Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR (sorry!)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 347 Guests

VAR (sorry!)

This thread currently has 11,395 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
August 11, 2019, 11:16am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,657
Gold Stars: 847
Absolute shite, slow clap for everyone involved in reaching this point -

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/h439sHtQ/1-B92-F5-B5-6-D84-445-D-A013-4-DF1-AE90-B311.jpg[/img]
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 94
Rodley Mariner
August 11, 2019, 11:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Clearly gaining an unfair advantage with his shoulder creep. Thank god this sort of terrible decision is now a thing of the past.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 94
moosey_club
August 11, 2019, 11:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ska face

“Well if you’re onside, you’re onside”

Can you not see how ridiculous your own argument is now?

No , it reinforces my point about playing to the current ruling...its black and white...you are off if any part of your body is in an advance of the last man.....that way there can be absolutely no advantage/ disadvantage which should therefore be fair for all.  Any other interpretation gives an advantage to one side or the other.
The offside rule in itself isnt broken , VAR is just giving a heightened definition which the human eye would not be able to pick up in many instances. If the TV camera's and media hadnt been highlighting every "human error" made by an official during the Sky era then VAR wouldnt exist, we would just accept its swings and roundabouts.
Dont get me wrong, i dislike VAR and am glad it doesnt really apply to us as yet , FA Cup aside, but like goaline technology it can be useful to reach correct decisions.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 94
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2019, 11:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
I might have missed something but how in anyone’s name was that ‘a clear and obvious error ‘?
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 94
Rik e B
August 11, 2019, 11:56am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
VAR simply makes sure the decision is correct as the current ruling stands. To repeat once again its the rule that needs looking at with a bit of leniency given to attackers preferable in future. Whether that's clear daylight or all the leading foot in front of the defenders or whatever.

With the possible huge ramifications and many many millions potentially won or lost or going down in the halls of fame or not over, it is essential the right decision is made.

That is in my opinion, I fully understand the thoughts of those against it all though. In a way, I agree, I just feel the need to make the right decision outweighs the counter argument.

It will streamline itself in time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 94
moosey_club
August 11, 2019, 12:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Rik e B
VAR simply makes sure the decision is correct as the current ruling stands. To repeat once again its the rule that needs looking at with a bit of leniency given to attackers preferable in future. Whether that's clear daylight or all the leading foot in front of the defenders or whatever.

With the possible huge ramifications and many many millions potentially won or lost or going down in the halls of fame or not over, it is essential the right decision is made.

That is in my opinion, I fully understand the thoughts of those against it all though. In a way, I agree, I just feel the need to make the right decision outweighs the counter argument.

It will streamline itself in time.

Exactly.

Being more of a defender by trade i dont see why everyone is keen to give the striker the advantages though...old slow defenders like me need all the help we can get  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 94
rancido
August 11, 2019, 12:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 213[b
]Anyone who thinks VAR (not goalline technology) is a good idea in its current format might as well fook off & play tiddlywinks and let the rest of us get on with enjoying some common sense.
[/b]
The offside rule is designed to stop players getting an unfair advantage - can anyone tell us what advantage players are gaining from having a part of their shoulder millimetres in front of the defender’s shoulder when moving in opposite directions?

The millions of pounds paid to pundits and not one of them has offered any insight beyond “well there’s a lot at stake nowadays”...yeah, like what? Prem teams are handed hundreds of millions of pounds a year and don’t even pay their staff a living wage, so what’s really at stake is an extra ten, fifty, hundred grand for some whopper to be sat on the bench.

The Premier League has absolutely killed football at that level with their insatiable greed, it’s disgusting. The problem is the sycophants & enablers they allow it to happen.

But surely they are part and parcel of the same thing - using a camera and technology to determine an outcome. If a ball is 1cm over the goal line then a goal is given , so why shouldn't the same criteria apply if a player is 1cm off-side? You can't mix and match the technology that suits and that that doesn't.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 94
robborhino
August 11, 2019, 12:26pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +139
People are concentrating on all the bad things that happened (not cos of the tech but the rule makers) but there was some good things about VAR i.e West Ham players in the penalty area when the kick was taken
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 94
Rik e B
August 11, 2019, 12:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I suppose Moosey if the attackers were given advantage then behemoths like Man City who more often than not on the front foot would devour all in their path just the more.

So I dunno where the happy medium is on offside exactly, I just know it's important to get the ruling as per the current laws of the game right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 94
ska face
August 11, 2019, 12:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,657
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from rancido

But surely they are part and parcel of the same thing - using a camera and technology to determine an outcome. If a ball is 1cm over the goal line then a goal is given , so why shouldn't the same criteria apply if a player is 1cm off-side? You can't mix and match the technology that suits and that that doesn't.

Try reading the post again ffs, specifically the bit about offside being used to stop players gaining an unfair advantage.

If the ball’s in, its in. If an attack’s shoulder is offside by 1mm, what advantage is being gained?
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR (sorry!)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.