Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC Going for it?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 319 Guests

GTFC Going for it?

This thread currently has 14,340 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
June 18, 2019, 1:28pm
Guest User
Wow, so much negativity on the forum and we aren't even in pre-season yet!
Reply: 10 - 71
Heisenberg
June 18, 2019, 2:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,036
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Like Cricklewood says we will have to wait and see what we end up with but you can`t argue that these 2 incomings are anything but quality league 2 signings . I am optimistic that more will follow and Hanson in interview gives that pointer so let`s enjoy today`s news and cross our fingers for more.

Yeah, I'm with you really, I need to lighten up!

UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 71
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 18, 2019, 2:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 123614
Wow, so much negativity on the forum and we aren't even in pre-season yet!

It is a reaction against all the stupid hype we have seen over the past few years that have led to little except a belated promotion.

Can’t really blame people for being pessimistic or sceptical about signings they have hardly heard of who may not be over the hill but are not in the first flush of youth either. One thing about being a pessimist, we are rarely disappointed.

The game has changed and the fortunes of this club have changed at the same time - an unfortunate coincidence when it comes to attracting and signing players. We have enough “older heads” in the squad now, I would tend to agree with Micky that what we need are some long term loans from the Championship or Div 1 to bring the sort of quality and energy we got from Embleton last year. Either that or take a punt on some non-leaguers.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 71
chaos33
June 18, 2019, 5:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Or both.

I think the two strikers we’ve signed could be regarded as really positive although there might be some understandable reservations about their age/fitness.

We still need a few more players to pull us up to competitive quality in my view. I’d like us to acquire a at least 2 quality defenders, at least 2 quality central midfielders, one of whom should be of the Embleton type and at least one quality wide player, maybe two. Max Wright is promising but is a kid. Hanson and Green will require crosses to be seen to best effect. We must set our stall out that way.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 71
rancido
June 18, 2019, 5:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 1mickylyons

My point is Lew it must have been agreed to get players in and meet higher wage demands if required . Both these players will command higher wages than I bet we have paid out pro rata for years?

Maybe I see things differently but we released 6(?) players , which frees up 6 wages. We have signed 2 players so far , which means we are in " credit " with the playing budget. If we sign 2 more quality players then the overall impact on the playing budget should balance out. I know we have a wage ceiling but surely this will rise each year?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 71
KingstonMariner
June 18, 2019, 6:11pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

Maybe I see things differently but we released 6(?) players , which frees up 6 wages. We have signed 2 players so far , which means we are in " credit " with the playing budget. If we sign 2 more quality players then the overall impact on the playing budget should balance out. I know we have a wage ceiling but surely this will rise each year?

Surely it will only rise if the income rises. Not looking likely at the moment.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 71
wiggers
June 18, 2019, 6:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
Two good solid signings so far, would think that would be it for strikers now. Need 3 defenders 1 central midfielder and a couple of wide men and we should be set. If they are of the calibre of the two we have got so far then I’ll see it as an improvement on the previous season. I think that’s all we can do, slowly improve year on year. I think handing out two year contracts helps in this regard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 71
lew chaterleys lover
June 18, 2019, 9:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 1mickylyons

My point is Lew it must have been agreed to get players in and meet higher wage demands if required . Both these players will command higher wages than I bet we have paid out pro rata for years?

As much as I would like to agree with you I think it is unlikely that the budget is any different to previous years.

One thing Jolley will have learned is that he has to juggle our limited budget to the absolute max - so no more Welsh type signings.

I suppose if season tickets sales continue to bomb then Fenty might have a shortfall to make up but that is not the same as any positive intention to go for it.

Here's hoping Jolley does the business.

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 71
jamesgtfc
June 18, 2019, 10:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from rancido

Hooper (High earner given he came from League 1)
Welsh (High earner and marquee signing)
Thomas (High earner)
Whitmore (Moderate earner)
RHJ (Low to moderate earner)
Collins (Moderate to high earner)

Purely speculating on the wages but most of the players released will have been decent earners. Fenty openly said that he didn't back MJ enough last season which suggests a budget increase this season. Strikers generally cost more and we have doubled the experience up there. If we can get another 2 or 3 players in before pre-season starts I think we will be in a very good position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 71
Bigdog
June 18, 2019, 10:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Are we going for it?

Not really whipping myself up into a frenzy quite yet. We've signed two forwards who have the profiles of typical signings for a mid-table League Two side. Both have got the capability to be a success, but both also could disappoint going on recent history and both could easily be on the downgrade. One not good enough for a side that are promotion favourites, the other nowhere near the quality of the forwards signed for his home town club who are also promotion favourites. And then there's the question of who is going to supply the chances for them. We're nowhere near having that conundrum sorted either. Finding myself keeping my hopes in check and would prefer to be pleasantly surprised rather than brought back down to earth by getting giddy over two signings that teams at the top of League Two wouldn't be inteested in. Age a bit of an issue for me as both are in their thirties, and would have liked us to invest in a forward from the lower leagues or an academy higher up the ladder alongside one or the other.

Long way to go yet.. and I'm really not falling for the "going for it" marketing ploy from GTFC until I see the rest of the signings.. and there should be another half a dozen to come in. And as for Whitehouse being intended to be our star player last year.. he spent most of the time on the bench for a play-off team the season before and then has had a significant injury. I think we need to calm down our expectations about him next season, the lad will need time and not any weight of expectation on his shoulders for him to hopefully come good..

Haven't seen anything to get giddy about... yet..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC Going for it?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.