depressing. I admit that the Chelsea club had it wrapped up by half time. Lampard even put youngsters on and it kept us even worse on defending. Fair play to the lads, they kept to a bad plan, but feel really gutted as a supporter when I know the lads can do better. It was obviously a hard call to get a result, but the plan let us 5,000 supporters down. Its going to be a long trek back for us, knowing we could of done better. But lets put this aside and concentrate now for Saturday.

Its a bad hiccup, but maybe we can take the medicine and kick off at the weekend and fight for 3 points. Disappointed but always a Black n White.

What a load of balderdash
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 99
forza ivano
September 26, 2019, 10:36am

Exile
Quoted from mariner91
Enjoyed that. Not the result we wanted but the goal was great and for five minutes after it I thought we could maybe give them a proper game but it wasn't to be. Chelsea were quality and the gulf in both the technical and physical ability was evident. The Town fans were great and I'm proud of the lads for giving it a go.

That being said, I'm worried about the way Jolley set the team up. Going man for man marking can work, he's done this before with us and he did it with success against Malmo when in Sweden. However, that can only work when there isn't too much physical or technical difference between the players. It may have worked in Sweden where, no offence to Swedish footballers, but even the best Swedish players don't play in their league. It will not work against England internationals and World Cup winners. You are essentially saying, we are going to match you man for man and because of that the lads never had a chance tonight. You've got to set up to be hard to break down and have a system in place that makes the team greater than the sum of it's parts. Their movement created huge holes all the time because we weren't keeping a shape (it took me ages to work out what our set up even was) and their superiority shone through. Luckily Macca kept the score almost respectable.The fact that Jolley set up like this which, in my opinion, is so completely wrong in the circumstances makes me question his tactical understanding of the game and that's a big concern going forward. I think he's recognised and addressed the fact we lacked physicality in the squad and had no presence up front which meant the ball kept coming back. But I think with the players at our disposal now, he should be getting more out of them.

Quick word for Max Wright, he was great. Deserves to be starting games.

but you seem to forget that the very same plan came oh-so-close to getting us a result at Palace , even playing most of the game with 10 men. the problem last night was that firstly Zouma was class above Malmo's and Palce's centre halves.you may remember the palace centre half continually wasting or over hitting passes whereas Zouma knew what he was doing with the ball at his feet. Secondly at Palace we had Rose and Hall-Johnson ,who for all their technical shortcomings, were quick and athletic. Compare and contrast with most of our players last night who, to me, look like 'plodders' and not half as athletic. for me whitehouse and clifton were disappointments - clifton looks to have gone backwards in the last 12 months.
I will doff my cap to Macca, Gibson, Hewitt , Hess and Hanson who like the others ran their heart out, but also competed well with significant contributions.
Final word for Max Wright who 12 months ago was turning out for Boston United at Curzon Ashton, he came on and really gave it a go. he didn't look overawed and played really well. Hope him and his dad really enjoyed the experience and that it fires him on to greater heights

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 99
LondonMariner43
September 26, 2019, 10:41am
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
I was sitting with a Chelsea fan and he was saying how the transfer ban was a good thing because it forced Chelsea to bring through young plays rather than just reach into the transfer market.  I told him about the number of local and youth team products in our squad and he was saying what a great thing to have a club more embedded in the community than Chelsea have been.  We have some stuff to be positive and proud about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 99
TownSNAFU5
September 26, 2019, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Chelsea spend the millions - Pulnisic £58m - but their young players are the real stars.  There could be 8 or more full England capped players from their squad last night. They have that much quality.  

Our thrashing might look better in 10 years time. 😉

My daughter is 31 and takes no interest in football.  She texted this morning to say that she heard we scored a good goal and that Grimsby were trending on twitter last night.

We scores the best goal when Wed beat us 7-1 as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 99
marinerdazza
September 26, 2019, 10:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,781
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Chelsea spend the millions - Pulnisic £58m - but their young players are the real stars.  There could be 8 or more full England capped players from their squad last night. They have that much quality.  

