MuddyWaters
May 5, 2019, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from forza ivano

This sort of ego mercenary who scored 11 goals, a quarter of our total. What would we have done withouthim? A short term fix maybe but necessary and one that worked out

He scored 11 and possibly could have scored more (missed two pens) had he worked harder. Today’s Instagram post just showed a complete lack of class and respect.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 76
May 5, 2019, 5:46pm
Guest User
Quoted from forza ivano
One v. Important fact that hasn't been mentioned is that welsh, woolford, thomas and Collins were amongst the top earners.along with Hooper i,d estimate that jolley has freed up nearly £700,000 which I think represents about a third of the budget. That's quite a lot of money to play with especially when you consider that apart from Thomas none of them have been vital to the team

Welsh, Dennis and Macca were top earners this season. Welsh was on 1.8k , Dennis was on less, but more than macca who was upset when Dennis came in on higher pay.
£700,000 is way above the mark of what he has freed up I'm sorry to say...
Reply: 21 - 76
Welwynmariner
May 5, 2019, 5:51pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MarinersOnTheUp

No, he shouldn't. He's scored some decent goals but only ever put any effort in when he could be bothered. Not only that but for me he has a poor attitude and too big of an ego. Summed up by his post on Instagram this morning, laughing and singing at being released with the caption 'no more 3 hour drives'. I don't know about anyone else but after we gave him a contract when nobody else would, I think he should've shown the club a lot more respect.

I'm glad I see the back of all four of them but wish Collins, Woolford and Hooper all the best for he future. Wes Thomas however can get lost.

Someone might remind him that he didn't have to sign for us in the first place. Presumably we were the best offer he had. Given that it was his choice to join it's not unreasonable to expect him to give 110% and if three hour drives were such a problem then he could have rented somewhere in the town?

Says a lot about him imho
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 76
forza ivano
May 5, 2019, 6:04pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Think £700,000 is a bit off the mark Forza, at £2k a week average over egging I reckon at that) that's only approximately £500k...even with overheads I doubt the total saving will exceed £525k..still a good lump that could be spent on a very competent front man and a creative midfielder..

I've factored in employers costs , think headline would be 500,000 but add employers n.i. pension holiday pay and bonuses and I reckon I'm not far off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 76
Northbank Mariner
May 5, 2019, 6:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from forza ivano

I've factored in employers costs , think headline would be 500,000 but add employers n.i. pension holiday pay and bonuses and I reckon I'm not far off

I think you'll find Forza most football players are on a self employed basis, which I am myself, therefore removing employers liability on NI, holidays, tax etc...the length of contract given is just a reassurance that a player will get an income for the length of said contract...therefore your figure of £700k is definitely out..wish it was 700k.. Christ that would get us better quality rather the normal poundstretcher specials we normally end up with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 76
hheh2
May 5, 2019, 6:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Frees up the team for new/better additions. Jollies economic skills put to good use there I reckon. Can see Tomas playing in league two next season for another team unfortunately, hope he doesn't now though! Bet some non league teams will be in for Wools and Colins.

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 76
FishOutOfWater
May 5, 2019, 6:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from hheh2
Frees up the team for new/better additions. Jollies economic skills put to good use there I reckon. Can see Tomas playing in league two next season for another team unfortunately, hope he doesn't now though! Bet some non league teams will be in for Wools and Colins.

I'd let Thomas go to Walsall and then we could get Andy Cook back in  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 76
chipsandgravy
May 5, 2019, 6:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,603
Gold Stars: 37
I am very grateful for his goal contribution and would like to wish him safe passage when he continues his annual "journey" round the lower echelons of the football league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 76
Grantham_Mariner
May 5, 2019, 7:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Very strange to be able to field a team for next season with the players we have under contract two days after the end of the season.
McKeown
Hendrie, Pollock, Ohman, Ring
Wright, Hess,  Clifton, Vernam
Cook, Rose

Subs
Cardwell, Whitehouse, Buckley, Battersby, Curran, Burrell. A.N. Other.

It's a team but we need a few at the back and a goalscorer at least.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 76
LondonMariner43
May 5, 2019, 7:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,952
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Very strange to be able to field a team for next season with the players we have under contract two days after the end of the season.
McKeown
Hendrie, Pollock, Ohman, Ring
Wright, Hess,  Clifton, Vernam
Cook, Rose

Subs
Cardwell, Whitehouse, Buckley, Battersby, Curran, Burrell. A.N. Other.

It's a team but we need a few at the back and a goalscorer at least.

This for me is the main achievement this season.
We have the core of the squad and so Jolley can now focus on bringing in a handful of experienced, quality players to create a spine around which he can put these younger players.

Continuity is key to long term success

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Four players released

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.