7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
July 15, 2019, 10:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,644
Gold Stars: 261
Archer has balls of steel. What a great ball at the death and the fielding for the win was fantastic. Loved it, not normally one to cheer at cricket even though I do love it but I scared the dog I yelled so loudly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 60
Grim74
July 15, 2019, 11:02am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Archer was immense! I was cursing when he came out to bowl if I’m honest as I believed Wokes was the man, Archer can be reckless as his first bowled showed but how wrong was I! To think of his age and what was at stake  he seemed so calm although what was he doing on the ground at the end😂 just shows his relief at the end and pressure he was under, class.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 60
Manchester Mariner
July 15, 2019, 11:12am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
It was one of those great sporting moments. Not that I really 'get' Cricket in general but just love watching sport. I'm still baffled by that Ben Stokes dive for the stumps hitting the thrown ball back out for a 6 and then all the ensuing apologies and moral maze stuff that ensued. I hardly thought it was comparable to that time Thierry Henry hand-balled Ireland out of world cup qualification or owt but still it seemed to conflict with the 'gentlemans game' aspect of  Cricket.

But yeah, great sporting moment and victory for a very multi-cultural England team.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 60
GrimRob
July 15, 2019, 2:52pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
This really is the final straw turning what should have been a joyous thread into a dig about someone's background. Grim74 will have to take his vile comments elsewhere as they are no longer welcome on here, we've turned a blind eye to them for too long.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 60
grimsby pete
July 15, 2019, 4:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
What did he say Rob I can not see anything offensive ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 60
Ipswin
July 15, 2019, 7:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I don't want to get involved in any way with Grim74's implied racism on this thread. Others can draw their own conclusions or inferences.

What I cannot agree with is all the praise for Archer's 'super' over  it was absolutely abysmal and and its only thanks to the fielding which saved his bacon. Morgan was lucky to get away with his selection, I would have felt much happier with Wokes or Plunkett

Archer is a very lucky boy!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 60
Rodley Mariner
July 15, 2019, 7:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Sorry Swin but that's balderdash for me. He was unlucky to be wided, missed his length once and got punished and other than that bowled very well under the most intense pressure. Plunkett bowls well with a wearing ball in the middle overs bowling cross seam so it sticks in the pitch. Doesn't work with a new ball and he has been more expensive than Archer throughout the tournament. Woakes has been superb for the last few weeks but he's a length bowler. Might have got a wicket but there is a risk of it going round the park in that one over scenario. Archer had a job to do and he did it. Only just but he did it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 60
Stadium
July 15, 2019, 7:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Ipswin
I don't want to get involved in any way with Grim74's implied racism on this thread. Others can draw their own conclusions or inferences.

What I cannot agree with is all the praise for Archer's 'super' over  it was absolutely abysmal and and its only thanks to the fielding which saved his bacon. Morgan was lucky to get away with his selection, I would have felt much happier with Wokes or Plunkett

I must say that is some quality wibble.

Even to reach the super over Archer was immense as quoted here:

Jofra Archer's death bowling
Had New Zealand matched the final flourish of their innings against India, they would have reached 263. That they fell 22 runs short - adding 62 in the final 10 overs, compared to their 84 against India, when they had begun even more stodgily - owed to Jofra Archer’s prowess at the death. Against Australia, Eoin Morgan had used Archer aggressively, bowling Archer out before the final 10 overs. This time, he retained Archer for the death. With a mixture of yorkers, the knuckleball he has developed and searing bouncers, Archer conceded just 22 from his final five overs.

As for the superover, unlucky with the wide,came through a misfield and withstood huge pressure with the last ball which was superb.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 60
The Boys Paddock
July 15, 2019, 8:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -964
Quoted from Ipswin

what did you think of his last 5 overs at the death?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 60
GrimRob
July 15, 2019, 9:41pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Sorry Swin but that's balderdash for me. He was unlucky to be wided, missed his length once and got punished and other than that bowled very well under the most intense pressure. Plunkett bowls well with a wearing ball in the middle overs bowling cross seam so it sticks in the pitch. Doesn't work with a new ball and he has been more expensive than Archer throughout the tournament. Woakes has been superb for the last few weeks but he's a length bowler. Might have got a wicket but there is a risk of it going round the park in that one over scenario. Archer had a job to do and he did it. Only just but he did it.

The start of the over was not great but a lot of people might have caved in, especially after that six, and he held his nerve for the last four balls under immense pressure. I still think it was a bit of an iffy decision but it was a brave one, and it was the making of the man. He'll probably be an England regular for years to come now.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Come on England

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.