Well frankly they should be given that Chelsea have been vacuuming up all the youth talent for years, despite never playing them. The plaudits last night about them being fantastic for fielding teenagers made me a bit sick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 99
Mariner93er
September 26, 2019, 10:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Worth remembering that any cup shocks almost exclusively occur when the prem team are playing away, on a pitch that isn't as condusive to passing footbsll. Yesterday, the pitch was like a pool table as you'd expect. Had the game been at Blundell Park, their style of play becomes much harder to implement. Thst's why Newport have been succesful st home in the cup, even Sunday league players are used to playing on better surfaces than theirs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 99
lew chaterleys lover
September 26, 2019, 11:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Well that was a chastening experience and one I would not like to go through again.

I think the manager got just about everything wrong. To play a team of centre-halves and holding midfield players, some of whom haven't even played regularly in League 2 this season was a big mistake.

With no outlet of Ogbu or Wright or any forward momentum from Cook we were like lambs to the slaughter. To allow their centre halves to casually stroll well into our half to start every attack - what was that all about??

Chelsea were fantastic and would have beaten most premier league teams with that side, whoever started for us, but our manager put out just about the worst team he could to confirm to Chelsea that we are just league 2 fodder.

In our league campaign I wish we had players who would stay wide to give us options on the ball; I think this idea of having to defend with 11 players when the opposition have the ball is a bit old hat isn't it?

We scored a great goal which was fantastic for the fans, but it could and perhaps should have been a cricket score.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 99
diehardmariner
September 26, 2019, 11:37am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
No escaping the fact that we were torn a new anus last night.  Chelsea were streets ahead of us in every aspect.  As a unit and individually just so superior, as you would expect.

If I'm honest I think the score probably flattered us in the end.  You can argue that it was only towards the end that they really started to cut us open again but football is a 90 minute game, not a 75 one.  Our lads were left dead on their feet whereas the Chelsea lads looked like they could go for another hour.

Unfortunately I do agree that we set up a bit too negative and naively.  First of all going man-to-man for everyone against players like those that Chelsea fielded is asking for trouble in my mind.   With such system as soon as someone beats their man, that's it everything else is open as the other defenders are pre-occupied.  I won't claim to know how we should have set up but I don't think the system did us any favours.   Starting with a side to grind it out also brings the risk of your game plan going out the window to an early goal, as it did for us.

That all said, we could have played any system and Chelsea would have beat us, comfortably.  Big shame we couldn't get to the break at 2-1 as that third goal killed us off.  Would liked to have seen us hold out for 60 minutes and then unleash Rose and Wright on them.

Don't think anyone let themselves down and a great experience for our lads.  

Absolutely boiling in that ground though, couldn't do that every other week.  Give me a fresh sea breeze!!
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 99
Mariner Timsky
September 26, 2019, 11:48am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Approval: +1,533
Quoted from diehardmariner
No escaping the fact that we were torn a new anus last night.  Chelsea were streets ahead of us in every aspect.  As a unit and individually just so superior, as you would expect.

If I'm honest I think the score probably flattered us in the end.  You can argue that it was only towards the end that they really started to cut us open again but football is a 90 minute game, not a 75 one.  Our lads were left dead on their feet whereas the Chelsea lads looked like they could go for another hour.

Unfortunately I do agree that we set up a bit too negative and naively.  First of all going man-to-man for everyone against players like those that Chelsea fielded is asking for trouble in my mind.   With such system as soon as someone beats their man, that's it everything else is open as the other defenders are pre-occupied.  I won't claim to know how we should have set up but I don't think the system did us any favours.   Starting with a side to grind it out also brings the risk of your game plan going out the window to an early goal, as it did for us.

That all said, we could have played any system and Chelsea would have beat us, comfortably.  Big shame we couldn't get to the break at 2-1 as that third goal killed us off.  Would liked to have seen us hold out for 60 minutes and then unleash Rose and Wright on them.

