Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC Going for it?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 203 Guests

GTFC Going for it?

This thread currently has 14,339 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
June 19, 2019, 5:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
How many teams have we seen with a creative midfield in the past few seasons? Not many. It's generally the pacy or skilful wide players or strong strikers who have caused the problems.

With the best will in the world, we were never going to dominate midfield when Woolford, Welsh or Rose were in the middle, regardless of who was playing alongside them.

I think a couple of players (or a few, depending on the formation) who can get around the pitch well, tackle, challenge and also pass the ball a bit are good enough for this division. If we're going to be playing with a midfield 3 again this season, hopefully Whitehouse will be the difference playing alongside those two. I think Clifton struggled at times last season in comparison to the end of the previous one but we were told he was playing with an injury so hopefully he'll be improved this time around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 71
chaos33
June 19, 2019, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from Son of Cod

Clifton and Hess lack creativity but to say they aren't a strong pairing is madness, in my opinion. I'd say that with Whitehouse coming back CM is the strongest area of our squad. Each to their own though.

We're  in dire need of attacking width and creativity.

I’d say they are hard working and tidy with good energy but what can they offer us offensively in terms of assists and goals? Very little combined last season and we need to do better in this area in my view. I like them both and think they are important but we need at least one more quality player with an end product in centre mid.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 71
The_Laughing_Mariner
June 19, 2019, 6:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Cockerill snd cunnington didn't offer much going forward, but they were a strong pairing

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 71
marinerdazza
June 19, 2019, 6:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
Cockerill snd cunnington didn't offer much going forward, but they were a strong pairing

They had Gilbert...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 71
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 19, 2019, 6:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Not only is it the quality of the signings, but also how early some business has been done to get the correct people in.

Not only can the players get to grips with formation/tactics, but it's surely peace of mind for them and their families

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 71
Son of Cod
June 19, 2019, 6:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196

You would have to explain that, they lack creativity but they are a strong pairing?

What is hard to grasp? Creativity is just one aspect of a midfield. Both of these posts sum it up well...

Quoted from Maringer
How many teams have we seen with a creative midfield in the past few seasons? Not many. It's generally the pacy or skilful wide players or strong strikers who have caused the problems.

With the best will in the world, we were never going to dominate midfield when Woolford, Welsh or Rose were in the middle, regardless of who was playing alongside them.

I think a couple of players (or a few, depending on the formation) who can get around the pitch well, tackle, challenge and also pass the ball a bit are good enough for this division. If we're going to be playing with a midfield 3 again this season, hopefully Whitehouse will be the difference playing alongside those two. I think Clifton struggled at times last season in comparison to the end of the previous one but we were told he was playing with an injury so hopefully he'll be improved this time around.

Quoted from chaos33

I’d say they are hard working and tidy with good energy but what can they offer us offensively in terms of assists and goals? Very little combined last season and we need to do better in this area in my view. I like them both and think they are important but we need at least one more quality player with an end product in centre mid.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 71
The_Laughing_Mariner
June 19, 2019, 6:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Exactly, and Childs.  This is the point some posters are making.
That cm partnership, with Whitehouse could work with creative wide players.
Oh for a Joe Waters, Jack of all trades and master of them all

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 71
June 19, 2019, 7:27pm
Guest User
There is this possibility:

MJ has seen the value of having an experienced forward in this league (Thomas), but experience
and youth don't happen together.

He wants to play 2 strikers and develop younger players (as he's said).
He wants (at least) one of the strikers to be "experienced".  And maybe play a youngster alongside.
So he'd need 2 experienced strikers to cover age/injury/suspension issues.

He may start with both Hanson and Green whenever they're both fit - but he doesn't have to.
Reply: 37 - 71
chaos33
June 19, 2019, 7:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357

Are you off your head?!?! They both weighed in with loads of goals and a share of assists.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 71
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 19, 2019, 7:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

Really?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC Going for it?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.