Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, April 13, 2019, 5:32pm
...well done to Lincoln. Credit to them.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 13, 2019, 6:00pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

Wash your mouth out with soap and water.

Posted by: Gaffer58, April 13, 2019, 6:02pm; Reply: 2
Looks like they will not be playing the scunts though.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, April 13, 2019, 6:03pm; Reply: 3
Yeah well done Lincoln . You male masturbation.stain wan.kers
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 13, 2019, 6:10pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Gaffer58
Looks like they will not be playing the scunts though.

A Scunt relegation would cushion the crushing blow of a Gimps promotion.
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 13, 2019, 6:13pm; Reply: 5
Gimps have invested and we haven't, more of an embarrassment for the lack of drive from our boardroom.
Posted by: bawarmy, April 13, 2019, 6:13pm; Reply: 6
There’ll be plenty of high sixes in the pubs and clubs in Lincoln tonight.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 13, 2019, 6:21pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

Unfortunately i have to agree.

Secured an up and coming management duo, ridden out on the cup success they had, seized the momentum, signed a proven goal scorer & penalty winner , brand new training facilities,  tripled their home gate over the course of 3 seasons, promoted twice and now above us.

Happy to admit i am envious of their progress as should we all be....and we should be looking to our boardroom to find out why.

Hope it all goes wrong from now on for them though all the same as i hate their style, tactics and classless personalities of their managers.

Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 13, 2019, 6:23pm; Reply: 8
And well done Scunthorpe, they seem desperate to play us next season
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 13, 2019, 6:36pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from moosey_club

Unfortunately i have to agree.

Secured an up and coming management duo, ridden out on the cup success they had, seized the momentum, signed a proven goal scorer & penalty winner , brand new training facilities,  tripled their home gate over the course of 3 seasons, promoted twice and now above us.

Happy to admit i am envious of their progress as should we all be....and we should be looking to our boardroom to find out why.

Hope it all goes wrong from now on for them though all the same as i hate their style, tactics and classless personalities of their managers.

I feel exactly the same way...... unfortunately I also feel they could do a Luton next season🤬
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 13, 2019, 6:39pm; Reply: 10
Shows what can be achieved when you invest in the team.
Posted by: TAGG, April 13, 2019, 6:40pm; Reply: 11
intercourse em
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 13, 2019, 6:41pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from grimsby pete
Shows what can be achieved when you invest in the team.

You only have to look at the bottom of the table to see what can be achieved when you invest similar if not more money and get it wrong.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 13, 2019, 6:56pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You only have to look at the bottom of the table to see what can be achieved when you invest similar if not more money and get it wrong.

County have thrown money at it recklessly.....flash managers, flash players.....Lincoln havn't.  Lincolns biggest outlay over the past couple of seasons has been Matt Rhead butchers bill and a couple of key marquee signings.
They have a set system using players suited to it, everyone knows there job game in game out, they know what to do when they are winning and they know what to do when they are losing, plenty of last 10 minute turnarounds and securing points in injury time.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 13, 2019, 6:59pm; Reply: 14
Yep. Well done Gimps. Shows you what can be acheived when you run a football club properly.

'Be carefeul what you wish for' indeed.
Posted by: Stadium, April 13, 2019, 7:04pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from moosey_club

County have thrown money at it recklessly.....flash managers, flash players.....Lincoln havn't.  Lincolns biggest outlay over the past couple of seasons has been Matt Rhead butchers bill and a couple of key marquee signings.
They have a set system using players suited to it, everyone knows there job game in game out, they know what to do when they are winning and they know what to do when they are losing, plenty of last 10 minute turnarounds and securing points in injury time.

This.
Used investment wisely and look at the results.
Sadly we are light years away from them- both on & off the pitch.

Posted by: Heisenberg, April 13, 2019, 7:11pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Stadium

This.
Used investment wisely and look at the results.
Sadly we are light years away from them- both on & off the pitch.

I think the difference, though, is that no matter how much is invested into our team, we’ll never get 8,000 season ticket sales unless we’re in The Premiership. Lincoln has pretty much never had success before, so the city has gone football crazy. Grimsby has ALWAYS been a football crazy town, but loads of us remember pretty good times from the 90’s and earlier, making League 2 football only palatable to around 4,000 of us. I’m not sure how we could replicate what Lincoln have done really, other than get that stadium built. I think that’s the only way.

