Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Could this be it? Freemo latest.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 303 Guests

Could this be it? Freemo latest.

This thread currently has 13,109 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 13, 2019, 12:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from marinerdazza

Their council paid for it.

Not really. The stadium was run by a stand alone company owned by the council and it has always been called the Keepmoat because of a big sponsorship deal with Keepmoat Housing. Then there was a lot of regeneration cash swilling about there in the ex-mining area from the Labour government in Prescott’s time. The council sold the stadium to the club after about 5 years of making big losses on the running of it. The stadium is part of a big leisure complex as you will have seen and the other facilities like the mini-stadium next door are rented out as and when. Being Doncaster in the middle of South Yorks there is a big catchment for rugby and football teams needing temporary homes and for stuff like concerts.

Civvy’s point is a good one, we have to get behind a new stadium warts and all if we are going to get one at all. But it has to be a stadium to suit GTFC and the locality. Copying York, Scunny, Donny .......it  is just not workable for us.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 75
TheRealJohnLewis
May 13, 2019, 12:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

POST OF THE CENTURY RIGHT THERE WELL SAID CIVVY

THE TOXIC ELEMENT ON THIS BOARD IS PATHETIC!!!!!!

WELL SAID THAT MAN GET BEHIND GTFC AND MOVE FORWARD TOGETHER.........................UTM.

GLASS HALF FULL.

All good and well saying we should all move forward together, but for that to happen you need a vision, objectives and goal congruence throughout the board, staff, team and fans.  Until we have a clear picture of where we are moving forward to how do we move forward together?

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 75
Ipswin
May 13, 2019, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from 1mickylyons

That`s because you lack vision Swin.

I know half of Grimsby is on the bones of it's bottom but the type of commercial premises likely to be attracted to Freeman Street even in it's all new singing and dancing form  is unlikely to be sufficient to fill the role of 'anchor tenant', it would have to be the worlds biggest pound shop, vaping outlet, charity shop or mobile phone shop.

I think when the plan for the Freemo redevelopment, which included a new ground for GTFC, was publicised, the House of Holland corner which is what is quoted today, was seen as a possible site for a hotel. Even this seems unlikely to be sufficient to be termed an 'anchor tenant'

Perhaps the Council see GTFC as filling the role with a new ground and a huge commercial development, now that's 'vision' (it's also a pipe dream)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 75
1mickylyons
May 13, 2019, 1:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,381
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Ipswin

I know half of Grimsby is on the bones of it's bottom but the type of commercial premises likely to be attracted to Freeman Street even in it's all new singing and dancing form  is unlikely to be sufficient to fill the role of 'anchor tenant', it would have to be the worlds biggest pound shop, vaping outlet, charity shop or mobile phone shop.

I think when the plan for the Freemo redevelopment, which included a new ground for GTFC, was publicised, the House of Holland corner which is what is quoted today, was seen as a possible site for a hotel. Even this seems unlikely to be sufficient to be termed an 'anchor tenant'

Perhaps the Council see GTFC as filling the role with a new ground and a huge commercial development, now that's 'vision' (it's also a pipe dream)

I know you don`t live in the Town anymore and your visits are rarer than your praise for anything GTFC do on a football field so....... Not sure when you last visited the area we`re talking about but it`s been flattened . The East Marsh which is a huge % of the population has nil or some very poor leisure/shopping facilities within it`s boundaries. The once upon a time award winning precinct of Freshney Place is 50% boarded up due to high rents and the downturn in retail shopping on the high st BUT and I feel crucial it never did have the eateries and other optiions these places have in other Towns. This is a massive ask to get right for the Council and GTFC but living here in Grimsby I honestly think this could genuinely revamp the entire area and give it a much needed kick up the bottom.The Town needs this we have had nothing of note that`s been positive delivered since the heritage centre and freshney place all those year`s ago. The fans and people of the Town will get behind this massively so lets get on with it. I am beginning to think I won`t see a new ground in my lifetime   
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 75
1mickylyons
May 13, 2019, 1:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

It looks amazing on the photo`s do you agree? I also saw something a Town fan put up with the iconic dock tower behind the new ground bloody hell I thought THAT`S what I want for my Club it looked unreal it probably is unreal and I await the news we`re groundsharing with GY Boro
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 75
1mickylyons
May 13, 2019, 1:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

All good and well saying we should all move forward together, but for that to happen you need a vision, objectives and goal congruence throughout the board, staff, team and fans.  Until we have a clear picture of where we are moving forward to how do we move forward together?

The MT are aware and know the strength of feeling for this move and I will be very disappointed personally if when the time is right they don`t call for that feeling to be displayed . On this subject we need everyone stood steadfast behind the Club and if the Council start dithering to give them the gentle shove in the right direction Town average 4k fan`s but the local support probably runs closer to 20-30 k with an interest they hold the key.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 75
Ipswin
May 13, 2019, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I wouldn't argue with anything you have said but I somehow doubt the residents of East Marsh are going to be sufficiently desperate for leisure, shopping and eateries to justify a huge investment in Freemo. It will need to be one which will attract users from all over the town and beyond.

Also if you read the article again the reference to a £7.1M investment and the 'anchor tenant' specifically mentions the House of Holland site on the corner of Kent Street (initially envisaged as a hotel site) which is some way up from the area behind the market envisaged for the new ground. Major tenants for the strip facing Freeman Street from the Kent Street corner down to the market will be key.

I simply fear this announcement may be a bit previous and the (our) reaction to it a bit more in hope than anything else but then I guess we are so desperate to see a new ground that any straw is worth a grasp..

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 75
mimma
May 13, 2019, 2:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
I'm behind Civvy on this. Luton fans have shown that thousands of letters emails and the like influence the policy makers. They cannot argue with the many thousands of fans that lend their support to the project. On the other hand when we were looking at Peaked Parkway, protesters picked up on the negative comments on this board and used it against it. IF we are to relocate to Freemo fans on this board need to understand the impact of what is put on here can have on any decisions made to relocate.

I am not saying that there shouldn't be a debate or that you can't have a different opinion but some of the crap that appears on here sometimes beggars belief. I am all for proper open and constructive debate. It's the self  centred crap and vile I can't stand.

Get behind it this could be the last chance we have of a new stadium
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 75
The_Laughing_Mariner
May 13, 2019, 2:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
In the original images in the Telegraph the Ibis hotel ran from Riby Sq corner to Kent St corner,

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 75
Mrs Doyle
May 13, 2019, 2:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Err is not the giant hotel chain ibis going to build a big hotel there they are big hitter get them on board the new community stadium idea who knows.

Also don't rule out government grants etc,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Could this be it? Freemo latest.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.