Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC Going for it?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 210 Guests

GTFC Going for it?

This thread currently has 14,332 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
gytone
June 19, 2019, 7:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,019
Gold Stars: 7
Cockerill and Cunnington were fantastic going forward and defending, pity we can't get 2 like that now, then again i suspect they wouldn't be on the pitch very long these days......sadly .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 71
toontown
June 19, 2019, 10:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Cockers scored more as i remember, whereas Cunninghton's poor shooting (almost always shot over) was probably his only weakness, although he still weighed in with the odd few. In both their cases their strong running from midfield created chances and goals.

As far as Clifton and Hessenthaler are concerned i would say Harry is more like the above two (although obviously not at their level) in that his positivity and attacking drive from the midfield on occasions creates chances and/or scores goals. Hessanthaler doesnt really offer much attacking creativity, but is the 'tidier' deeper player.

If we are to have these as a midfield 2 then we need proper wingers for creativity, especially after signing green and hansen, who are going to thrive on crosses i would have thought.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 71
londonmariner2
June 19, 2019, 11:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -24
Gold Stars: 1
Harry Clifton to Doncaster 250k?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 71
KingstonMariner
June 19, 2019, 11:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from londonmariner2
Harry Clifton to Doncaster 250k?

Unlikely amount surely? Not even sure Donny would go for him, much as we lov him.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 71
1mickylyons
June 20, 2019, 6:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Cockerill snd cunnington didn't offer much going forward, but they were a strong pairing

They both scored around half a dozen goals a Season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 71
forza ivano
June 20, 2019, 9:38am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from 1mickylyons
The 2 signings so far suggest to me seem to signal a statement of intent if nothing else then in terms of wage structure being altered I can`t see either being cheap in League 2 terms ? Really hoping these are the first of half a dozen or so quality signings and I just wonder who is agreeing to bankroll it?

i think the next couple of signings may well be the test of what is or isn't happening. If who i'm hearing is correct then there may be something to what you're hinting at!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 71
1mickylyons
June 20, 2019, 9:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from forza ivano

i think the next couple of signings may well be the test of what is or isn't happening. If who i'm hearing is correct then there may be something to what you're hinting at!

Yes it`s true the jungle drums are beating a loud positive beat so much so I expect to once again be a season ticket holder come August but for now I will wait and see what occurs?UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 71
nealeardleyscrossing
June 20, 2019, 11:40am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -323
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Yes it`s true the jungle drums are beating a loud positive beat so much so I expect to once again be a season ticket holder come August but for now I will wait and see what occurs?UTM

I know a lot of your fans liked to critique our style of play - Jolley is clearly going with a target man, so will get the ball forward quick - Your fan base be happy with that? You will effectively play like we did 1st season back in the league. Even though we had Akinde last season, he is far more mobile than Rhead was for us, and I imagine Hanson.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 71
Northbank Mariner
June 20, 2019, 11:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171

I know a lot of your fans liked to critique our style of play - Jolley is clearly going with a target man, so will get the ball forward quick - Your fan base be happy with that? You will effectively play like we did 1st season back in the league. Even though we had Akinde last season, he is far more mobile than Rhead was for us, and I imagine Hanson.

I think you're wrong with that analogy, if you see the way Hanson plays he likes balls whipped across the edge of the 6 yard box, so I expect us to play the ball through midfield and out to 2 wide men who can deliver decent crosses.
As for Green he links play and holds up the ball up well, all I'm hoping is Jolley drops the obsession with the 3-5-2 and goes more 4-4-2 or 4-3-3...
And you are right we did critique your style of football but, for as much as it pains me to say so, it worked incredibly well for you...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 71
Maringer
June 20, 2019, 11:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184

It was the diving, cheating and outright gamesmanship which we particularly didn't like. Rhead and Akinde both culpable in this regard though Akinde (pen) obviously has other strings to his bow as well.

Thankfully, Jolley doesn't advocate this sort of thing, unlike the Cowleys who it seems insist on it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC Going for it?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.