Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR (sorry!)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 365 Guests

VAR (sorry!)

This thread currently has 11,289 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
August 11, 2019, 12:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,248
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from rancido

But surely they are part and parcel of the same thing - using a camera and technology to determine an outcome. If a ball is 1cm over the goal line then a goal is given , so why shouldn't the same criteria apply if a player is 1cm off-side? You can't mix and match the technology that suits and that that doesn't.

You can and you should. Taking away the ridiculousness of someone being 1cm offside giving them an "advantage", the goal line technology is instant and doesn't affect the flow of the game. VAR does and it makes the game worse for it.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 94
ska face
August 11, 2019, 12:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,338
Gold Stars: 820
Quoted from robborhino
People are concentrating on all the bad things that happened (not cos of the tech but the rule makers) but there was some good things about VAR i.e West Ham players in the penalty area when the kick was taken

If a referee can’t spot a defender encroaching by about 3 yards, he probably shouldn’t be working in the prem.

Do you really need a video replay for that?
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 94
Rick12
August 11, 2019, 12:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

Why should they "of" stood? VAR did not exist, the officials did what they could with instant decision making. Football is a human activity not a computer game. I turned the bloody thing off last night, sick of seeing and hearing about VAR. It will kill the game as we know it.

If fixes a wrong to a right.Look at tennis for one and how much technology has changed the sport there.Its fine margins that can possibly cost a country winning a world cup or not .

Quoted from ska face
Anyone who thinks VAR (not goalline technology) is a good idea in its current format might as well fook off & play tiddlywinks and let the rest of us get on with enjoying some common sense.

But the majority of football fans do want to see VAR implemented ?

https://www.90min.com/posts/59.....w-it-can-be-improved

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 94
mariner91
August 11, 2019, 12:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
If fixes a wrong to a right.Look at tennis for one and how much technology has changed the sport there.Its fine margins that can possibly cost a country winning a world cup or not .

That's a study of 2,000 fans and only in the top flight. So 100 fans from each side which represents 0.04% of the people in the average PL stadium, let alone the wider game. It's really not conclusive evidence at all.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 94
Rick12
August 11, 2019, 12:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

That's a study of 2,000 fans and only in the top flight. So 100 fans from each side which represents 0.04% of the people in the average PL stadium, let alone the wider game. It's really not conclusive evidence at all.
Yes but overall I still wage that most fans would want it implemented.I think Fifa have done extensive research on players and clubs alike on whether they want it implemented and most said they would.For me its a huge blessing to the game.Think of yourself as a player playing for England and a goal is wrongly disallowed in the semi finals of the world cup at 0-0 in the 92nd minute.Your dreams will be wrongly shattered.

Look back at the 2018 world cup when VAR was first implemented. Yes there were teething problems but once fans get used to it most I think will like and embrace it.Its like anything some people will be against change but once used for the greater good most will come to accept it.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 94
rancido
August 11, 2019, 12:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
[quote=213]

Try reading the post again ffs, specifically the bit about offside being used to stop players gaining an unfair advantage.

If the ball’s in, its in. If an attack’s shoulder is offside by 1mm, what advantage is being gained?[/quote

And I was pointing out why camera technology is ok for goal line decisions and not offside FFS with nobs on!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 94
mariner91
August 11, 2019, 1:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Yes but overall I still wage that most fans would want it implemented.I think Fifa have done extensive research on players and clubs alike on whether they want it implemented and most said they would.For me its a huge blessing to the game.Think of yourself as a player playing for England and a goal is wrongly disallowed in the semi finals of the world cup at 0-0 in the 92nd minute.Your dreams will be wrongly shattered.

Look back at the 2018 world cup when VAR was first implemented. Yes there were teething problems but once fans get used to it most I think will like and embrace it.Its like anything some people will be against change but once used for the greater good most will come to accept it.

Who's decided it's for the greater good? Football is entertainment. I watch football to be entertained. VAR massively reduces some of the best aspects of football because technology is being used purely it seems because it can be used. VAR in the women's world cup was a farce with multiple examples of VAR not really helping at all, a lot of decisions in football are still subjective so VAR is pretty useless unless it is actually obvious like a blatant handball. It's not like cricket where if the ball is hitting the stumps, it's hitting the stumps or tennis where the ball is either in or it's out. So the flow of the game is ruined, with two to three minutes spent looking at a screen by the officials whilst the atmosphere dies and the fans in the stadium haven't got a clue what's going on and even then the decision may still be contentious.

It was rolled out supposedly to overturn decisions when a "clear and obvious" mistake had been made but is being used for the smallest transgression like Sterling's offside shoulder yesterday. Goal-line technology works because it is a clear yes or no, did the ball cross the line or did it not. And it's instant, the second the ball goes over the line the referee is informed and a goal is given. There can be no argument about the decision being correct and the entertainment from the game is unaffected. That is not the case for VAR in the way it is being used now and unless they change it football will be less enjoyable with it's inclusion.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 94
Rick12
August 11, 2019, 1:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Who's decided it's for the greater good? Football is entertainment. I watch football to be entertained. VAR massively reduces some of the best aspects of football because technology is being used purely it seems because it can be used. .
But them penalty decisions where the VAR was used yesterday in the Man City game could of been pivotal if the score was only 0-0 with 10 minutes to go.

For me though sport and football go beyond entertainment but mirror life in general.Hence trying to better yourself both emotionally and physically and also helping society in general.Hence football serves a social need as well eg brings community and gives life and happiness to so many people .As Bill Shankly once said "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 94
ska face
August 11, 2019, 1:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,338
Gold Stars: 820
Quoted from Rick12

80% of 2000 premier league fans (that’s 1600 people...) in a survey where we haven’t seen the questions, conducted on behalf of a betting company.

I am somewhat unconvinced...
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 94
Rick12
August 11, 2019, 1:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face

80% of 2000 premier league fans (that’s 1600 people...) in a survey where we haven’t seen the questions, conducted on behalf of a betting company.

I am somewhat unconvinced...
Yes perhaps that was a wrong study to use but to me still represents a snapshot of the game.I still feel a consensus of football fans around the world eg over 50% would still want to see VAR implemented?

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR (sorry!)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.