Bigdog
May 5, 2019, 9:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Give it a rest BD.. the spine is fine with Macca, Ohman, Hess and Vernham...in that mix is Hendrie, Clifton, Cook, Wright, a fit Rose, Whitehouse...things are positive rather than negative.

It's not a criticism FFS. We need another centre half, a leader in centre mid and we need a new main striker. If that isn't a spine I don't know what is. Imagine a leader in centre mid with Hess and Clifton buzzing around him, a main striker with Vernam etc playing off him and a leader at the back as I don't think that Davis or Ohman are particularly leaders, maybe Whitmore could be but will he be a regular? If we signed one in each position of better quality and they have more leadership skills, then that is a new spine as I don't see us having a natural leader on the pitch at the moment, never mind two or three..

Give it a rest? Jesus mate.. calm down..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 76
Northbank Mariner
May 5, 2019, 9:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Bigdog

It's not a criticism FFS. We need another centre half, a leader in centre mid and we need a new main striker. If that isn't a spine I don't know what is. Imagine a leader in centre mid with Hess and Clifton buzzing around him, a main striker with Vernam etc playing off him and a leader at the back as I don't think that Davis or Ohman are particularly leaders, maybe Whitmore could be but will he be a regular? If we signed one in each position of better quality and they have more leadership skills, then that is a new spine as I don't see us having a natural leader on the pitch at the moment, never mind two or three..

Give it a rest? Jesus mate.. calm down..

I pointed out that our spine is fine, what your saying is we need additions to make it stronger which I get, but to counter that I honest think Whitehouse (after speaking to Lincoln fans) is the leader and work horse we need, as for a centre half, I'm not sure about that, Ohman is showing signs of becoming a legend and whitmore could be a sound partner for him...
It's not about calming down its about looking at the reality of the situation and not jumping and saying we need to rebuild the spine when it's 90 % there now .
And I've had far too much Bacardi to make any sense are all 😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 76
VinnyGTFC
May 5, 2019, 9:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Looking at the players that have left I would like to see some good experience added again to bring the best out of the youngsters. An experienced centre back with a bit of pace and a midfield general to free Hess up a bit. Don't know where we get a goalscorer from but hopefully there's one out there.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 76
moosey_club
May 5, 2019, 9:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
DC goes with my thanks and best wishes....always committed, passionate and a warrior when needed....his only downfall being his legs which you cant really criticise him for...thats just old father time catching up with him.

Woolford...similar to DC i suppose...I am just bias as he ex Scunny so probably i give him less slack than others...but even yesterday whilst he showed a few glimpses of what he can do he also showed plenty of glimpses of why he needs to hang his boots up.

Thomas ....one excellent game in every 5 or 6...and even then only in glimpses.....his goals have helped us survive but not really prolific in the system Jolley is using. Whatever has gone on obviously challenged Jolley's authority so always going to be cheerio.

JJ Hooper....didnt work out....looked ok at left wing in a 4-5-1 but not an out and out striker at this level...never looked like he believed in himself to me other than the odd flash. Cheerio.

With those four gone...and Welsh....along with the loanees...then should be 5/6 opportunities at least for Jolley to beef up the squad in wide/creative positions and most definitely in the front line. For feelgood factor , ticket sales and just general hope for next season then i pray that we can announce a decent signing or two up front pretty quickly.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 76
Bigdog
May 5, 2019, 9:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I pointed out that our spine is fine, what your saying is we need additions to make it stronger which I get, but to counter that I honest think Whitehouse (after speaking to Lincoln fans) is the leader and work horse we need, as for a centre half, I'm not sure about that, Ohman is showing signs of becoming a legend and whitmore could be a sound partner for him...
It's not about calming down its about looking at the reality of the situation and not jumping and saying we need to rebuild the spine when it's 90 % there now .
And I've had far too much Bacardi to make any sense are all 😂😂