[/b]Absolutely boiling in that ground though, couldn't do that every other week.  Give me a fresh sea breeze!!
[b]

It was a tad stuffy - I kept asking the stewards to open a window to let some air in but they just looked at me gone out

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 99
Heisenberg
September 26, 2019, 12:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,954
Gold Stars: 93
I do believe we need to start with either Cook or Robson every game now.  I like all of our midfielders, but those two have that extra guile needed, and we really needed it last night.

No arguments from me, Chelsea were superb.  I know some have said that CHO didn't do much, but I think this was his first game since April, and considering that he was still pretty damn good!  We could list the other Chelsea players who stood out but it would take ages.

As for Stamford Bridge, I liked it and the view was great, but a bit like Palace, the concourses were again a bit pokey, and the staff were not geared-up for serving 5,000 Mariners with food and drinks.  I think this poor planning has to be addressed at our new ground, if we are to ever get one, and I honestly believe it would be relatively easy for a decent professional person who's in the service industry to set-up.  No clubs seem to have this element sorted, not one.  Also, simply not enough bogs either.  Oh, and the entry points to the seats were narrow too - I'm surprised these grounds get their fire certificates if I'm honest, god knows how you'd get out if there was a real issue, it would take an age.....

The fans did the club proud last night, but it's always inevitable when you have 5,000 travelling fans that a certain percentage of pond life will turn up, and they did not disappoint.  The police seemed very reasonable, but I can't help but think they were woefully understaffed if trouble had started.  The stewarding outside the ground seemed really good, though, very helpful.

Did anyone else see Lloyd Griffiths possibly getting a bit of hassle at the end from a drunken tool?  Not sure what was happening there, but Lloyd was trying to get away from this guy.  I took my eye off what was happening and they seemed to disappear, so hopefully the issue went away and wasn't too serious.......

Oh, and the journey home - my god, that was a nightmare.  Got to Cockfosters at 11:30pm, and the drive from there took 4 hours because the A1 exit on the M25 was closed, there was a sign saying the M1 was closed between junctions 8 and 9, so I had to take a diversion through St Albans to get onto the A1.  But that was nothing - on the A1 it just closed, had diversion signs that took you south by about 10 miles, then across to Cambridge!  All that added an hour.  I'll probably not travel home on the same night if we have a similar southern midweek fixture again.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 99
forza ivano
September 26, 2019, 12:03pm

Exile
Quoted from diehardmariner

Absolutely boiling in that ground though, couldn't do that every other week.  Give me a fresh sea breeze!!

but the idea is not simply man to man, it is based on us playing with a floating man at the back a 'mopper up' like we had with Rose at Palace, so that if our player gets beaten there is a spare man available to 'mop up' . this obviously leaves the opponents with 1 spare man; versus palace and Malmo MJ identifies the opponent with the least technical ability (usually the lumbering  centre half as we saw at Palace). Every other of the 9 remaining outfield players is man marked by 1 of our remaining 9 outfield players, so making them play the ball to the technically inept centre half.He is allowed to bring the ball forward, because on the balance of probabilities he is going to feck it up (as he repeatedly did at Palace). the problem last night is that Zouma may not be quite as good technically as Berekely or Hudson-odoi, but he is still bloody good! didn't help that we didn't have any pace or that Clifton was painfully shown up in terms of pace and ability
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 99
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 26, 2019, 12:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mariner93er
Worth remembering that any cup shocks almost exclusively occur when the prem team are playing away, on a pitch that isn't as condusive to passing footbsll. Yesterday, the pitch was like a pool table as you'd expect. Had the game been at Blundell Park, their style of play becomes much harder to implement. Thst's why Newport have been succesful st home in the cup, even Sunday league players are used to playing on better surfaces than theirs.

If you select a starting eleven like we had, it would not have mattered if the game was on Bradley Pitches.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 99
TownSNAFU5
September 26, 2019, 1:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Heisenberg, another comment on the Upper Shed:  there were no rails for getting up to the higher rows.  At least the UF has these!

After a few beers had a coffee at the ground.  Very surprised that it was only a £1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 99
monkeyboy
September 26, 2019, 1:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Am i alone thinking Whitehouse been a bit off the boil for a few games barring last night?
I do like the look of Robson to be fair.

