Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women's World Cup Finals
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 291 Guests

Women's World Cup Finals

This thread currently has 35,658 views. Print
31 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
July 3, 2019, 7:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,424
Gold Stars: 115
A nephew of mine worked on "VAR" at the very start and initially it was to be brought in for " did it cross the line or didn't it " and should have stayed there. We are now getting statistics for everything-how many completed passes, whether 2 metre tip taps or defence splitting through balls-it's all there FFS. Soon it will be " 33% of the England team are wearing green boots-15% red but only half are made in Panama. The Panama Canal isn't a real canal as we know it, made up of lakes etc. Gary , do you know that the average wage in Panama is a 1000'th of yours.   The game ends there and we are sorry we didn't have time to show you any of the 5 goals Grimsbee scored against Man. City.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 300
Rik e B
July 3, 2019, 9:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Caught it from the 46th minute with England 2-1 down and have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the athletiscm and skill levels on show - massive advancements on the last time I tuned in. Quite liked the more delicate nature of the ladies, its a different game and should be accepted as such. By the 75th minute I was thoroughly enthralled egging The Lionesses on.

It's gutting to see such a classy goal disallowed but for me the decision was quick and I had no problem with VAR in the second half. It adds a layer of drama for me, though it might be tougher to take actually being in the stands stood waiting about. It's here to stay and I think it's important the right decisions are made in big moments, it will surely iron itself out over time.

For the offside I immediately thought offside on seeing the initial replay, sadly its the law which is wrong right now which not VARs fault. We should go back to giving a bit of leeway to the attackers such as the 'clear daylight' old rule or similar not if half a big toe is in front of the defender it's no goal. And watching the referee dissecting the replays from all angles for the penalty while being able to see what she was watching was nail biting entertainment (for me). But again sat in the stands that would be more frustrating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 300
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 3, 2019, 10:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rik e B
Caught it from the 46th minute with England 2-1 down and have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the athletiscm and skill levels on show - massive advancements on the last time I tuned in. Quite liked the more delicate nature of the ladies, its a different game and should be accepted as such. By the 75th minute I was thoroughly enthralled egging The Lionesses on.

It's gutting to see such a classy goal disallowed but for me the decision was quick and I had no problem with VAR in the second half. It adds a layer of drama for me, though it might be tougher to take actually being in the stands stood waiting about. It's here to stay and I think it's important the right decisions are made in big moments, it will surely iron itself out over time.

For the offside I immediately thought offside on seeing the initial replay, sadly its the law which is wrong right now which not VARs fault. We should go back to giving a bit of leeway to the attackers such as the 'clear daylight' old rule or similar not if half a big toe is in front of the defender it's no goal. And watching the referee dissecting the replays from all angles for the penalty while being able to see what she was watching was nail biting entertainment (for me). But again sat in the stands that would be more frustrating.

Never mind the stands, I find sitting in the chair waiting for VAR an annoyance of the first order. I want to see the ball in play, that's why the game is called football not "let's all get excited waiting for the VAR-ball". The game is the thing that's exciting not some half-@rsed technology. If I want that I'll buy a Play Station.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 300
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 3, 2019, 10:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from promotion plaice

Gutted that we lost and well done to our women anyway, let's hope the English cricket team can keep the other World Cup dream going tomorrow.

Can't wait for next year, the BBC are sponsoring the Transgender World Cup.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 300
Rik e B
July 3, 2019, 10:33am

Whiskey Drinker
Don't they usually get allowed in with the women where they destroy all before them due to more powerful attributes, especially in strength/power based sports? 🙄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 300
Rik e B
July 3, 2019, 10:39am

Whiskey Drinker
I'll make a prediction, VAR doesn't kill the game and football continues to go from strength to strength. Frustrating as it is or can be currently I don't forsee the death knell of the game as a result of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 300
golfer
July 3, 2019, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,424
Gold Stars: 115

Can't wait for next year, the BBC are sponsoring the Transgender World Cup.

Ron-you can't say that on here - "But I like you "
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 300
grimsby pete
July 3, 2019, 11:39am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I thought they was only going to use VAR when a clear and obvious error by the ref was made,

Whites big toe does not construct a minor error never mind a clear and obvious one,

VAR  should be used as it was intended to do and only stop the game when it is clear like when Maradona scored with his hand or Lampard's shot was a foot over the line  otherwise it will ruin our great game.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 300
SpudUDontLike
July 3, 2019, 11:39am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
re VAR I've always been a bit of a Luddite but to my mind it's yet another manifestation of what I see everywhere these days (especially at work), which is that if something is possible via the use of technology then it's always seen as necessarily a good thing to implement, which in my experience it often isn't. It's often balderdash.

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 300
lew chaterleys lover
July 3, 2019, 12:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
It's the law of unintended consequences striking again.

Did the powers that be really want the game to be stopped minutes on end and goals disallowed because of an offside toe?

The trade-off between getting some decisions correct after endless viewings are not worth the slowing of the game and the controversy that VAR is bringing to each major game.

Private Message
Reply: 249 - 300
31 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women's World Cup Finals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.