Mind you, you could possibly link Lincoln’s success stemming purely from their FA Cup run - maybe THAT’S what we need?

As a bare minimum, giving the manager a Top 7 budget has to be a prerequisite.
Posted by: sydney, April 13, 2019, 7:27pm; Reply: 17
They still have little class
Posted by: Abdul19, April 13, 2019, 7:29pm; Reply: 18
If Grimsby was such a football crazy town, why can I remember gates of 4k in the second tier?
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 13, 2019, 7:40pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Abdul19
If Grimsby was such a football crazy town, why can I remember gates of 4k in the second tier?

I did say ‘football’ crazy, not necessarily Grimsby Town crazy.
Posted by: SalsaE70, April 13, 2019, 8:40pm; Reply: 20
We’re already planning for life in L1.... know we will need at least another £1m to just get more quality players in....🔴⚪️🔴⚪️
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, April 13, 2019, 8:43pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from SalsaE70
We’re already planning for life in L1.... know we will need at least another £1m to just get more quality players in....🔴⚪️🔴⚪️

Well done to your PE teachers...but route 1 football doesn't work in league 1..see you next season. ...w@nker.
Posted by: SalsaE70, April 13, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 22
Yawn.... it’s so not route1 ... it’s getting boring now.... ask Bury, MK Dons, Mansfield.... by the way hope Whitehouse gets back to full fitness, you’ll need another 10 like him to go up 👌🔴⚪️
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, April 13, 2019, 8:52pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from SalsaE70
Yawn.... it’s so not route1 ... it’s getting boring now.... ask Bury, MK Dons, Mansfield.... by the way hope Whitehouse gets back to full fitness, you’ll need another 10 like him to go up 👌🔴⚪️

One good thing, we haven't got to watch your shower of shite style of football next season...enjoy getting your @rses kicked week in week out.  Now go play on your play station and tug yourself senseless.....goodbye and f@ CK off
Posted by: speedy, April 13, 2019, 8:59pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

One good thing, we haven't got to watch your shower of shite style of football next season...enjoy getting your @rses kicked week in week out.  Now go play on your play station and tug yourself senseless.....goodbye and f@ CK off

Do you actually think they will get there butts kicked every week? i imagine they will continue investing as their owners seem to have a clue. I hate to say it but i think they COULD be promoted again within 3 years.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, April 13, 2019, 9:12pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from speedy

Do you actually think they will get there butts kicked every week? i imagine they will continue investing as their owners seem to have a clue. I hate to say it but i think they COULD be promoted again within 3 years.

I really give 2 f@cks what they do tbh . Just can't be doing with gimp dickheads coming on our forum.
Posted by: Helgy, April 13, 2019, 9:16pm; Reply: 26
Investment helps but it’s been more than that.
Danny and Nicky have been revolutionary , spoke to Nicky after the game about how far we have come from being tinpot to now being a properly run club.
5 years ago we faced relegation to the conference North now it’s L1.

Best of luck next season keep the faith , we may be rivals but your a proper old football  club.

Posted by: oochiad, April 13, 2019, 9:26pm; Reply: 27
I’m really hoping no Imps will come on our forum anymore.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, April 13, 2019, 9:32pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Helgy
Danny and Nicky have been revolutionary , spoke to Nicky after the game about how far we have come from being tinpot to now being a properly run club.

Best of luck next season keep the faith , we may be rivals but your a proper old football  club.

Helgy, you at least have some decorum, we'll do what we do best which is supporting our club through  thick  n thin.  To you I sat good luck and I hope our clubs cross swords again...but I always despise your management for their touchline antics which is a shame when they do so much for your community

Posted by: kevikov, April 13, 2019, 10:27pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Helgy

More and more its becoming clear that we'll die a proper old football club. I love our history and our past achievements, but footballs changed, money, and forward, innovate, progressive thinking works now, not inward, regressive, living in the past thinking.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 13, 2019, 11:52pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Helgy

👍
Posted by: fishboyUTM, April 14, 2019, 12:32am; Reply: 31
Well deserved promotion. Good luck to them. Let's hope Scunts come down and we can have a proper derby.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 14, 2019, 4:51am; Reply: 32
Some on here are going to have to go out and buy some more tissue tomorrow.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 14, 2019, 5:03am; Reply: 33
I've got no problems with Lincoln and their rise up the leagues. It's what all clubs at our level aspire to, otherwise what's the point of competing? They have done an excellent job of it and capitalised on their promotion from non league, coupled with their remarkable cup run, to keep the momentum going in an upward curve. They have invested very wisely in the team and infrastructure.