Think Hess at the moment is the only consistent mid we have, Clifton will come good but remember hes still a kid and learning.

Think our mid is and has been not great for a good while now and teams can at time pretty much cut through us like we have 2 Jamie Clarkes(remember him?) playing there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 99
monkeyboy
September 26, 2019, 1:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Am i alone thinking Whitehouse been a bit off the boil for a few games barring last night?
I do like the look of Robson to be fair.

Think Hess at the moment is the only consistent mid we have, Clifton will come good but remember hes still a kid and learning.

Think our mid is and has been not great for a good while now and teams can at time pretty much cut through us like we have 2 Jamie Clarkes(remember him?) playing there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 99
Hagrid
September 26, 2019, 1:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Just won a tenner on the chelsea raffle too, checked my ticket and within 5 minutes the money was in my account! Very modern
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 99
Mariner93er
September 26, 2019, 1:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
To be perfectly honest,I'm not sure what Whitehouse brings to the team (this judgement not being based on last night). He's not particularly good on the ball and I think he's weak defensively. Beyong Hess, I think our midfield 3 is wesk as a defensive unit, most selections based on their ability to cover lots of ground as opposed intelligent defensive play. Considering this, we may as well play two better footballers in Cook and Gibson to try and get on the front foot in games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 99
Hagrid
September 26, 2019, 1:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I agree^ clifton has gone backwards and been woeful so far this season, whitehouse has had a year out and it shows. Play cook and robson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 99
buckstown
September 26, 2019, 1:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
It's tough watching your team get stuffed. I'm watching England smash USA in the rugby world cup and thinking go on boys, crush em. Last night after 80 minutes I just wanted it to end, probably like the USA fans now.
My overriding impression is that we should count the money and be proud. The fans were incredible and the team did it's best. The fans  just got a mention on Talksport, still singing at 5-1 down and they sounded amazing on TV
Lets hope that the younger guys learnt from the experience and didn't incur any lasting psychological damage!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 99
mimma
September 26, 2019, 2:25pm
Brandy Drinker
The one Town player that stood out for us was Max Wright, when he came on. Can't understand why he doesn't start when Clifton does. Max was the one player to run at the Chelsea defence and caused them problems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 99
bedders78
September 26, 2019, 3:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from buckstown
Last night after 80 minutes I just wanted it to end, probably like the USA fans now.

I assume the USA fans got their wish

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 99
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 26, 2019, 3:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

but the idea is not simply man to man, it is based on us playing with a floating man at the back a 'mopper up' like we had with Rose at Palace, so that if our player gets beaten there is a spare man available to 'mop up' . this obviously leaves the opponents with 1 spare man; versus palace and Malmo MJ identifies the opponent with the least technical ability (usually the lumbering  centre half as we saw at Palace). Every other of the 9 remaining outfield players is man marked by 1 of our remaining 9 outfield players, so making them play the ball to the technically inept centre half.He is allowed to bring the ball forward, because on the balance of probabilities he is going to feck it up (as he repeatedly did at Palace). the problem last night is that Zouma may not be quite as good technically as Berekely or Hudson-odoi, but he is still bloody good! didn't help that we didn't have any pace or that Clifton was painfully shown up in terms of pace and ability

You are right there Forza. That is the theory. But if you put all your eggs in one basket and somebody drops it inside 5 minutes, you have got problems. In any case you need all your players to be capable of the pick up and stay with an opponent. At that level against kids who themselves have a lot to prove to their manager, it is a big ask. Our manager never gave his side a chance. Drop back and concede ground if you must but what do you do when you eventually get the ball and you have no ball carriers and no pace in the selection?

I am far from impressed with the manager’s tactical acumen to be honest and I think he needs to worry less about opponents, nail his colours to the mast ,  get a settled 11/12/13 players regularly playing in the same positions with the same basic tactics pressing opponents higher up the pitch to give his strikers some service. Otherwise by Christmas we will be wondering where all the goals have gone that Hanson & co. looked like scoring.

