Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I have to say it....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 206 Guests

I have to say it....

This thread currently has 11,737 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Helgy
April 16, 2019, 12:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Perkins
This is turning into a discussion  board amongst Lincoln fans.  No doubt they have realised its a more balanced fans forum than their own.

Don’t mind posting on here but I don’t post on vital
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 63
Les Brechin
April 16, 2019, 1:29pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
As I have said before "rivallry" all goes back to when you first started going regularly. I first started going regularly in the lat 70's, early 80's and it's true that back then, the 2 Sheffield clubs, Barnsley and even to a certain extent Leeds were seen as our main rivals, even though I'm sure that fans of those club would not have classed us as their rivals.

Hull is a funny one as although they are the nearest club geographically to us, we've only ever played them in a competitive fixture a handful of times over the years. We were always above them until our decline corresponded with their rise and as we were going down the league they were going up.

Scunthorpe then became our main rivals I would say until their success but I don't think that anyone can deny that for the past 10-15 years it has been Lincoln who we've had the biggest rivallry with as we've  played them far more times than the other clubs previously mentioned.

Me personally have never really had a problem with Lincoln. I even went to watch them a couple of times in their first spell in the conference when we didn't have a game, when Batchy and Bobby C were playing for them.

Anyway, maybe (hopefully)  next season we'll renew our rivallry with the Scunts again.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 63
Madeleymariner
April 16, 2019, 5:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49

I'm proud to be one of those grumpy bstards! I can't work up much animosity against Lincoln, to be honest, same for Hull. Scunthorpe, however - I detest them as much as I love GTFC. I hate everything about them. The nickname, the badge, the kit. All of it. Why so bitter? Could be due to the fact that my folks moved there and I was the only GTFC fan in my school in the late 70s early 80s... Happy days!

Same here spent my school years from 70-80 in Scunny, which Comp did you go to I was at Thomas Sumpter (They knocked it down a few years ago)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 63
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
April 16, 2019, 9:56pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Same here spent my school years from 70-80 in Scunny, which Comp did you go to I was at Thomas Sumpter (They knocked it down a few years ago)

Fred Gough. They knocked one of them down too but the main one’s still there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I have to say it....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.