Success breeds success, and fans will always buy into that. Lincoln is also a city on the up, so it's been a perfect storm for them in attracting back the lapsed fans, and picking up many new ones along the way. It may last, it may not, but good luck to them all the same. I think they have the means, and the will, to cope easily in League 1. Their management will inevitably be attracting attention from bigger clubs, and will no doubt be lured away at some point, so it will be the next choice of management that will be crucial for them.

I've personally never seen Lincoln as a local rival in the same way as Scunny, but then that is due to my generation. I'd much rather we were playing Scunny next season myself, and the best games i have been to in recent seasons were the two against them in the cup. It's the only time it has felt like the old days at BP in a very long time. The atmosphere against the Imps has been decent, but it was crackling against Scunny. I'm praying they replace Lincoln in League 2 next season.
Posted by: Ashby mariner, April 14, 2019, 6:49am; Reply: 34
Good luck to them. Just a shame I can never see us being in a position to be favourites for promotion to league 1.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 14, 2019, 6:54am; Reply: 35
Agree Scunny is and always as been our closest and fiercest rivals.

Apart from the idiots coming on here from Lincoln rubbing it in the club it's self as come a long way from the bucket rattling days on the brink of oblivion.

Lincoln F.C. today is a blueprint of how to get it right on and off the pitch and through this success have taped into the potential of the city trebling it's fan base.

Bournemouth did the same look were they are since losing to us in 98.

Posted by: Abdul19, April 14, 2019, 7:23am; Reply: 36
98's irrelevant, they were in division 4 with us in 2010! If only oligarch Ivan Fentski had got on board.
Posted by: Rick12, April 14, 2019, 7:34am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
Nice to see a local side do well

Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 14, 2019, 7:37am; Reply: 38
Quoted from Abdul19
98's irrelevant, they were in division 4 with us in 2010! If only oligarch Ivan Fentski had got on board.

Point taken

(thumbup)
Posted by: Helgy, April 14, 2019, 2:32pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from ginnywings
I've got no problems with Lincoln and their rise up the leagues. It's what all clubs at our level aspire to, otherwise what's the point of competing? They have done an excellent job of it and capitalised on their promotion from non league, coupled with their remarkable cup run, to keep the momentum going in an upward curve. They have invested very wisely in the team and infrastructure.

Success breeds success, and fans will always buy into that. Lincoln is also a city on the up, so it's been a perfect storm for them in attracting back the lapsed fans, and picking up many new ones along the way. It may last, it may not, but good luck to them all the same. I think they have the means, and the will, to cope easily in League 1. Their management will inevitably be attracting attention from bigger clubs, and will no doubt be lured away at some point, so it will be the next choice of management that will be crucial for them.

I've personally never seen Lincoln as a local rival in the same way as Scunny, but then that is due to my generation. I'd much rather we were playing Scunny next season myself, and the best games i have been to in recent seasons were the two against them in the cup. It's the only time it has felt like the old days at BP in a very long time. The atmosphere against the Imps has been decent, but it was crackling against Scunny. I'm praying they replace Lincoln in League 2 next season.

Scunny look to be in freefall so you might just get your wish.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, April 15, 2019, 8:21am; Reply: 40
Yep well done Imps a Club that`s got it right on and off the field and it`s the model for Clubs in League 2 to aspire to be like. I think for what it`s worth they will do well in League 1 if the Cowleys remain and until becoming joined at the hip 15 years ago I never really considered Lincoln rivals so bear no anomisity towards them.Scunny on the other hand :)
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, April 15, 2019, 11:41am; Reply: 41
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Yep well done Imps a Club that`s got it right on and off the field and it`s the model for Clubs in League 2 to aspire to be like. I think for what it`s worth they will do well in League 1 if the Cowleys remain and until becoming joined at the hip 15 years ago I never really considered Lincoln rivals so bear no anomisity towards them.Scunny on the other hand :)

I know some of your fans don't view as us the 'Local derby', but who have Grimsby spent the most time in the league with over the last say, 50 years?

