7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Grim74
July 14, 2019, 10:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
A chance to be world champions at something and lords is full of empty seats?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
supertown
July 14, 2019, 2:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,409
Gold Stars: 53
That will be the Indians that havent turned up then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 60
KingstonMariner
July 14, 2019, 3:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Looks pretty full.

Nicely set up now.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 60
supertown
July 14, 2019, 4:34pm
Vodka Drinker
In trouble now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 60
supertown
July 14, 2019, 6:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 60
LH
July 14, 2019, 7:33pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 167
One of the best finals you will ever see in any sport. That last couple of overs of England’s innings was incredible. I hope that putting it on Channel 4 has paid off for the sports popularity.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 60
Stadium
July 14, 2019, 8:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19
Incredible final which surely won't be surpassed.
Well done both sides but the composure shown by Archer in the super over was superb.
Excellent day of sport.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 60
Grim74
July 14, 2019, 8:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Brilliant what a game watched every minute they did the country proud apart from the Bradford lad who wouldn’t sing the national anthem. Hope cricket can kick on a bit now well done for Sky for showing the game even if I was sweating that the tv license man might make a surprise visit brilliant coverage.
England are the best team in the world 👏🏻

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 60
Hagrid
July 14, 2019, 8:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,933
Gold Stars: 505
Incredible! The “6” when it struck the diving stokes and went off to the boundry was the game changing moment
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 60
Limerick Mariner
July 14, 2019, 9:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,502
Gold Stars: 131
Well we don’t do World Cup wins in normal time do we.

Now for Webb Ellis...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 60
Rodley Mariner
July 14, 2019, 10:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,211
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from Grim74
Brilliant what a game watched every minute they did the country proud apart from the Bradford lad who wouldn’t sing the national anthem. Hope cricket can kick on a bit now well done for Sky for showing the game even if I was sweating that the tv license man might make a surprise visit brilliant coverage.
England are the best team in the world 👏🏻

I hope I speak for every decent person on this forum when I say intercourse off you complete and utter girl private. If there has ever been a better advert than today for the value of immigration then I've yet to see it. I'd guess the skidmarks from one of Adil Rashid's farts have contributed more to this country than a League 2 Tommy Robinson idolising bell-end like you have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 60
LH
July 14, 2019, 10:36pm

Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I hope I speak for every decent person on this forum when I say intercourse off you complete and utter girl private. If there has ever been a better advert than today for the value of immigration then I've yet to see it. I'd guess the skidmarks from one of Adil Rashid's farts have contributed more to this country than a League 2 Tommy Robinson idolising bell-end like you have.

Six!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 60
Grantley
July 14, 2019, 10:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Jofra Archer didn’t sing the national anthem either...

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 60
Grim74
July 14, 2019, 11:06pm
Cocktail Drinker

Have you always been a thick girl private or is it old age? So what the intercourse you even on about?  I’ve slagged rooney off on here for not opening his mouth, Archer didn’t sing either but I don’t blame him as he’s not English that’s fair enough but the Bradford lad should of made an effort he was the only sour note today as far as I’m concerned.

oh and the crowd which should of been full of England fans I bet they could of sold out ten times over, tickets shouldn’t be released until both teams reach the final, looking at the crowd you’d think it was played in New Delhi.

As for you your a disgrace with your race baiting at every opportunity I see people you see colour try get some help see a psychologist keep away from antifa.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 60
Rodley Mariner
July 14, 2019, 11:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
'The Bradford lad'. You are a nasty racist girl private and anybody on here who has an opinion of any value thinks the same. I am on cloud number 9 about today and the only thing that can make the win even sweeter is that the diverse nature of our team highlights the value of immigration to this country and exposes the type of bullshit you peddle. Immigration brings us the brightest, most ambitious, most talented people. Adil Rashid might not be much of a singer but he's a flipping good cricketer and a world cup winner. As opposed to you, a sad racist male masturbator. You belt out God Save the Queen in your bedsit with your shrivelled little member in your hand and let's see what good it does anyone. Adil Rashid can go home and polish his world cup winner's medal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 60
Grim74
July 15, 2019, 6:39am
Cocktail Drinker
'The Bradford lad'. You are a nasty racist girl private and anybody on here who has an opinion of any value thinks the same. I am on cloud number 9 about today and the only thing that can make the win even sweeter is that the diverse nature of our team highlights the value of immigration to this country and exposes the type of bullshit you peddle. Immigration brings us the brightest, most ambitious, most talented people. Adil Rashid might not be much of a singer but he's a flipping good cricketer and a world cup winner. As opposed to you, a sad racist male masturbator. You belt out God Save the Queen in your bedsit with your shrivelled little member in your hand and let's see what good it does anyone. Adil Rashid can go home and polish his world cup winner's medal.

