diehardmariner
May 14, 2019, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,530
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Maringer

He certainly was very strong in the challenge and this often worked out in his favour as he won the ball back when tackled as he charged forward. However, I personally don't think his passing/distribution was nearly up to the task. If we really are going to try to become a passing team, I think we need to worry less about central defenders charging forward and more about getting the ball to the midfield and forwards quickly and accurately.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up, that's for sure. There wasn't something quite right about his body language this season but I assumed this was just because he was knackered due to trying to get his fitness back after injury. If he really was wanting to move a bit further south, then that might explain it to some degree.

Interesting you say that.  I agree about the passing quickly and accurately but the the four automatically promoted sides from the two tiers above us all had defenders who pushed forward and caused problems, be it from wide areas or centrally.  Sheffield United were the masters of this all season and always had centre-backs overlapping.

I know there's a gulf of difference between the leagues but I would have thought that the benefit from the stretching the play would equal or even outweigh any benefit may gain from better passing, especially with the lesser technical players - probably easier to train players to be fitter/faster than it is to be technically better.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 64
rancido
May 14, 2019, 1:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Madeleymariner
2 of the better defenders out of the 5 senior players that were left.  

The only reason I can see for MJ allowing these two to leave is that he has better in his sights.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 64
Mariner Timsky
May 14, 2019, 1:26pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
If we cant get in better than whats left us we really are doomed  

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 64
Abdul19
May 14, 2019, 1:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,545
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from rancido

The only reason I can see for MJ allowing these two to leave is that he has better in his sights.

RHJ chose to leave, I'm guessing Whitmore's the same.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 64
GollyGTFC
May 14, 2019, 1:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Surprised about RHJ very versatile and often our best centre half in a 352.

Surprised? You think RHJ leaving was the club's decision?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 64
Jarmo.Is.God
May 14, 2019, 2:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Abdul19

RHJ chose to leave, I'm guessing Whitmore's the same.

It sounds to me like MJ knew it needs improving, and decided to keep Davis and replace Whitmore and Collins with just 1 player, with Pollock now becoming a pro, all makes perfect sense to me.

RHJ I think you are right, judging by his message, he want's to go down south, good player, who give 100% every time, so no bad words towards him at all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 64
Kris2
May 14, 2019, 3:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from rancido

He probably didn't have a choice in the matter. He can't hold people hostage at the club that want to go elsewhere for a better offer.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 64
louth_in_the_south
May 14, 2019, 3:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
My palace supporting in laws claim RHJ is signing for them

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 64
MuddyWaters
May 14, 2019, 3:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

RHJ chose to leave as he's out of contract - guessing he's got a better offer from a club down south and our offer fell short.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 64
monkeyboy
May 14, 2019, 3:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
My guess would be the deals offered were not the greatest, Whitmore probably offered a crap deal as he was very replaceable.  RHJ im guessing was probably offered an ok ish deal but had other factors like location.

Both are replaceable. in my mind though the real problem is in midfield and not the defence, oposition seemed bypass the mid and theyy were not creative enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Whitmore and RHJ gone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.