Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC Going for it?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 102 Guests

GTFC Going for it?

This thread currently has 14,326 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
June 20, 2019, 11:53am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
I understand the demand for a bit of creativity in the middle (thinking Burnett a few years back and maybe someone like Nolan more recently) but they are luxuries.

Tbh, I wouldn't have put Groves down as creative but he got plenty of goals from centre mid purely through his ability to get up and down the pitch and ghost into the box at the perfect moment.

This is an instinct or a skill that maybe the likes of Clifton, Hess and Whitehouse don't have, but that's not to say it's something Jolley can't coach.

If we have creativity wide then there's less emphasis on it coming from the middle too. Get a couple of strikers in the box with a centre mid arriving late and the wide players have plenty to aim for.

Obviously football is a bit more complex than that, and it clearly doesn't hurt to have another Embleton in there, but it's not the be-all and end-all if we can get genuine creative players wide, or maybe even dropping just behind the front two, which is where I see Jordan Cook's natural position.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 50 - 71
Malta_Mariner_90
June 20, 2019, 12:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796

I know a lot of your fans liked to critique our style of play - Jolley is clearly going with a target man, so will get the ball forward quick - Your fan base be happy with that? You will effectively play like we did 1st season back in the league. Even though we had Akinde last season, he is far more mobile than Rhead was for us, and I imagine Hanson.

It is hardly like we played like Barcelona for most of last season. There were some games were we played decent football, and we largely do try and keep it on the deck as tradition dictates. However there were plenty of games were we ended up lumping the ball forward to Thomas. Hence why we need someone like Hanson.

In my opinion not a case of going the Lincoln way (even though your style is probably not quite as hit and hope as some like to think), it is more a case of being able to have more than one way of attacking.

Last season Jolley messed up by putting his eggs in the 3-5-2 basket at the start of the season so we had no wingers/big target man.

The 3-5-2 basket was unfortunately not able to hold Jolley's eggs and so they landed on his face and we ended up playing mainly 4-5-1 until January with various players playing out wide to varying effect.

This season he seems to have noted that hence we might be mixing it up with Hanson. Time will tell though as we only have one winger at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 71
Davec
June 20, 2019, 12:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from forza ivano

i think the next couple of signings may well be the test of what is or isn't happening. If who i'm hearing is correct then there may be something to what you're hinting at!

Any names?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
Bigdog
June 20, 2019, 12:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Maringer

It was the diving, cheating and outright gamesmanship which we particularly didn't like. Rhead and Akinde both culpable in this regard though Akinde (pen) obviously has other strings to his bow as well.

Thankfully, Jolley doesn't advocate this sort of thing, unlike the Cowleys who it seems insist on it.

No one here minded Jack Lester being Jack Lester..

I wouldn't think there's a single manager out of the 92 who wouldn't praise a player for cleverly buying a free kick. At times last season we looked a little naive and wouldn't mind us being a little more streetwise in the future if it got us a handful of extra points..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
jamesgtfc
June 20, 2019, 12:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,940
Gold Stars: 190
I certainly don't think creativity in the middle is massively important at this level. A midfield high in energy can be much more effective providing they get into the box!

4-3-3 with Green and Vernam wide could work if the middle 3 bomb forward. Hendrie is a good option getting forward and can deliver a good cross.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
nealeardleyscrossing
June 20, 2019, 1:17pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -325
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I think you're wrong with that analogy, if you see the way Hanson plays he likes balls whipped across the edge of the 6 yard box, so I expect us to play the ball through midfield and out to 2 wide men who can deliver decent crosses.
As for Green he links play and holds up the ball up well, all I'm hoping is Jolley drops the obsession with the 3-5-2 and goes more 4-4-2 or 4-3-3...
And you are right we did critique your style of football but, for as much as it pains me to say so, it worked incredibly well for you...

Green does not hold the ball up well, its not his game at all. Green plays of the shoulder of a target man, and runs the channels all day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
1mickylyons
June 20, 2019, 1:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56

I know a lot of your fans liked to critique our style of play - Jolley is clearly going with a target man, so will get the ball forward quick - Your fan base be happy with that? You will effectively play like we did 1st season back in the league. Even though we had Akinde last season, he is far more mobile than Rhead was for us, and I imagine Hanson.

Me personally not a fan of the long ball game in terms of viewing but I can`t deny it`s effectiveness at times . Lincoln vs Grimsby considering how many points in front you finished of us I wouldn`t say you dominated us particularly in the two games despite you having a massive height advantage ? It`s all about quality delivery into the box and once you estabilish (ie Lincoln) the fear factor from set pieces opposition teams panic and do daft things. Rhead whilst much maligned by many does what it says on the tin if he gets the ball into him in the box he scores lays on a chance or gets a foul . We need several more players in to make me think we are going to go direct ala Lincoln I would hope we just mix it up a bit and clearly we need to score 20-30 more goals if we are to challenge the top 7 at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
nealeardleyscrossing
June 20, 2019, 2:05pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -325
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Me personally not a fan of the long ball game in terms of viewing but I can`t deny it`s effectiveness at times . Lincoln vs Grimsby considering how many points in front you finished of us I wouldn`t say you dominated us particularly in the two games despite you having a massive height advantage ? It`s all about quality delivery into the box and once you estabilish (ie Lincoln) the fear factor from set pieces opposition teams panic and do daft things. Rhead whilst much maligned by many does what it says on the tin if he gets the ball into him in the box he scores lays on a chance or gets a foul . We need several more players in to make me think we are going to go direct ala Lincoln I would hope we just mix it up a bit and clearly we need to score 20-30 more goals if we are to challenge the top 7 at all.

Not sure where you get the height thing from? Pett, Toffolo, Freck, Eardley, Andrade, Anderson, McCartan, O'connor all relatively small. Thats 8 of our side, Shackell, Bostwick and Akinde had height and Power,

We were actually not a big side at all.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
Nutsy
June 20, 2019, 3:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
Gold Stars: 5

Hess and Clifton  dropping behind Vernam or Cook. Then Green and Hanson up top
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
grimsby pete
June 20, 2019, 3:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
All the talk of creative midfield long ball short ball ect ect,

If we are winning most weeks who cares how we play ?.

Goals and points are all that counts,

Having said that I think we will mix it up a bit,

With speedy runs down the wings and the long ball to Hanson.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC Going for it?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.