So the ‘Bratford’ lad is now a racist term 😂 you give David Lanny a bad name W hat a flipping moron you are! I bet Rashid gets embarrassed by twits like you who get offended on his behalf, it’s Guardianista’s of your ilk who cause division in this country crying wacist wacist every 5 mins! Thing is all you do is water it down you call me a racist and I just laugh before sending it on to my black mate, 20 years ago i might of been offended not anymore these days i take it as a compliment as I’ve triggered a left wing lennie😂

Well done from turning a thread on one of if not the greatest sporting moments that I’ve ever witnessed into a race issue WTF England are the world champions 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 go on say it if you have any pride.. but then your probably to offended the flag is to white to wacist wacist😂

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 60
Rodley Mariner
July 15, 2019, 7:40am
Special Brew Drinker
I am ecstatic we are world champions. I was at Edgbaston for the semi and Durham for the group game against the Kiwis. You were the one who came onto the thread and singled out somebody for not singing the anthem. You also chose to not even bother using that players name. If you're such a patriot I am sure you'll be celebrating Adil Rashid and the contribution he has made to a fantastic team. I know what you are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 60
Grim74
July 15, 2019, 8:11am
Cocktail Drinker
I am ecstatic we are world champions. I was at Edgbaston for the semi and Durham for the group game against the Kiwis. You were the one who came onto the thread and singled out somebody for not singing the anthem. You also chose to not even bother using that players name. If you're such a patriot I am sure you'll be celebrating Adil Rashid and the contribution he has made to a fantastic team. I know what you are.

You’re a race baiter pure and simple you would find racism in a bag of dolly mixtures pure and simple you make me sick, but I will put that to one side as your post is more reasonable. If I ever had the pleasure of meeting Rashid I would shake his hand and offer to buy him a pint ( whoops he’s muslim there I go again) the reason I referred to him as the Bradford lad was simply I couldn’t recall is name and couldn’t be bothered to look it up, I enjoy watching my Cricket but I’m not a massive fan I didn’t even know who he was this time last month so rather than just guess his name I respectfully called him ‘the lad from Bradford’ not the Muslim or bearded or brown skin fellow. If I was to call Bairstow (before becoming a household name) the Yorkshire lad would you still get your knickers in a twist? No off course not because he’s white and that wouldn’t trigger you.

I will accept singling him out for the anthem was poor timing on reflection I could of mentioned that later on it’s just one of my really big ‘pet hates’ I would be happy if they just put their hands on their hearts if they don’t want to sing like a lot of other proud nation teams do. Like you I was ecstatic with tears in my eyes and I’m the least emotional person I know, so don’t tell me you know me I’m far from living in a bed sit but then I wouldn’t look down on anyone who is.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 60
Rodley Mariner
July 15, 2019, 8:20am
Special Brew Drinker
You wouldn't call Bairstow the Yorkshire lad though would you or Woakes the Brummie lad?

You could be a millionaire for all I know - my knowing you is nothing to do with your money, job or class and I wouldn't look down on anybody for any of those reasons. I see straight through you and your nasty little comments though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 60
Grim74
July 15, 2019, 9:50am
Cocktail Drinker
You wouldn't call Bairstow the Yorkshire lad though would you or Woakes the Brummie lad?

You could be a millionaire for all I know - my knowing you is nothing to do with your money, job or class and I wouldn't look down on anybody for any of those reasons. I see straight through you and your nasty little comments though.

Naz Hussein distinctly linked Rashid from Bradford during his commentary on more than one occasion that’s the only reason I know he’s from Bradford so is Hussein a racist will you be starting a petition then? you’re an idiot?

