Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR (sorry!)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 244 Guests

VAR (sorry!)

This thread currently has 11,375 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 11, 2019, 1:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rick12
Yes but overall I still wage that most fans would want it implemented.I think Fifa have done extensive research on players and clubs alike on whether they want it implemented and most said they would.For me its a huge blessing to the game.Think of yourself as a player playing for England and a goal is wrongly disallowed in the semi finals of the world cup at 0-0 in the 92nd minute.Your dreams will be wrongly shattered.

Look back at the 2018 world cup when VAR was first implemented. Yes there were teething problems but once fans get used to it most I think will like and embrace it.Its like anything some people will be against change but once used for the greater good most will come to accept it.

I would place VAR in the same bin as the technology used to in-tune voices and instruments at festivals. Yes it makes someone like McCartney sound perfect in voice and backing but it sounds nothing like the real thing with all its duff notes and forgotten lyrics. If they could have made Woodstock aurally perfect would it be better?

VAR is crap, that is my considered opinion. It ruins a human activity by interpolating a technology in-between the human interactions. It will work, no doubt about it. There will be slavish devotees of technology who will praise it. More importantly there will be money people who want it and want the changes to the game it will help to bring and they are the ones putting FIFA under enormous pressure to bring in these gadgets and gimmicks. But proper football at top flight is now a dead duck as far as I am concerned, I'm not interested in a stop-start. betting fest. The Championship is their next target if they think there's enough money to be made from it.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 94
mariner91
August 11, 2019, 1:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,577
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Rick12
But them penalty decisions where the VAR was used yesterday in the Man City game could of been pivotal if the score was only 0-0 with 10 minutes to go.

For me though sport and football go beyond entertainment but mirror life in general.Hence trying to better yourself both emotionally and physically and also helping society in general.Hence football serves a social need as well eg brings community and gives life and happiness to so many people .As Bill Shankly once said "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

Football is entertainment. If people weren't entertained watching it, then they wouldn't watch it. VAR makes the game less entertaining.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 94
mariner91
August 11, 2019, 1:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,577
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Rick12
Yes perhaps that was a wrong study to use but to me still represents a snapshot of the game.I still feel a consensus of football fans around the world eg over 50% would still want to see VAR implemented?

[youtube]nP6wGZyQZN4[/youtube]

Very popular at this England game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 94
Rick12
August 11, 2019, 1:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

I would place VAR in the same bin as the technology used to in-tune voices and instruments at festivals. Yes it makes someone like McCartney sound perfect in voice and backing but it sounds nothing like the real thing with all its duff notes and forgotten lyrics. If they could have made Woodstock aurally perfect would it be better?

Each to their own Ron

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 94
RonMariner
August 11, 2019, 1:46pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,539
Gold Stars: 224
I was all in favour of introducing VAR to eliminate gross errors such as the Lampard 'goal' v Germany, or the Henri handball v Eire.

But the way it has been implemented regarding offside is very poor. The rule is that you are onside if level with the defender. However, goals are now being ruled out when a slither of toe or shoulder is a milimeter beyond the defender when the main bulk of the attackers body is actually level.

I think VAR should be used in the same way as in other sports such as cricket and Tennis. Each team can have a maximum of, say, two appeals during a game. That way obvious errors can be spotted without every single incident being painstakingly scrutinised.   I would view that as a good compromise.  

If the current approach persist then players will have to adapt by remaining well behind the defender, thus effectively giving the defence a head start when timing runs. I can't see that being good for the game and it will probably lead to fewer goal scoring opportunities.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 94
RonMariner
August 11, 2019, 1:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,539
Gold Stars: 224

You don't think Paul McCartney can sing!!

Blimey. Heard it all now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 94
LH
August 11, 2019, 1:53pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,461
Gold Stars: 172
Goal line technology - yes but should be available for all games in a competition (PL or CL) or none at all (not selected games like only at PL stadia in the FA Cup as we fell foul of at Palace).

VAR in-game. Not for me.

Retrospective yellow cards (and rescinding of) for tallies for diving and conning refs would be more welcome than spooling back to see if someones half foot was in the box before a penalty was struck.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 94
Gaffer58
August 11, 2019, 2:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
The cheating side should be looked at, does VAR check if the player had dived for penalties, also when a player gets caught on his chest but goes down holding his face as if he'd been shot, is VAR checking this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 94
Ruston AT
August 11, 2019, 2:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 10
Not a fan of VAR, it's in the prem so there we are. How will 3rd and 4th tier clubs afford the technology....? Just had a thought, let the prem pay!!!
For me it will ruin football well it already has. I think the time keeping should be done by the 4th official as in American NFL. I also think the offside rule should be changed so there has to be daylight between the last man and forward, that will stop the ' his toe is off side'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 94
Theimperialcoroner
August 11, 2019, 3:04pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,140
Gold Stars: 102
VAR is male masturbation

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR (sorry!)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.