Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Whitmore and RHJ gone
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 306 Guests

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 64.

Whitmore and RHJ gone

This thread currently has 11,356 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
May 16, 2019, 11:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Tommy
No big losses for me. Not bothered about either.

Whitmore was a "head it, kick it" defender who'd put his body in front of anything and throw his head into aerial challenges. But I didn't think there was ever any thought or direction on where he was actually heading the ball. Can do better.

Hall-Johnson is a funny one because he was a key part of our 3-5-2 system actually being effective and working. When playing as one of the 3 centre-backs that is, not as a wing-back. Has never really been trusted with a proper run of games I don't think, and never seems to last 90 minutes either. I actually think his physical attributes make him seem a much better footballer than he actually is. And if he didn't cover ground as well as he does, we wouldn't think much of him. Technically very limited I think, poor passer of the ball, not much game intelligence and despite one or two good games as an overlapping centre-back, poor end product in the final third. Again, can do better.

A little bit harsh on both Tommy, but football's a game of opinions. One caveat is, for every "can do better" new signing, we seem to be capable of making at least one "can do worse" over the years..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 64
Tommy
May 16, 2019, 12:39pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Bigdog

A little bit harsh on both Tommy, but football's a game of opinions. One caveat is, for every "can do better" new signing, we seem to be capable of making at least one "can do worse"..

D'you know what, I actually probably don't disagree that I'm being a bit harsh on both.

I don't think there would've been too many complaints amongst the fanbase if both had been retained. And like Davis, they haven't looked out of their depth or particularly poor players. Maybe it's just getting older and tired of the mediocrity we've seen for the last 20 years, that I don't want to settle for players that do "alright" and "aren't bad players" - I just want us to be more ruthless and get better.

I think in most games I saw last season, we didn't have particularly poor players (despite your thoughts on DC   ), but they were either not very effective in competitive games, or just not as good as players that most other teams had. And as much as continuity can "building" can breed some success, I just want us to be better. The key note to this is that ultimately, the budget may have the biggest impact on to what extent we are able to do this.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 64
forza ivano
May 16, 2019, 1:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,142
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Bigdog

A little bit harsh on both Tommy, but football's a game of opinions. One caveat is, for every "can do better" new signing, we seem to be capable of making at least one "can do worse"..

think that's a little unfair on jolley.
this was his first line up (3-5-2)    
McKeown, Collins and Clifton were all regulars this season. Ben davies, clarke and suliman  not as good as hendrie, davies and rhj. Fox and ring, probably fox but probably fair to say that the jury's out. Berrett and Rose not as good as Hess and Embleton. Matt & Dembele up front. Difficult to say on this one as Matt didn't pull up any trees but has gone on to much better things; as has Dembele , although by this stage Dembele wasn't interested and was completely ineffectual. Whatever you say about Thomas he scored goals, generally worked hard and had  a bit of class. Dennis, Cardwell and Cook have all been as ineffectual as Matt was on so many occasions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 64
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
May 16, 2019, 1:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from forza ivano

McKeown, Collins and Clifton were all regulars this season. Ben davies, clarke and suliman  not as good as hendrie, davies and rhj. Fox and ring, probably fox but probably fair to say that the jury's out. Berrett and Rose not as good as Hess and Embleton. Matt & Dembele up front. Difficult to say on this one as Matt didn't pull up any trees but has gone on to much better things; as has Dembele , although by this stage Dembele wasn't interested and was completely ineffectual. Whatever you say about Thomas he scored goals, generally worked hard and had  a bit of class. Dennis, Cardwell and Cook have all been as ineffectual as Matt was on so many occasions

Cardwell was a slade signing anyway

I think jolleys done pretty well transfer wise generally, and I'd say he gave a fair crack in the team to everyone in the squad at different times in the season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 64
HertsGTFC
May 16, 2019, 9:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,657
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from forza ivano

I can’t remember Ben Davis, Clarke & Sullivan playing in a three but I kinda get what you’re saying.

What the concern is that in the last few seasons we’ve had to do a big rebuild, going into next term I thought it would be different but for whatever reason it’s not.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Whitmore and RHJ gone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.