When Root and Flintoff before him were up and coming I recall them being called the Yorkshire lad or the lad from Yorkshire on many many occasions, even Collingwood was always the lad from Durham before I knew his name! look your accusations are baseless and pathetic your race baiter get a life.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 60
mariner91
July 15, 2019, 10:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,137
Gold Stars: 249
Archer has balls of steel. What a great ball at the death and the fielding for the win was fantastic. Loved it, not normally one to cheer at cricket even though I do love it but I scared the dog I yelled so loudly.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 60
Grim74
July 15, 2019, 11:02am
Cocktail Drinker
Archer was immense! I was cursing when he came out to bowl if I’m honest as I believed Wokes was the man, Archer can be reckless as his first bowled showed but how wrong was I! To think of his age and what was at stake  he seemed so calm although what was he doing on the ground at the end😂 just shows his relief at the end and pressure he was under, class.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 60
Manchester Mariner
July 15, 2019, 11:12am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,791
Gold Stars: 39
It was one of those great sporting moments. Not that I really 'get' Cricket in general but just love watching sport. I'm still baffled by that Ben Stokes dive for the stumps hitting the thrown ball back out for a 6 and then all the ensuing apologies and moral maze stuff that ensued. I hardly thought it was comparable to that time Thierry Henry hand-balled Ireland out of world cup qualification or owt but still it seemed to conflict with the 'gentlemans game' aspect of  Cricket.

But yeah, great sporting moment and victory for a very multi-cultural England team.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 60
GrimRob
July 15, 2019, 2:52pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,344
Gold Stars: 113
This really is the final straw turning what should have been a joyous thread into a dig about someone's background. Grim74 will have to take his vile comments elsewhere as they are no longer welcome on here, we've turned a blind eye to them for too long.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 60
grimsby pete
July 15, 2019, 4:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,763
Gold Stars: 221
What did he say Rob I can not see anything offensive ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 60
Ipswin
July 15, 2019, 7:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I don't want to get involved in any way with Grim74's implied racism on this thread. Others can draw their own conclusions or inferences.

What I cannot agree with is all the praise for Archer's 'super' over  it was absolutely abysmal and and its only thanks to the fielding which saved his bacon. Morgan was lucky to get away with his selection, I would have felt much happier with Wokes or Plunkett

Archer is a very lucky boy!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 60
Rodley Mariner
July 15, 2019, 7:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Sorry Swin but that's balderdash for me. He was unlucky to be wided, missed his length once and got punished and other than that bowled very well under the most intense pressure. Plunkett bowls well with a wearing ball in the middle overs bowling cross seam so it sticks in the pitch. Doesn't work with a new ball and he has been more expensive than Archer throughout the tournament. Woakes has been superb for the last few weeks but he's a length bowler. Might have got a wicket but there is a risk of it going round the park in that one over scenario. Archer had a job to do and he did it. Only just but he did it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 60
Stadium
July 15, 2019, 7:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Ipswin
I don't want to get involved in any way with Grim74's implied racism on this thread. Others can draw their own conclusions or inferences.

What I cannot agree with is all the praise for Archer's 'super' over  it was absolutely abysmal and and its only thanks to the fielding which saved his bacon. Morgan was lucky to get away with his selection, I would have felt much happier with Wokes or Plunkett

I must say that is some quality wibble.

Even to reach the super over Archer was immense as quoted here:

Jofra Archer's death bowling
Had New Zealand matched the final flourish of their innings against India, they would have reached 263. That they fell 22 runs short - adding 62 in the final 10 overs, compared to their 84 against India, when they had begun even more stodgily - owed to Jofra Archer’s prowess at the death. Against Australia, Eoin Morgan had used Archer aggressively, bowling Archer out before the final 10 overs. This time, he retained Archer for the death. With a mixture of yorkers, the knuckleball he has developed and searing bouncers, Archer conceded just 22 from his final five overs.

