Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR (sorry!)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 332 Guests

VAR (sorry!)

This thread currently has 11,291 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
August 11, 2019, 10:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Football is the best sport in the world because it's so quick and emotive at times. You can go from despair to jubilation in an instant. Goals are rare which is why they're celebrated more wildly than a wicket or a try or a winning shot in tennis.  Now you have to temper your reaction to a goal for a minute or two whilst they check to make sure the striker's foreskin wasn't in an offside position. It ruins the atmosphere by taking away the spontaneity which is one of the best bits of football.

I may be in the minority here but I love the human error side of the game. Town have been on the receiving end of horrendous decisions but they've also been the beneficiary of them as well. That's life. But it gives you talking points and helps the atmosphere at the game. Who didn't enjoy the increase in volume yesterday Ogbu's goal was ruled, admittedly correctly, offside? Football is a game played by humans for the entertainment of humans and it was absolutely fine for the 150 year it was played without VAR. VAR is shite.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 94
moosey_club
August 11, 2019, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
You are offside or you aren't....VAR gives assistance in determining that black and white decision..." if a part of the body you can score a goal with is beyond etc" ....VAR gives you virtually a 100% chance of accurately showing that.
Daylight "rule" as far as I am aware has never existed in the actual rules/laws so why people keep spouting that I don't know.
Other use of VAR can still be subjective so that causes confusion to me.

It's part of the game now so people who watch those games should take time to read the actual rules/guidelines and understand so they know what is happening and why ...might save on confusion.

Take that "backpass" yesterday when the Bradford defender played the ball back to the keeper with his knee....a good section of the crowd were screaming at the ref, the lino, the keeper for cheating !!

Also the new goal kick encroachment...the drop ball changes....if the ref interferes with the ball....have we all read up on those changes for this season ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 94
ska face
August 11, 2019, 10:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,341
Gold Stars: 824
“You’re either offside or not” - a truly mindbending revelation, great analysis and absolutely worth ruining the sport for.

I wouldn’t really care if we conceded a goal where the attacker was offside by a millimetre, maybe it’s because I’m a grown up. If we’re applying that level of scrutiny to decisions then why not throw-ins or incidents further back in play?

Football isn’t cricket or tennis, it’s a fluid game that could conceivably be played for 45 minutes without a single stoppage - unlike other sports that are a series of set plays.

The cranks, bores and moneymen have won.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 94
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 11, 2019, 10:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mariner91
Football is the best sport in the world because it's so quick and emotive at times. You can go from despair to jubilation in an instant. Goals are rare which is why they're celebrated more wildly than a wicket or a try or a winning shot in tennis.  Now you have to temper your reaction to a goal for a minute or two whilst they check to make sure the striker's foreskin wasn't in an offside position. It ruins the atmosphere by taking away the spontaneity which is one of the best bits of football.

I may be in the minority here but I love the human error side of the game. Town have been on the receiving end of horrendous decisions but they've also been the beneficiary of them as well. That's life. But it gives you talking points and helps the atmosphere at the game. Who didn't enjoy the increase in volume yesterday Ogbu's goal was ruled, admittedly correctly, offside? Football is a game played by humans for the entertainment of humans and it was absolutely fine for the 150 year it was played without VAR. VAR is shite.

Spot on. VAR is for kids’ PlayStation games.

But it is NEW so it must be GOOD.

The PL will not be the same. The game at that level will become a franchised family popcorn event with play sporadically interfering with the online betting. Money talks.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 94
grimsby pete
August 11, 2019, 10:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
It is not VAR that's the problem its the offside rule,

They did bring the clear daylight rule in for a period Moosey but went back to the old rule,

Offside is there to stop an attacker getting on unfair advantage but having a toe or elbow offside is not really an advantage is it ?

I watched the game live and the West Ham fans cheered when one of the goals was decided by VAR to be offside in fact that was the biggest cheer of the day.

The most important thing to me was all the pulling/pushing shirt holding in the penalty area that went unpunished so if VAR stops that and it seems to have at the moment it can only be a good thing.

Things will change for the better and decisions will be made quicker they just have to decide what is worth holding play up for and what isn't.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 94
White_shorts
August 11, 2019, 10:58am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -599
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from moosey_club
You are offside or you aren't....VAR gives assistance in determining that black and white decision..." if a part of the body you can score a goal with is beyond etc" ....VAR gives you virtually a 100% chance of accurately showing that.
Daylight "rule" as far as I am aware has never existed in the actual rules/laws so why people keep spouting that I don't know.
Other use of VAR can still be subjective so that causes confusion to me.

It's part of the game now so people who watch those games should take time to read the actual rules/guidelines and understand so they know what is happening and why ...might save on confusion.

Take that "backpass" yesterday when the Bradford defender played the ball back to the keeper with his knee....a good section of the crowd were screaming at the ref, the lino, the keeper for cheating !!

Also the new goal kick encroachment...the drop ball changes....if the ref interferes with the ball....have we all read up on those changes for this season ?

A few years ago linesmen were instructed not to flag for offside if there was 'daylight' between the attacker and defender.

It is ridiculous to say that someone's shoulder is offside. It would be better if the rule was a player is onside if any part of his body is in line with the last defender.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 94
moosey_club
August 11, 2019, 11:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
It is not VAR that's the problem its the offside rule,

They did bring the clear daylight rule in for a period Moosey but went back to the old rule,

[b]Offside is there to stop an attacker getting on unfair advantage but having a toe or elbow offside is not really an advantage is it ?[b]

Things will change for the better and decisions will be made quicker they just have to decide what is worth holding play up for and what isn't.

If that toe scores then clearly it is. 😀

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 94
moosey_club
August 11, 2019, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from White_shorts

It is ridiculous to say that someone's shoulder is offside. It would be better if the rule was a player is onside if any part of his body is in line with the last defender.

So if a toe on his back foot was the only part of his body in line with the defender he has effectively gained a yards advantage but would still be onside under that rule?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 94
moosey_club
August 11, 2019, 11:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Of course we could do away with it all if we all played like gentlemen and put our hands up to any fouls we committed, when the ball crossed the line and we didn't fake any contact.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 94
ska face
August 11, 2019, 11:11am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,341
Gold Stars: 824
Quoted from moosey_club

So if a toe on his back foot was the only part of his body in line with the defender he has effectively gained a yards advantage but would still be onside under that rule?

“Well if you’re onside, you’re onside”

Can you not see how ridiculous your own argument is now?
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR (sorry!)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.