Private Message
Reply: 67 - 99
forza ivano
September 26, 2019, 4:06pm

Exile

You are right there Forza. That is the theory. But if you put all your eggs in one basket and somebody drops it inside 5 minutes, you have got problems. In any case you need all your players to be capable of the pick up and stay with an opponent. At that level against kids who themselves have a lot to prove to their manager, it is a big ask. Our manager never gave his side a chance. Drop back and concede ground if you must but what do you do when you eventually get the ball and you have no ball carriers and no pace in the selection?

I am far from impressed with the manager’s tactical acumen to be honest and I think he needs to worry less about opponents, nail his colours to the mast ,  get a settled 11/12/13 players regularly playing in the same positions with the same basic tactics pressing opponents higher up the pitch to give his strikers some service. Otherwise by Christmas we will be wondering where all the goals have gone that Hanson & co. looked like scoring.

personally i think if he'd done that and gone a bit more gung ho, then Chelsea would've got into double figures. it worked well against lincoln and palace last season, it's just several of last night's team were found wanting, plus we are very unlikely to meet a team with quite that level of quality
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 99
lew chaterleys lover
September 26, 2019, 4:11pm
Whiskey Drinker

Hear hear.

We have got better players than last year, lets start using them properly.

It think his tinkering invariably back fires. We would have been hammered last night with whatever format/players he used because Chelsea were just too good. However, his team selection was giving up before we had kicked off.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 99
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 26, 2019, 4:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

personally i think if he'd done that and gone a bit more gung ho, then Chelsea would've got into double figures. it worked well against lincoln and palace last season, it's just several of last night's team were found wanting, plus we are very unlikely to meet a team with quite that level of quality

I’d rather lose 10-4 than 7-1.  

Private Message
Reply: 70 - 99
KingstonMariner
September 26, 2019, 4:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
If you’re going to criticise the manager for not sticking to the same 11,12,13 players then you can’t knock him for not changing the team. How else are Whitehouse and Clifton going to come good as a unit.

Sure no one is immune from criticism. Whitehouse was at fault for goal number 5(?) when he should have just put his foot through the ball. Someone said we should have started with more technically gifted players, then mentioned Ogbu as one who should have started! He was like a headless chicken and had the ball control of ....well me.

The other factor is the injuries which forced changes to the back line can’t have helped.

Just accept we were outclassed.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 99
lew chaterleys lover
September 26, 2019, 4:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
If you’re going to criticise the manager for not sticking to the same 11,12,13 players then you can’t knock him for not changing the team. How else are Whitehouse and Clifton going to come good as a unit.

Sure no one is immune from criticism. Whitehouse was at fault for goal number 5(?) when he should have just put his foot through the ball. Someone said we should have started with more technically gifted players, then mentioned Ogbu as one who should have started! He was like a headless chicken and had the ball control of ....well me.

The other factor is the injuries which forced changes to the back line can’t have helped.

Just accept we were outclassed.

You must be a very good player then. Do you do somersaults?
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 99
jock dock tower
September 26, 2019, 8:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Just a few observations on last night as it's only midweek games I get the option of going to.

The Town fans were absolutely immense, to keep that level of song up for the whole ninety minutes as your team are getting a seeing to was something else.

Town tactics. We kicked off four times in the first half, and every time we did so it was played back and then punted down the pitch. We lost possession each time, so why did the manager advise them to try something different. To me that was more than a wee bit embarrassing. If you're playing the ball long, a Town player has only got a fifty fifty chance of winning the ball, and if he is successful, the chance of Town getting the second ball is only fifty fifty. You therefore have only a one in four chance of winning any such balls, against a good team it's a lot less. We should have tried to take the sting out of the game each time in such situations and played the ball across the back for a time.

Looking at the BBC stats we had 8 shots. For a team at our level away at Chelsea that's not bad going by any stretch of the imagination. When we got the game back to 2-1 we actually started to take the game a bit to them, and I was mightily impressed with the way we played. That daft penalty screwed everything up though.