As for the superover, unlucky with the wide,came through a misfield and withstood huge pressure with the last ball which was superb.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 60
The Boys Paddock
July 15, 2019, 8:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -964
Quoted from Ipswin

what did you think of his last 5 overs at the death?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 60
GrimRob
July 15, 2019, 9:41pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,344
Gold Stars: 113
Sorry Swin but that's balderdash for me. He was unlucky to be wided, missed his length once and got punished and other than that bowled very well under the most intense pressure. Plunkett bowls well with a wearing ball in the middle overs bowling cross seam so it sticks in the pitch. Doesn't work with a new ball and he has been more expensive than Archer throughout the tournament. Woakes has been superb for the last few weeks but he's a length bowler. Might have got a wicket but there is a risk of it going round the park in that one over scenario. Archer had a job to do and he did it. Only just but he did it.

The start of the over was not great but a lot of people might have caved in, especially after that six, and he held his nerve for the last four balls under immense pressure. I still think it was a bit of an iffy decision but it was a brave one, and it was the making of the man. He'll probably be an England regular for years to come now.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 60
KingstonMariner
July 15, 2019, 9:45pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
What did he say Rob I can not see anything offensive ?

It's 'Dog Whistle Politics' Pete. It's clear what Grim74 means. He just thinks he's clever disguising it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 60
KingstonMariner
July 15, 2019, 9:54pm
Meths Drinker
Anyway, great game. Watched most of it bar 1 1/2 hours and then I was listening on the radio. Got to feel for the Kiwis, losing like that. But not for long.  

Also if the footbll authorities are going to persist with VAR FFS, they should talk to the ICC to see how its done properly.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 60
Limerick Mariner
July 15, 2019, 11:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It's 'Dog Whistle Politics' Pete. It's clear what Grim74 means. He just thinks he's clever disguising it.

And Rees-Mogg looks an even bigger t**t now if that is possible - after tweeting "we don't need Europe to win the world cup", a Fine-Gael senator put him down straight away pointing out that our captain is Irish. The sharp object has tried to claim it was a joke, yeah on you - a third of our team are immigrants or sons of - he just made himself upper-class twit of the year.

By contrast, the Maybot speech today was spot on - reference to the team representing "modern Britain" and praising the Black Caps' dignified response to the unluckiest of defeats, guess she had to get something right in the end...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 60
KingstonMariner
July 16, 2019, 12:22am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

And Rees-Mogg looks an even bigger t**t now if that is possible - after tweeting "we don't need Europe to win the world cup", a Fine-Gael senator put him down straight away pointing out that our captain is Irish. The sharp object has tried to claim it was a joke, yeah on you - a third of our team are immigrants or sons of - he just made himself upper-class twit of the year.

By contrast, the Maybot speech today was spot on - reference to the team representing "modern Britain" and praising the Black Caps' dignified response to the unluckiest of defeats, guess she had to get something right in the end...

Is this the Rees-Mogg that's so confident in Britain's future he stashes his wealth in Ireland  

Not an admirer of May but she's head and shoulders above the likes of Rees-Mogg when it comes to dignity.

Anyway, before we get accused of being too political. It was a stunning game of cricket with so many twists in the plotline it was unbelievable. If the Kiwis had won I wouldn't have felt hard done by.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 60
Limerick Mariner
July 16, 2019, 12:45am
Whiskey Drinker

Is this the Rees-Mogg that's so confident in Britain's future he stashes his wealth in Ireland  

Not an admirer of May but she's head and shoulders above the likes of Rees-Mogg when it comes to dignity.

Anyway, before we get accused of being too political. It was a stunning game of cricket with so many twists in the plotline it was unbelievable. If the Kiwis had won I wouldn't have felt hard done by.

We couldn't possibly, Kiwis are proper warriors - play smart, play hard and play to the end. I did find it funny when the French knocked the All Blacks out of the rugby world cup in 2007 though - with a most outrageous of forward passes - wouldn't happen now because of VAR.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 60
Ipswin
July 16, 2019, 9:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

The start of the over was not great but a lot of people might have caved in, especially after that six, and he held his nerve for the last four balls under immense pressure. I still think it was a bit of an iffy decision but it was a brave one, and it was the making of the man. He'll probably be an England regular for years to come now.

