Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I have to say it....
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 226 Guests

I have to say it....

This thread currently has 11,732 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
nealeardleyscrossing
April 15, 2019, 3:54pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -323
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

From 1971 through to 1996 we were in Humberside and so we're Scunthorpe and Hull, Lincoln however have always been in Lincolnshire, so there's one reason that in recent history our "local" rivals were in the same county and on top of that are geographically closer to us than Lincoln...The true rivalry between ourselves and yourselves has only really grown in the last 15 years and definitely intensified when we tried to get out of that God forsaken conference..
To me, and I would expect the majority of town fans, a local derby is between 2 teams that are the closest geographically ie Scunthorpe/Hull whereas local rivals are a team that are competing at the same level as you...ie Lincoln..

So many years have you and Hull for example competed against each other in say the last 50/60 years?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 63
RoboCod
April 15, 2019, 3:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Depends what you mean with professional. Thye've pi**ed a lot of people off with their ways, made more enemies than friends but no doubt they'll say it was all worth it as a means to an end to get promotion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 63
nealeardleyscrossing
April 15, 2019, 3:56pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -323
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Passionate, yes
Focussed, yes

Professional? no, couldn't be further away mate

Don't be ridiculous - To achieve what we have done in the last 3 years takes a lot of professionalism - I don't see many ex-players moan , all I see is they praise their meticulous nature to detail etc.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 63
Fishbone
April 15, 2019, 4:39pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +172
Gold Stars: 1
I have to agree. Well done Lincoln. They've had a plan on and off the pitch and they've achieved it. I have to admit to being envious but I'm actually quite happy for a team from the county/area doing well. Sorry! The city itself seems to be doing pretty well in a period of relative stagnation. I hope it leads to a similar plan for us (town and club) but can't really see it in the short term. I think if you look at the stats, we've played Lincoln more than our other 'neighbours' over the years and I'd love to think we'd be joining them in League 1 the season after next but with the iterative, fire fighting strategy we seem to consistently employ and the 17th highest squad investment in the league, I'm not holding my breath. I really hope I'm wrong though!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 63
Perkins
April 15, 2019, 4:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
This is turning into a discussion  board amongst Lincoln fans.  No doubt they have realised its a more balanced fans forum than their own.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 63
psgmariner
April 15, 2019, 6:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Good luck to them. Fenty should be begging them for a meeting on how they got so much right.

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 63
jamesgtfc
April 15, 2019, 6:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from psgmariner
Good luck to them. Fenty should be begging them for a meeting on how they got so much right.

Lincoln owe us some advice after Fenty advised them on how to avoid relegation.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 63
psgmariner
April 15, 2019, 7:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Ha! Forgot about that.

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 63
1mickylyons
April 16, 2019, 8:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56

I know some of your fans don't view as us the 'Local derby', but who have Grimsby spent the most time in the league with over the last say, 50 years?

If we use ,

Lincoln, Hull, Scunthorpe?.

Growing up to be fair the local derbies were usually Barnsley,Sheff Utd we had only odd Seasons where our paths crossed with Lincoln,Scunny or Hull . Hull where always regarded no 1 enemy in the 80s regardless then Scunny and Lincoln was just a nice to have . I would guess anyone from Grimsby who is under 30 and follows GTFC will have it hugely different and arguably Lincoln would be their No 1. Thanks to Sky Tv that`s not reallly an issue though mate were mostly all well over 40 and grumpy as fcuk and still have a hatred for anything the other end of the 180 or across the Humber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 63
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
April 16, 2019, 9:50am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Growing up to be fair the local derbies were usually Barnsley,Sheff Utd we had only odd Seasons where our paths crossed with Lincoln,Scunny or Hull . Hull where always regarded no 1 enemy in the 80s regardless then Scunny and Lincoln was just a nice to have . I would guess anyone from Grimsby who is under 30 and follows GTFC will have it hugely different and arguably Lincoln would be their No 1. Thanks to Sky Tv that`s not reallly an issue though mate were mostly all well over 40 and grumpy as fcuk and still have a hatred for anything the other end of the 180 or across the Humber

I'm proud to be one of those grumpy bstards! I can't work up much animosity against Lincoln, to be honest, same for Hull. Scunthorpe, however - I detest them as much as I love GTFC. I hate everything about them. The nickname, the badge, the kit. All of it. Why so bitter? Could be due to the fact that my folks moved there and I was the only GTFC fan in my school in the late 70s early 80s... Happy days!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I have to say it....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.