Have to admit, I left about 4 minutes before the end to beat the traffic and any possible issues as I had to walk back to Earls Court for my hotel. We were only 6-1 down then and in all honesty I couldn't see the comeback on the cards.

Sad note. The night before a young Arsenal fan was stabbed to death after being chased on one of the stations when he was on his way to the game. There are still the psychopaths about who can make such a wonderful night as we had into something else. No mother should not expect to see her son again after going to a game.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 99
golfer
September 26, 2019, 9:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
The attempt at man to man marking was the reason for us conceding the first 2 goals. For the second Hess was actually running away from the man with the ball. If you mark man for man against class you are easily drawn out of any resemblance of formation and this is what happened. At several times it looked like bagatelle -we just didn't know where the ball was going
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 99
LH
September 26, 2019, 9:17pm

Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Why?

Didn't they leave at 12:30? that's over 7 hours before kick-off...

And the coach probably set off 1 hour after the full time whistle?

Guess you expected London to be quiet?

No I didn’t expect London to be quiet hence why I’m a bit miffed that we didn’t set off a lot earlier like anyone with any sense did at about 1000. Aiming to arrive via the M4 at roughly 1700 was, at best, optimistic. Having never been to SB before I was hoping to have a look about and a couple of pints but I was forced into having to go straight in.

We were the last coach to leave because we’d parked miles away and an elderly couple couldn’t find their way back in the dark. Long term night closures of the A1 not factored in either. Looks as though we were lucky as one of the hired coaches gearbox went mammaries and we got back at the rather early 0430.

I haven’t travelled by coach in about ten years and yesterday reminded why I don’t bother with it.

*edit- also asked if there was any chance we could go down Laceby Road so I could jump out there and save myself a bit of time and money getting a taxi back. Driver said we wouldn’t be going that way and they wouldn’t do drops anyway. We went down Laceby Road and overtook another bus dropping people at Bradley Crossroads.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 99
Mrs Doyle
September 26, 2019, 9:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Does not get any LOUDER OR BETTER THAN THIS are you sure you went????

https://youtu.be/9VvWapSJy0E

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 99
TownSNAFU5
September 26, 2019, 10:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Assessing the team and tactics last night - and in the league - is difficult.  I have just watched the highlights on Quest.  Forest were equally thrashed by quality players.  They are 2 divisions higher.

I think we had all the effort in the world but lacked the confidence and/or courage to at least show some quality and ask them questions. We tried to avoid a thrashing which we got anyway.

Whitehouse and Clifton are, for Injury reasons etc, not giving us very much.  Whitehouse was nearest to the ball a few times last but they got to it first each time.  I know they  are quick but............

Ogbu should be at the Rugby World Club.  He is skilled at trapping the ball into touch.  Poor Hess having to do nearly everything.

Robson,Vernam and Cook can all offer some offensive skill and redress the “100% effort”  approach that we had.  Plus the only plan A “long for Hanson”.  We should have displayed more skill.

Max Wright came on and had 2 or 3 runs at pace.  Given more time he would have at least given them something to think about.  He always does well as a sub and creates chances.  One run past 3 or 4 Chelsea players would have worth the journey.  Why should we not expect this?  He is an unknown quantity and quality.

Crewe played football far closer to Chelsea than to us.  We could have drawn with them if we scored the pen.  They were however, much better than us.  I know Crewe were well-beaten by Villa.  But if they dominated the first 10 mins at BP, I think that they would have given Chelsea a better game than we did. A lot more adventurous.  Have a go.

Chelsea would have likely gained a much better appreciation of the footballing qualities of Div 2 players.

II would like us to move gradually to the Crewe skills rather than having Ogbu (why does he have his own song?) etc and only playing Plan A to Hanson all game, every week.  Max Wright fits this aim perfectly.

