Marinerz93
May 5, 2019, 3:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Released

Danny Collins ----- Best of luck Danny, I feel it is the right decision though, we need a younger more mobile CB

Wes Thomas ----- Best of luck Wes, Should be staying, need to spend in bring in equivalent or better

Martyn Woolford ----- Best of luck Martyn, I feel it is the right decision though

JJ Hooper ----- Best of luck JJ, I feel it is the right decision though.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 76
MarinersOnTheUp
May 5, 2019, 3:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Quoted from Marinerz93

Wes Thomas ----- Best of luck Wes, Should be staying, need to spend in bring in equivalent or better

No, he shouldn't. He's scored some decent goals but only ever put any effort in when he could be bothered. Not only that but for me he has a poor attitude and too big of an ego. Summed up by his post on Instagram this morning, laughing and singing at being released with the caption 'no more 3 hour drives'. I don't know about anyone else but after we gave him a contract when nobody else would, I think he should've shown the club a lot more respect.

I'm glad I see the back of all four of them but wish Collins, Woolford and Hooper all the best for he future. Wes Thomas however can get lost.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 76
MuddyWaters
May 5, 2019, 4:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from MarinersOnTheUp

No, he shouldn't. He's scored some decent goals but only ever put any effort in when he could be bothered. My only that but for me he has a poor attitude and too big of an ego. Summed up by his post on Instagram this laughing, laughing and singing at being released with the caption 'no more 3 hour drives'. I don't know about anyone else but after we gave him a contract when nobody else would, I think he should've shown the club a lot more respect.

I'm glad I see the back of all four of them but wish Collins, Woolford and Hooper all the best for he future. Wes Thomas however can get lost.

Absolutely this. The sort of ego mercenary we don’t need.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 76
Marinerz93
May 5, 2019, 4:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MarinersOnTheUp

No, he shouldn't. He's scored some decent goals but only ever put any effort in when he could be bothered. My only that but for me he has a poor attitude and too big of an ego. Summed up by his post on Instagram this laughing, laughing and singing at being released with the caption 'no more 3 hour drives'. I don't know about anyone else but after we gave him a contract when nobody else would, I think he should've shown the club a lot more respect.

A failing of the club not to have gotten him to move to the area, I often have to go to Dudley for meetings / courses and it is a horrible 3 hour drive each way and you have to avoid morning and late afternoon driving as it's a nightmare.

If he indeed did say that then he'll hopefully get what he deserves.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 76
forza ivano
May 5, 2019, 4:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,173
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Absolutely this. The sort of ego mercenary we don’t need.

This sort of ego mercenary who scored 11 goals, a quarter of our total. What would we have done withouthim? A short term fix maybe but necessary and one that worked out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 76
AdamHaddock
May 5, 2019, 4:24pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,838
Gold Stars: 26
If commuting was the problem then I'd imagine he'll be playing against us for Walsall or Cheltenham, maybe Vale. I definitely felt he became more isolated with the change of formation in January. An ageing centre forward expected to chase long balls in a team with no width and non existent service

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 76
Northbank Mariner
May 5, 2019, 4:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Hope nobody touches Thomas with a barge pole and he ends up on the football scrapheap...We have him a chance when no one else would then he chucks it back in our face in this manner!!...leaves a very sour taste in my mouth...
As for Collins, I said before he stayed on one season too long for me and got caught out too many times this year but that said, he leaves with warm wishes and he excels in whatever the future holds for him..
Woolie, big thanks for 2 seasons of hard work and hope he gets something sorted and his still has something to offer but I think it'll have to be in non league now.
Hopper, but like my school "must try harder"..again he'll get something sorted but no doubt it'll be non league which is really about his level .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 76
forza ivano
May 5, 2019, 4:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,173
Gold Stars: 265
One v. Important fact that hasn't been mentioned is that welsh, woolford, thomas and Collins were amongst the top earners.along with Hooper i,d estimate that jolley has freed up nearly £700,000 which I think represents about a third of the budget. That's quite a lot of money to play with especially when you consider that apart from Thomas none of them have been vital to the team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 76
Northbank Mariner
May 5, 2019, 5:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from forza ivano
One v. Important fact that hasn't been mentioned is that welsh, woolford, thomas and Collins were amongst the top earners.along with Hooper i,d estimate that jolley has freed up nearly £700,000 which I think represents about a third of the budget. That's quite a lot of money to play with especially when you consider that apart from Thomas none of them have been vital to the team

Think £700,000 is a bit off the mark Forza, at £2k a week average over egging I reckon at that) that's only approximately £500k...even with overheads I doubt the total saving will exceed £525k..still a good lump that could be spent on a very competent front man and a creative midfielder..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 76
rancido
May 5, 2019, 5:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from forza ivano

This sort of ego mercenary who scored 11 goals, a quarter of our total. What would we have done withouthim? A short term fix maybe but necessary and one that worked out

That's assuming we would have either played with 10 men or whoever was playing that role would have performed worse. With a different striker then maybe they would have scored more - we will never know. As for the commute , he knew that when he signed a 1 year deal.. I was once offered a post in Hull but felt that the financial package offered wouldn't compensate for the commute and financial costs of travelling. When it comes down to it we all have to weigh up the pro's and con's of working away from home.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Four players released

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.