7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
May 13, 2019, 10:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,139
Gold Stars: 265
Rhj says that it was his decision to leave but he hasn't got anywhere lined up at present
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 64
Maringer
May 13, 2019, 10:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I think Whitmore has looked decent enough most of the time (or as decent as any of the players in what was an ever-changing defence last season). However, there isn't really room for more than one 'stopper' in a team these days and Ohman is obviously first choice for that role. Davis is more mobile and better with the ball at his feet and had some good spells so is probably a better fit if we're going to be playing three at the back as seems pretty certain. Wouldn't surprise me to see us play against Whitmore next season.

As for RHJ, it's a surprise he's gone but I'm not convinced he's good enough in any role with three at the back. Perhaps a move down south to a League 2 or Conference club for him?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 64
mimma
May 13, 2019, 11:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
RHJ showed how good he could be against Palace in the cup. However if he wants away then so be it. Trick is to find a replacement that is better than him, as is the case with every player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 64
louth_in_the_south
May 14, 2019, 12:47am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Our defensive record last season is hardly a reason to keep any of our defence . From what I saw I thought Whitmore was just a lumbering conference player . RHJ looked like he could’ve been a good player but never nailed down a place in 2 years . Says it all really.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 64
RonMariner
May 14, 2019, 9:40am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Whitmore was nothing special at this level, and of course was part of that dismal Chesterfield side that went down.  I thought RHJ had potential, and was worth keeping, but it looks like it was his decision to move on so not a lot we can do about it.

With these seven departures (including Welsh) the ball really is in Jolley's court now.

I think this transfer window will make of break him as a manager. Given the rollercoaster of form last year I think the jury is still out on whether he has what it takes to bring success to the club.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 64
Mariner93er
May 14, 2019, 9:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
I think this means we'll be playing 4 at the back now. Realistically, the only starting position RHJ was going to get was right centre back in a back 5 anyway, and he probably knew that. Whitmore was solid, but replaceable. I'd only expect to see one more centre back now with pollock now on a pro contract.

Overall I think we'll see a lot of faith placed in the youth players who have come through. Trusting them means we need less signings, but more wages for those signings. At least I hope so, it would be nice to see quality of quantity for once.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 64
May 14, 2019, 9:54am
Guest User
You'd imagine that with all the current players and their contracts/releases sorted we might hear some news soon? One would presume that after the news of those two going yesterday - something that many will see as 'bad news' (especially in regard to RHJ), that the club will want to counteract the 'bad news' with some good news, wouldn't be surprised to hear about a new signing before the end of the week....
Indeed Jolley did say last week that they were well down the line in talks with several players, and that we're not going to be signing 3-4 next week. You'd think if there was no chance of anyone coming he would have just said, we're not going to be seeing anyone coming in just yet. 3-4 doesn't rule out 1-2...
Reply: 36 - 64
diehardmariner
May 14, 2019, 11:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 518
RHJ was outstanding, in my opinion, when deployed on the right of a back three.  Not only did his pace and ability to get in front of the man give us something extra as opposed to the traditional 6'2 just-head-it types at this level, but he gave us a real threat when overlapping down the right flank.

At the very worst he was good cover across all defensive positions.  Disappointed he's gone but seeing as he's said he's decided to leave, it looks very much like we offered him a deal and he wants to try something new.  Big loss in my opinion.  

Whitmore - Less bothered about.  Always thought it would be one or the other when it came to him and Davis. Both bog standard at this level.  If you look at Whitmore's record in recent seasons it isn't encouraging either.
16/17 - Spent most of the season at Morecambe - survived by six points
17/18 - Second half of the season at Chesterfield - Relagated
18/19 - Full season with Town....
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 64
lew chaterleys lover
May 14, 2019, 11:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,546
Gold Stars: 231
Whoever goes or comes in, the very first thing to ascertain is whether they actually want to move to this part of the country, or if they travel are absolutely sure it is for them.

I hope we tell them to forget about stereotypes, and find them rented accommodation in Scartho, Waltham, or any of the lovely villages around.

To have any hope of success with out limited budget we will have to have a close knit squad, who actually want to be here.

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 64
Maringer
May 14, 2019, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from diehardmariner
RHJ was outstanding, in my opinion, when deployed on the right of a back three.  Not only did his pace and ability to get in front of the man give us something extra as opposed to the traditional 6'2 just-head-it types at this level, but he gave us a real threat when overlapping down the right flank.

He certainly was very strong in the challenge and this often worked out in his favour as he won the ball back when tackled as he charged forward. However, I personally don't think his passing/distribution was nearly up to the task. If we really are going to try to become a passing team, I think we need to worry less about central defenders charging forward and more about getting the ball to the midfield and forwards quickly and accurately.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up, that's for sure. There wasn't something quite right about his body language this season but I assumed this was just because he was knackered due to trying to get his fitness back after injury. If he really was wanting to move a bit further south, then that might explain it to some degree.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Whitmore and RHJ gone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.