In the 1980s we were famous for our passing and football skills, even as a small, unfashionable northern club. The programme last night acknowledged this ironically.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 99
Northbank Mariner
September 26, 2019, 10:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Just got thinking that one name hasn't been mentioned...how much did we miss Waterfalls presence and experience last night??..we had 2 centre halves who have had very little playing time recently, one who had a crocked shoulder and the other a young lad who's only played against low level opponents...
So in no way can be disgruntled or upset about a defeat to a team that was made up of top level internationals and some of the brightest prospects in the English football..
And, we scored the best goal of the night... love to see him repeat that at BP Infront of a packed pontoon...👍⚽
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 99
blundellpork
September 26, 2019, 10:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,650
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from Heisenberg

Oh, and the journey home - my god, that was a nightmare.  Got to Cockfosters at 11:30pm, and the drive from there took 4 hours because the A1 exit on the M25 was closed, there was a sign saying the M1 was closed between junctions 8 and 9, so I had to take a diversion through St Albans to get onto the A1.  But that was nothing - on the A1 it just closed, had diversion signs that took you south by about 10 miles, then across to Cambridge!  All that added an hour.  I'll probably not travel home on the same night if we have a similar southern midweek fixture again.

The round closure south of Peterborough was ridiculous. Had to turn back south on the A1 only to head to Cambridge! We saw loads of people turning off into that village off the A1 wondering where to go. Fortunately I knew some of the roads around there and could cut out part of the diversion. After St Albans, the Peterborough, closure of the A1 exit at Newark was most unwelcome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 99
Heisenberg
September 26, 2019, 11:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from bedders78

I assume the USA fans got their wish

Excellent!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 99
Heisenberg
September 26, 2019, 11:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from LH

No I didn’t expect London to be quiet hence why I’m a bit miffed that we didn’t set off a lot earlier like anyone with any sense did at about 1000. Aiming to arrive via the M4 at roughly 1700 was, at best, optimistic. Having never been to SB before I was hoping to have a look about and a couple of pints but I was forced into having to go straight in.

We were the last coach to leave because we’d parked miles away and an elderly couple couldn’t find their way back in the dark. Long term night closures of the A1 not factored in either. Looks as though we were lucky as one of the hired coaches gearbox went mammaries and we got back at the rather early 0430.

I haven’t travelled by coach in about ten years and yesterday reminded why I don’t bother with it.

*edit- also asked if there was any chance we could go down Laceby Road so I could jump out there and save myself a bit of time and money getting a taxi back. Driver said we wouldn’t be going that way and they wouldn’t do drops anyway. We went down Laceby Road and overtook another bus dropping people at Bradley Crossroads.

That last bit, I would be going crazy at that. Just simply pig headed, and not acceptable. I would never go by coach for these reasons, AND the stupid not-drinking rule.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 99
Heisenberg
September 26, 2019, 11:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from blundellpork

The round closure south of Peterborough was ridiculous. Had to turn back south on the A1 only to head to Cambridge! We saw loads of people turning off into that village off the A1 wondering where to go. Fortunately I knew some of the roads around there and could cut out part of the diversion. After St Albans, the Peterborough, closure of the A1 exit at Newark was most unwelcome.

That whole episode was diabolical. I’ve never been so confused driving a car.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 99
RonMariner
September 26, 2019, 11:41pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,538
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Heisenberg

That whole episode was diabolical. I’ve never been so confused driving a car.

The M1 was closed from junction 8 to 9, with no diversion signage. So out return to the midlands took an age, and involved a sight seeing tour of Leyton Buzzard and other beauty spots. Just what we needed.

Regarding the game, that Chelsea team were fantastic. Barclay was top rate, and bossed the game. They had such pace throughout the side it was frightening. There is no shame in losing to them. I hope the players don't dwell on it.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 99
toontown
September 27, 2019, 8:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Lots of effort put in by the players, Chelsea's team selection was strong tho and their attitude and desire were key, they were really on it. The fact they haven't won at home yet this season concentrated Chelsea minds I suspect into taking this more seriously than they may have otherwise done.

Our goal was sensational, great moment for us fans and for 15 minutes after it seemed we may incredibly have been able to force our way back into the game, but the pen just before half time killed it off.