If we use ,

Lincoln, Hull, Scunthorpe?.
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, April 15, 2019, 11:43am; Reply: 42
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I think we will need to spend some serious money - There are some big teams in that league, Ipswich, Charlton, Portsmouth and so on..
Posted by: SalsaE70, April 15, 2019, 12:21pm; Reply: 43
Agree.. Chairman has already said we will need to find at least a further £1m... you know? Think we’ll get it too..... onwards and upwards
Posted by: SalsaE70, April 15, 2019, 12:31pm; Reply: 44
When the C’s arrived up at The Bank... it was a gamble. Handing full time contracts to 2 PE teachers but the gamble paid off, thankfully. What most of us fans didn’t realise just how passionate, professional and focussed they’d guys were going to be!
I agree they might leave us at some point. Unlike Hurst and a few others it will be when they feel they can no longer take this club further. They have bought into the journey like all of us and will want to achieve as much as possible with us. I also agree that the next manager/s we recruit need to keep us on the up ....
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 15, 2019, 12:41pm; Reply: 45
If Lincoln was 200 miles down the road I think we would be unanimous in applauding their turnaround in fortunes.

Probably me living in the past but I don't see Lincoln as a rival.  They never have been one really.  They're just local to us.  There's no historical rivalry, what has emerged in the last 8-10 years feels fabricated.  

I don't enjoy their style of play, I think Danny Cowley is an arrogant and detestable character, but he's brought them success beyond their wildest dreams.  Their boardroom has pulled a club back from the brink to heights they've never experienced before.  It doesn't matter how much we try to look down on them, we're envious because we don't have a pot to urine in at the minute and even if we did find a pot, the current owner would confiscate it.

Good luck to them.  Rather see a club turn things around and make a success of it than some hobby club like Salford rattle through the leagues.  I doubt how far Lincoln can go and just how dependent they are on the Cowley's (who I still maintain will jump ship as soon as the going gets tough).  Equally so, as I've said before, what happens when they hit a bad run?  It's 3 consecutive years of success and improvement for Lincoln and their new fanbase.  How will they react to a five-game losing streak compounded by a 4-0 hammering at home on a wet and cold November evening?  Time will tell but League One is totally different to League Two, absolute worlds apart.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, April 15, 2019, 12:44pm; Reply: 46

I know some of your fans don't view as us the 'Local derby', but who have Grimsby spent the most time in the league with over the last say, 50 years?

If we use ,

From 1971 through to 1996 we were in Humberside and so we're Scunthorpe and Hull, Lincoln however have always been in Lincolnshire, so there's one reason that in recent history our "local" rivals were in the same county and on top of that are geographically closer to us than Lincoln...The true rivalry between ourselves and yourselves has only really grown in the last 15 years and definitely intensified when we tried to get out of that God forsaken conference..
To me, and I would expect the majority of town fans, a local derby is between 2 teams that are the closest geographically ie Scunthorpe/Hull whereas local rivals are a team that are competing at the same level as you...ie Lincoln..
Posted by: Bigdog, April 15, 2019, 1:32pm; Reply: 47

If we use ,

Prior to the present administration..

At a guess, I'd say

Sheff Wed
Barnsley
Bradford
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 15, 2019, 1:33pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from SalsaE70
When the C’s arrived up at The Bank... it was a gamble. Handing full time contracts to 2 PE teachers but the gamble paid off, thankfully. What most of us fans didn’t realise just how passionate, professional and focussed they’d guys were going to be!
I agree they might leave us at some point. Unlike Hurst and a few others it will be when they feel they can no longer take this club further. They have bought into the journey like all of us and will want to achieve as much as possible with us. I also agree that the next manager/s we recruit need to keep us on the up ....

