7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Youngy
August 25, 2019, 7:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
I still can't believe what I've seen. Stokes has possibly just delivered the greatest single performance in sporting history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 60
KingstonMariner
August 25, 2019, 9:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Some of those strokes were superb. He's not a massive beefy bloke. Just very talented.

And yeah, to echo Limerick, the mental strength must be tremendous.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 60
Limerick Mariner
August 26, 2019, 2:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,500
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Youngy
I still can't believe what I've seen. Stokes has possibly just delivered the greatest single performance in sporting history.

Context is everything, and given the context it must be up there for an individual in a team sport - don't forget his 20 plus overs yesterday helping to bowl the Aussies out. Certain IMHO is that Jack Leach's 1 not out is the greatest 1 not out in test history...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 60
Maringer
August 26, 2019, 4:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,070
Gold Stars: 175
It was the footballing equivalent of coming back to win from three down with ten minutes to go after having a few players sent off. Crazy stuff.

Most amusing part was that the Aussies wasted their final review so stupidly which ultimately cost them the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 60
Limerick Mariner
August 26, 2019, 6:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
It was the footballing equivalent of coming back to win from three down with ten minutes to go after having a few players sent off. Crazy stuff.

Most amusing part was that the Aussies wasted their final review so stupidly which ultimately cost them the game.

The Aussie press have referred to Ben Stokes being out and that they should have won. Both teams have suffered from poor Umpiring decisions when reviews have gone, both teams have reviewed poorly, wasting reviews and both teams have failed to review when they should have done, but the record in Wisden will show an England win by 1 wicket. We will never forget the story behind what Wisden records and it was astonishing...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 60
Connecticut Mariner
August 26, 2019, 8:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.19
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +716
Gold Stars: 7
The Aussie skipper showing a bit of class in his comments here:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49468018

Paine denied his side were rattled by Stokes' batting and a raucous atmosphere in Leeds.

"No doubt there was pressure. It was close, tight, the crowd was loud, that was as hard as it gets for a touring side," Paine said.

"Sometimes people make mistakes and we made a couple today.

"In the end it cost us the Test match. That and an unbelievable innings."

Stokes survived an lbw shout immediately after Lyon's run-out chance which would have been overturned if Australia had not wasted both their reviews.

Paine said he has "no issue" with umpire Joel Wilson's decision.

"We can't control that," he said. "I don't think I've got a referral correct the whole series so I can't sit here and bag the umpires.

"We have got to focus on what we can control and umpiring decisions isn't one of them."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 60
LH
August 26, 2019, 9:21pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 167
Paine’s comments are very un-Australian. I say that but I’m sure there is sporting Australians - it’s just that none of them play international level sport.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 60
Rodley Mariner
August 26, 2019, 10:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,211
Gold Stars: 176
Paine is a classy guy. Aussies really love their cricket as well. If you get beyond a few tabloid headlines most are describing it is a magnificent innings in a wonderful game of cricket. A mate was in the same hotel as the Aussies last night and spoke to Nathan Lyon who said it was the greatest game he'd been priveleged to play in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 60
Limerick Mariner
August 27, 2019, 12:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Paine is a classy guy. Aussies really love their cricket as well. If you get beyond a few tabloid headlines most are describing it is a magnificent innings in a wonderful game of cricket. A mate was in the same hotel as the Aussies last night and spoke to Nathan Lyon who said it was the greatest game he'd been priveleged to play in.

Classy - speaks intelligently - he can't be an Aussie, must be a Tasmanian thing.

I watched the highlights for a third time with my lad who was just back from the Leeds festival - he knew we had won but not the details. It doesn't get any more probable for multiple watchings - more outrageous in fact...

CWC, Ashes and the Webb Ellis plus Town up there at Christmas after beating Scunny on the 21st Dec...would be nice...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 60
supertown
August 27, 2019, 10:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,409
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

The Aussie press have referred to Ben Stokes being out and that they should have won. Both teams have suffered from poor Umpiring decisions when reviews have gone, both teams have reviewed poorly, wasting reviews and both teams have failed to review when they should have done, but the record in Wisden will show an England win by 1 wicket. We will never forget the story behind what Wisden records and it was astonishing...

I’ve not seen a snicko on the plumb lbw so I’m going to believe he got a touch on it 😬
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Come on England

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.