In the one day slog-it-and-run game which sadly appears to be taking over then maybe but in proper (test) cricket I'm not so sure

Private Message
Reply: 35 - 60
Rodley Mariner
July 16, 2019, 9:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

In the one day slog-it-and-run game which sadly appears to be taking over then maybe but in proper (test) cricket I'm not so sure

Genuinely interested to know why you think that? England have been desperate for more pace and he's bowling with great control at 94mph. I think the England set up see him as absolutely central to the future if the test team. Might take a while for him to be as effective twice as he is in ODI and T20 but I don't see any reason he won't be very successful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 60
Ipswin
July 16, 2019, 10:04pm
Vodka Drinker

Genuinely interested to know why you think that? England have been desperate for more pace and he's bowling with great control at 94mph. I think the England set up see him as absolutely central to the future if the test team. Might take a while for him to be as effective twice as he is in ODI and T20 but I don't see any reason he won't be very successful.

FFS here we go again! I just said I wasn't sure, that's all. It's a totally different game to slinging it down for ten overs. He could be the next Anderson (I doubt it) or he might not make the transition to test cricket. I would question his 'control' over 20, 25 or 30 overs in two innings over 5 days

Private Message
Reply: 37 - 60
Limerick Mariner
July 17, 2019, 7:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

FFS here we go again! I just said I wasn't sure, that's all. It's a totally different game to slinging it down for ten overs. He could be the next Anderson (I doubt it) or he might not make the transition to test cricket. I would question his 'control' over 20, 25 or 30 overs in two innings over 5 days

Agreed, but a strike bowler with impact over short bursts is more valuable in Test cricket where a wicket can happily be bought with a few boundaries conceded off loose balls. As he's genuinely quick he could be a real asset for the test side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 60
Ipswin
July 24, 2019, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
If you open the window you can hear the Aussie cricketers pissing themselves laughing 42-6

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 60
Ipswin
July 24, 2019, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Make that 43-7 Against bloody Ireland FFS!

Private Message
Reply: 40 - 60
mariner91
July 24, 2019, 2:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yeah pretty embarrassing morning all round. Ireland bowled well but crikey.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
Limerick Mariner
July 24, 2019, 3:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
Yeah pretty embarrassing morning all round. Ireland bowled well but crikey.

Lots of Stiff Little Fingers for England this morning...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
Rodley Mariner
August 18, 2019, 4:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

5 days into his Test career and he looks like he's just about coping!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
LH
August 23, 2019, 10:49pm

5 days into his Test career and he looks like he's just about coping!

Seems nicely controlled too - dropping 10mph to be more accurate and getting a sixfer.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
mariner91
August 25, 2019, 4:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Well that was incredible. One of the best innings ever from a batsman.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
TownSNAFU5
August 25, 2019, 4:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,760
Gold Stars: 41
Are there no limits to what Ben Stokes can do?  His redemption has been swift and awesome.  The best alround cricketer in the world.

Ore importantly, he thrives and delivers under extreme pressure.

Just the man you would want alongside you in the trenches.

(We can forget - for a moment - that shambles of a first innings).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 60
Rodley Mariner
August 25, 2019, 4:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Greatest innings I've ever seen in any format. Magnficent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
KingstonMariner
August 25, 2019, 5:09pm
Meths Drinker
Amazing chasing down that score, especially after the first innings catastrophe.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
Limerick Mariner
August 25, 2019, 6:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Amazing chasing down that score, especially after the first innings catastrophe.

I don't think there are superlatives to describe it adequately - not just the incredible skill but the mental stamina and focus to bat for six hours with wickets falling at the other end. The way he managed the strike over after over whilst hitting sixes and fours in the first 4 balls of the over makes it better than the World Cup fnal IMHO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
Youngy
August 25, 2019, 7:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
I still can't believe what I've seen. Stokes has possibly just delivered the greatest single performance in sporting history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 60
KingstonMariner
August 25, 2019, 9:37pm
Meths Drinker
Some of those strokes were superb. He's not a massive beefy bloke. Just very talented.

And yeah, to echo Limerick, the mental strength must be tremendous.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 60
Limerick Mariner
August 26, 2019, 2:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Youngy
I still can't believe what I've seen. Stokes has possibly just delivered the greatest single performance in sporting history.