No shame at All for the players, simply outclassed, some of the opposition were playing in the world cup finals last summer! They tried but it was too much. Premiership teams have lost to The big sides by worse scoreline. The fans were amazing, brilliant all game, altho we lost heavily I enjoyed the experience of the day and the fact we scored and took the game to them for a while made it for me.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 99
bedders78
September 27, 2019, 9:25am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from blundellpork

Yes, we had a "lovely" tour through the picturesque St Noets, Offord D'Arcy, Offord Cluny and Godmanchester.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 99
mimma
September 27, 2019, 10:24am
Brandy Drinker
Do you think that what happened to Spurs and Man U. helped focus them, and if we played them before those games Chelsea might have took it a bit easier?

No saying we could have won, just not thrashed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 99
grimsby pete
September 27, 2019, 10:45am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Maybe Frank Lampard will feel sorry for us and loan 2 or 3 of his younger players to us in January.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 99
toontown
September 27, 2019, 11:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Quoted from mimma
Do you think that what happened to Spurs and Man U. helped focus them, and if we played them before those games Chelsea might have took it a bit easier?

No saying we could have won, just not thrashed

Spurs quite possibly yes. Man u game was same time as ours so can't have had any effect
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 99
Hagrid
September 27, 2019, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
[/b]

Does not get any LOUDER OR BETTER THAN THIS are you sure you went????

https://youtu.be/9VvWapSJy0E

yep, I go a hell of a lot more than you. being surrounded by plastic one time a season fans didn't help matters in the back rows of the lower. get over yourself
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 99
topuphere666
September 27, 2019, 11:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
You go more than someone else? Does that make you a better fan?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 99
Hagrid
September 27, 2019, 12:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from topuphere666
You go more than someone else? Does that make you a better fan?

Ask someone if they even went then you’ll get that response
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 99
Skrill
September 27, 2019, 2:39pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Video of the game has 1 million views and is 17 on Youtube trending lmao.

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 99
Stadium
September 27, 2019, 5:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Skrill
Video of the game has 1 million views and is 17 on Youtube trending lmao.

Fabulous 👍
What's no.1 btw??

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 99
Stadium
September 27, 2019, 5:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Ask someone if they even went then you’ll get that response

"No 1 town fan".

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 99
Stadium
September 27, 2019, 6:06pm
Champagne Drinker

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 99
Mrs Doyle
September 27, 2019, 6:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

yep, I go a hell of a lot more than you. being surrounded by plastic one time a season fans didn't help matters in the back rows of the lower. get over yourself

Really how do you know that then? I am a supporter of 50+ years are you sure???

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 99
Mrs Doyle
September 27, 2019, 6:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mimma
We were all over the place until Green hit it to score. After that we looked ok until the penalty. Max Wright looked good when he came on.
The gulf in class is immense.  The way they moved us around and picked us off was awesome if painful to watch. They never eased up and put us to the sword.
Town fans were increadable. The noise that we created until the final whistle was incredible.
A word about Chelsea, the ground, the stewards, the facilities are first class. Lot better than it looks on TV.

Coach No9 I too was on that one Felt for the driver it wasn't his fault but had problems finding the pick up point after tthe game due to this.

Credit to the driver he waited until everyone was on board before he left.

Despite not having a stop on the way home it did not spoil my day not sure why he was getting slagged off from the back of the coach though and yes I did tip the driver not many did.

Must say the organisation from the begginig was bad they should have used the back road maybe opening Ramsdens old car park.

It was chaos down Cleethorpe rd loads of people walking in the road looking for their coach number, Traffic gridlocked due to coaches parked down there.

Not good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 99
Gaffer58
September 27, 2019, 11:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Mrs Doyle, you say the coach didn't stop on the way home, no toilet break at all, that's why I went by car, could stop every half hour as required.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 99
lukeo
September 28, 2019, 8:45am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,295
Gold Stars: 134
Quoted from Gaffer58
Mrs Doyle, you say the coach didn't stop on the way home, no toilet break at all, that's why I went by car, could stop every half hour as required.

All the coaches had a toillet on board didn't they??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 99
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back, or still there

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.