May 10, 2019, 1:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from devs
Hurst was/is a top manager at this level

Is he? He only managed a few matches at League Two level before upping sticks for Salop. If he gets the Scunny job his prowess, or lack of it, will become evident.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 145
Son of Cod
May 10, 2019, 2:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease
When are we ever going to stop this f*****g obsession with Paul Hurst ?

F***S Sake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Move on everybody, he was bang average at best and we have had FAR better managers than him in the past and will continue to have in the future !

Any ex-boss taking over at Scunny is big news and deserving of its own thread, surely?

Quoted from devs
Hurst was/is a top manager at this level
He cupped his ear in a split second of emotion and he probably regrets it

Nah, he did that interview on NTT20 last season and it didn't come across like he regretted that at all. I think he might have even brought it up (or a similar incident) himself, without being asked about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 145
devs
May 10, 2019, 2:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
We were 8th when he left - going along very nicely with one of lowest budgets in the league
He took Shrews from bottom of L1 (5/6 pts adrift) to two Wembley finals and narrowly missed out on promotion to Championship... yes, he lost both before some clever bottom reminds me, but there are many managers who wouldn't have achieved either
I think that is evidence he's a 'top' manager at this level - and an established Championship club thought so as well (and that didn't work out, I admit...not on his own there...but is 13 games enough time to totally transform a club?)

The main point is not whether he regrets #earcupgate - it was passion and can we all not move on FFS!!

Bit like a dressing room bust up - things are said in heat of moment; we all calm down; shake hands; move on...but it seems like that is not possible with some on here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 145
Sir Matt Tease
May 10, 2019, 2:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +279
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Son of Cod

Any ex-boss taking over at Scunny is big news and deserving of its own thread, surely?

Nah, he did that interview on NTT20 last season and it didn't come across like he regretted that at all. I think he might have even brought it up (or a similar incident) himself, without being asked about it.

Look forward not backwards, take the best from the past but don't live in it !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 145
RoboCod
May 10, 2019, 2:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
He'll stop their slide down the divisions but, all said and done, he's a prickly little character and right now Scunny's chairman seems to be a fair old larger than life, tell it how it is prickly character.

Could be fun if the pressure cranks up,sacking McCall was a terrible, unnecessary decision for me, not impossible for Hurst to gather a similar set of results.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 145
golfer
May 10, 2019, 2:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,417
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from forza ivano

wouldn't say its in the bag Adam, but they've given themselves a damn good chance with that appointment

Why didn't we think of him ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 145
grimsby pete
May 10, 2019, 2:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
With his track record I can not see Swann giving Hurst 6years to get them promoted,

Seeing as it is a lot easier to go up from this division he might do it in 2 the same as us under MJ.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 145
devs
May 10, 2019, 2:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Sacking Alexander was their most stupid decision - got everything they deserved
They are top end L2 in terms of crowd and fan base but hovering around (and getting in) L1 play offs two seasons running (three?) was apparently not good enough
He was a victim of the ridiculous over-hyped football world we live in and chairmen/fans with delusions of grandeur - never quite happy with what they've got

I want Fylde to beat Salford (same reasons as not liking FGR) but it would be sweet for GA if he got City promoted - they would be in same division as Scunny
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 145
geir
May 10, 2019, 2:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9

I`m checking media but there is no mention of Hurst being manager of Scunthorpe?
There is nothing on their official site either? I think they are quite surprised by this news in Scunthorpe...

And while I`m very grateful for Hurst giving me a wonderful moment at Wembley in the play-off final a few years back, it has to be said that he was very unpopular among the staff (paid and unpaid) at Blundell Park. He was very cold towards them and didn`t, for most of the time, even recognise their existence.
Inside information from people at Blundell Park tell me that Jolley is the complete opposite of Hurst.
Personally I judge people by their actions, and I don`t approve of a boss who doesn`t acknowledge their employees and volunteers by not giving them attention or a pat on the back sometimes.
That`s why I hope that Jolley will be successful at our club - he deserves it on personality alone!

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 145
Gaffer58
May 10, 2019, 2:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
If, he gets the job when we he derbys come along his pre match  interview on hullberside will be interesting, he'll make us sound like world beaters, scare the scunny players to death.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 145
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.