forza ivano
May 14, 2019, 4:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,132
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from MuddyWaters

RHJ chose to leave as he's out of contract - guessing he's got a better offer from a club down south and our offer fell short.

he hasn't got anywhere to go yet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
Maringer
May 14, 2019, 4:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from diehardmariner

Interesting you say that.  I agree about the passing quickly and accurately but the the four automatically promoted sides from the two tiers above us all had defenders who pushed forward and caused problems, be it from wide areas or centrally.  Sheffield United were the masters of this all season and always had centre-backs overlapping.

I'd imagine that their defenders were pretty decent with the ball at their feet as well as pushing forward well. At our level, you'll probably only get one or the other in general. There is usually a reason why players are appearing at a particular level and it isn't too common to unearth one who should be playing higher.

I'd personally prefer to have a solid defender who can pass it quickly and effectively to the (hopefully) more creative players further upfield. Not a problem with them pushing forward when possible (Pearson used to surge forward quite well at times, for example), but I think you will probably lose more opportunities because of slow and inaccurate passing than from not having a defender further upfield.

I do think that the difference in quality between the 3rd and 4th tier seems to be a lot bigger than it was in the past. Makes sense if you assume that the better British players displaced by foreigners in the PL (and increasingly the Championship) will be working their way down the divisions. Unfortunately, not enough good players around to make parity between L1/L2!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
KingstonMariner
May 14, 2019, 6:39pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
My palace supporting in laws claim RHJ is signing for them

Might be a load of bollucks but why it deserves red-crosses I dunno. Maybe there's some Brighton fans lurking.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
friskneymariner
May 14, 2019, 6:44pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
My palace supporting in laws claim RHJ is signing for them

Colchester.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
KingstonMariner
May 14, 2019, 7:18pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from friskneymariner

Colchester.

He surely knows who his in-laws support.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
moosey_club
May 14, 2019, 8:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,211
Gold Stars: 226
RHJ was signed by Slade and then sent immediately on loan to Chester....brought back and played sporadically inbetween injuries....if that is his last 2 seasons then no wonder he maybe fancies a change nearer to his "home".

Shame as i liked the look of him and seemed like one of the players who had the adaptability Jolley is maybe looking for in his defensive systems.

All the best RHJ.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
toontown
May 14, 2019, 11:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
RHJ gave his all and was versatile but simply not good enough with the ball at his feet in terms of crossing or passing to make it worthwhile playing a central back 3 in order to shoehorm him into the starting 11. Good enough as backup full back and general cover for a promotion chasing side but thats about it. Not a starter.
Definitely wish him the best tho and he is young enough to be getting better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
rancido
May 15, 2019, 7:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Abdul19

RHJ chose to leave, I'm guessing Whitmore's the same.

But if he really wanted them then you would have thought they would have been given some kind of incentive to stay ie an improved contract. I'm sure that MJ would have planned for this and have some kind of contingency option in mind.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
Tommy
May 16, 2019, 10:28am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
No big losses for me. Not bothered about either.

Whitmore was a "head it, kick it" defender who'd put his body in front of anything and throw his head into aerial challenges. But I didn't think there was ever any thought or direction on where he was actually heading the ball. Can do better.

Hall-Johnson is a funny one because he was a key part of our 3-5-2 system actually being effective and working. When playing as one of the 3 centre-backs that is, not as a wing-back. Has never really been trusted with a proper run of games I don't think, and never seems to last 90 minutes either. I actually think his physical attributes make him seem a much better footballer than he actually is. And if he didn't cover ground as well as he does, we wouldn't think much of him. Technically very limited I think, poor passer of the ball, not much game intelligence and despite one or two good games as an overlapping centre-back, poor end product in the final third. Again, can do better.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
forza ivano
May 16, 2019, 10:43am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,132
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Tommy
No big losses for me. Not bothered about either.

Whitmore was a "head it, kick it" defender who'd put his body in front of anything and throw his head into aerial challenges. But I didn't think there was ever any thought or direction on where he was actually heading the ball. Can do better.

Hall-Johnson is a funny one because he was a key part of our 3-5-2 system actually being effective and working. When playing as one of the 3 centre-backs that is, not as a wing-back. Has never really been trusted with a proper run of games I don't think, and never seems to last 90 minutes either. I actually think his physical attributes make him seem a much better footballer than he actually is. And if he didn't cover ground as well as he does, we wouldn't think much of him. Technically very limited I think, poor passer of the ball, not much game intelligence and despite one or two good games as an overlapping centre-back, poor end product in the final third. Again, can do better.

can't disagree with any of that Tommy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Whitmore and RHJ gone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.