Context is everything, and given the context it must be up there for an individual in a team sport - don't forget his 20 plus overs yesterday helping to bowl the Aussies out. Certain IMHO is that Jack Leach's 1 not out is the greatest 1 not out in test history...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 60
Maringer
August 26, 2019, 4:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,070
Gold Stars: 175
It was the footballing equivalent of coming back to win from three down with ten minutes to go after having a few players sent off. Crazy stuff.

Most amusing part was that the Aussies wasted their final review so stupidly which ultimately cost them the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 60
Limerick Mariner
August 26, 2019, 6:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
It was the footballing equivalent of coming back to win from three down with ten minutes to go after having a few players sent off. Crazy stuff.

Most amusing part was that the Aussies wasted their final review so stupidly which ultimately cost them the game.

The Aussie press have referred to Ben Stokes being out and that they should have won. Both teams have suffered from poor Umpiring decisions when reviews have gone, both teams have reviewed poorly, wasting reviews and both teams have failed to review when they should have done, but the record in Wisden will show an England win by 1 wicket. We will never forget the story behind what Wisden records and it was astonishing...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 60
Connecticut Mariner
August 26, 2019, 8:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.19
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +716
Gold Stars: 7
The Aussie skipper showing a bit of class in his comments here:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49468018

Paine denied his side were rattled by Stokes' batting and a raucous atmosphere in Leeds.

"No doubt there was pressure. It was close, tight, the crowd was loud, that was as hard as it gets for a touring side," Paine said.

"Sometimes people make mistakes and we made a couple today.

"In the end it cost us the Test match. That and an unbelievable innings."

Stokes survived an lbw shout immediately after Lyon's run-out chance which would have been overturned if Australia had not wasted both their reviews.

Paine said he has "no issue" with umpire Joel Wilson's decision.

"We can't control that," he said. "I don't think I've got a referral correct the whole series so I can't sit here and bag the umpires.

"We have got to focus on what we can control and umpiring decisions isn't one of them."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 60
LH
August 26, 2019, 9:21pm

Paine’s comments are very un-Australian. I say that but I’m sure there is sporting Australians - it’s just that none of them play international level sport.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 60
Rodley Mariner
August 26, 2019, 10:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Paine is a classy guy. Aussies really love their cricket as well. If you get beyond a few tabloid headlines most are describing it is a magnificent innings in a wonderful game of cricket. A mate was in the same hotel as the Aussies last night and spoke to Nathan Lyon who said it was the greatest game he'd been priveleged to play in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 60
Limerick Mariner
August 27, 2019, 12:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Paine is a classy guy. Aussies really love their cricket as well. If you get beyond a few tabloid headlines most are describing it is a magnificent innings in a wonderful game of cricket. A mate was in the same hotel as the Aussies last night and spoke to Nathan Lyon who said it was the greatest game he'd been priveleged to play in.

Classy - speaks intelligently - he can't be an Aussie, must be a Tasmanian thing.

I watched the highlights for a third time with my lad who was just back from the Leeds festival - he knew we had won but not the details. It doesn't get any more probable for multiple watchings - more outrageous in fact...

CWC, Ashes and the Webb Ellis plus Town up there at Christmas after beating Scunny on the 21st Dec...would be nice...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 60
supertown
August 27, 2019, 10:30am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

The Aussie press have referred to Ben Stokes being out and that they should have won. Both teams have suffered from poor Umpiring decisions when reviews have gone, both teams have reviewed poorly, wasting reviews and both teams have failed to review when they should have done, but the record in Wisden will show an England win by 1 wicket. We will never forget the story behind what Wisden records and it was astonishing...

I’ve not seen a snicko on the plumb lbw so I’m going to believe he got a touch on it 😬
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 60
Maringer
August 27, 2019, 1:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,070
Gold Stars: 175
Apparently, Stokes has said he doesn't think that LBW was hitting. The ball apparently wasn't spinning and took a small touch off the top of his front pad which changed the perceived trajectory, something which was missed by the DRS. Would be interesting to see if it was even hitting, this being the case. Wonder if it is possible to calculate this from the recordings?

Not that it matters!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 60
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Come on England

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.