I think we've got better players and in better shape than this time a year ago, especially after today's news. I been positive all season when defending Vernam and Whitmore when others haven't but we've just released MJ's leader at the back (Collins), our intended leader in midfield (Welsh), our main striker (Thomas) and our playmaker (Embleton) has gone back to his parent club. To me that constitutes a new spine is needed for our core of players to play around. Maybe you mean we've got a good core of players to work with (which I agree with) and misinterpret what I mean by a spine? I'm throwing you a friendly bone here mate through your Bacardi haze..  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 76
Grantley
May 5, 2019, 9:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Agree with those that say we need a handful of actually good players. For me, Macca, Hendrie, Öhman, Hess, Clifton and Vernam are of a good enough standard. I also think that Whitehouse, Wright, Rose and RHJ are more than good enough backups (RHJ and Hendrie at fullback would do me fine tbf). I think we need another experienced CB (obviously quicker than Collins, either a experienced midfield general (quicker than Welsh) or another Embleton type and someone who can actually score goals.

It’s fine saying this in hindsight but will the budget actually allow us to do this?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 76
Northbank Mariner
May 5, 2019, 10:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Bigdog

I think we've got better players and in better shape than this time a year ago, especially after today's news. I been positive all season when defending Vernam and Whitmore when others haven't but we've just released our leader at the back (Collins), our intended leader in midfield (Welsh), our main striker (Thomas) and our playmaker (Embleton) has gone back to his parent club. To me that constitutes a new spine is needed for our core of players to play around. Maybe you mean we've got a good core of players to work with (which I agree with) and misinterpret what I mean by a spine? I'm throwing you a bone here mate through your Bacardi haze..  

Yep, I get what you're saying BD ..hope that bone has plenty of meat on it as I'm starving...but through the season our "spine" was better without Collins and we never really needed Welsh and Thomas was present when he wanted to be....
I think we both know where we've been lacking all season and I honestly think, compared to seasons past, we need only a few additions rather than a complete overhaul
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 76
MuddyWaters
May 5, 2019, 10:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Grantley
Agree with those that say we need a handful of actually good players. For me, Macca, Hendrie, Öhman, Hess, Clifton and Vernam are of a good enough standard. I also think that Whitehouse, Wright, Rose and RHJ are more than good enough backups (RHJ and Hendrie at fullback would do me fine tbf). I think we need another experienced CB (obviously quicker than Collins, either a experienced midfield general (quicker than Welsh) or another Embleton type and someone who can actually score goals.

It’s fine saying this in hindsight but will the budget actually allow us to do this?

How can anyone judge Whitehouse? He’s not kicked a ball in anger for us FFS!
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 76
Poojah
May 5, 2019, 10:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
Whilst I think we have a solid base of a squad, I think an element of realism is needed too. If you think back to our last decent season at this level (right the way back in 2006), I don’t see many amongst our current lot that would get into the starting 11 of that side.

I certainly don’t see anyone in the same class as Reddy, the Jones’ (Stick and Lump) or Woodhouse to name just a few. For me the bulk of what we have ranges from slightly below average to slightly above average for the league; if we want to crack on we need to be recruiting players of a demonstrably higher standard than what we’ve got.

Positively however, with Welsh, Collins, Woolford and Thomas gone it frees up a substantial chunk of budget to do just that, without us really losing all that much in terms of quality. I suspect that bringing the youth team graduates into the first team was also largely about freeing up funds to go after more expensive targets.

I’d be happy with 4 or 5 really good permanent signings and a couple of Embleton-sequel loan deals.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 76
Grantley
May 5, 2019, 10:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How can anyone judge Whitehouse? He’s not kicked a ball in anger for us FFS!

He was liked during his time at Lincoln and was good enough for a team that finished in the playoffs. Of course, his injury may have robbed him of some ability so you’re right to an extent. I’d also seen him play a few times before we signed him and I liked him as a player from what I saw.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Four players released

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.