Passionate, yes
Focussed, yes

Professional? no, couldn't be further away mate
Posted by: Helgy, April 15, 2019, 2:50pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Passionate, yes
Focussed, yes

They are very professional had that insight into it with my involvement over the past few years.
They have changed the place completely gone from being tinpot to run as a proper club.
That is down to them when they 1st came to the club they instructed the staff into the Cowley way.
Clubs are starting to look at what we have done and want to replicate it.

Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, April 15, 2019, 3:54pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

From 1971 through to 1996 we were in Humberside and so we're Scunthorpe and Hull, Lincoln however have always been in Lincolnshire, so there's one reason that in recent history our "local" rivals were in the same county and on top of that are geographically closer to us than Lincoln...The true rivalry between ourselves and yourselves has only really grown in the last 15 years and definitely intensified when we tried to get out of that God forsaken conference..
To me, and I would expect the majority of town fans, a local derby is between 2 teams that are the closest geographically ie Scunthorpe/Hull whereas local rivals are a team that are competing at the same level as you...ie Lincoln..

So many years have you and Hull for example competed against each other in say the last 50/60 years?
Posted by: RoboCod, April 15, 2019, 3:56pm; Reply: 51
Depends what you mean with professional. Thye've pi**ed a lot of people off with their ways, made more enemies than friends but no doubt they'll say it was all worth it as a means to an end to get promotion.
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, April 15, 2019, 3:56pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Passionate, yes
Focussed, yes

Don't be ridiculous - To achieve what we have done in the last 3 years takes a lot of professionalism - I don't see many ex-players moan , all I see is they praise their meticulous nature to detail etc.

Posted by: Fishbone, April 15, 2019, 4:39pm; Reply: 53
I have to agree. Well done Lincoln. They've had a plan on and off the pitch and they've achieved it. I have to admit to being envious but I'm actually quite happy for a team from the county/area doing well. Sorry! The city itself seems to be doing pretty well in a period of relative stagnation. I hope it leads to a similar plan for us (town and club) but can't really see it in the short term. I think if you look at the stats, we've played Lincoln more than our other 'neighbours' over the years and I'd love to think we'd be joining them in League 1 the season after next but with the iterative, fire fighting strategy we seem to consistently employ and the 17th highest squad investment in the league, I'm not holding my breath. I really hope I'm wrong though!
Posted by: Perkins, April 15, 2019, 4:49pm; Reply: 54
This is turning into a discussion  board amongst Lincoln fans.  No doubt they have realised its a more balanced fans forum than their own.
Posted by: psgmariner, April 15, 2019, 6:19pm; Reply: 55
Good luck to them. Fenty should be begging them for a meeting on how they got so much right.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 15, 2019, 6:40pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from psgmariner
Good luck to them. Fenty should be begging them for a meeting on how they got so much right.

Lincoln owe us some advice after Fenty advised them on how to avoid relegation.
Posted by: psgmariner, April 15, 2019, 7:41pm; Reply: 57
Ha! Forgot about that.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, April 16, 2019, 8:21am; Reply: 58

If we use ,

Growing up to be fair the local derbies were usually Barnsley,Sheff Utd we had only odd Seasons where our paths crossed with Lincoln,Scunny or Hull . Hull where always regarded no 1 enemy in the 80s regardless then Scunny and Lincoln was just a nice to have . I would guess anyone from Grimsby who is under 30 and follows GTFC will have it hugely different and arguably Lincoln would be their No 1. Thanks to Sky Tv that`s not reallly an issue though mate were mostly all well over 40 and grumpy as fcuk and still have a hatred for anything the other end of the 180 or across the Humber ;D
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, April 16, 2019, 9:50am; Reply: 59
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Growing up to be fair the local derbies were usually Barnsley,Sheff Utd we had only odd Seasons where our paths crossed with Lincoln,Scunny or Hull . Hull where always regarded no 1 enemy in the 80s regardless then Scunny and Lincoln was just a nice to have . I would guess anyone from Grimsby who is under 30 and follows GTFC will have it hugely different and arguably Lincoln would be their No 1. Thanks to Sky Tv that`s not reallly an issue though mate were mostly all well over 40 and grumpy as fcuk and still have a hatred for anything the other end of the 180 or across the Humber ;D

I'm proud to be one of those grumpy bstards! I can't work up much animosity against Lincoln, to be honest, same for Hull. Scunthorpe, however - I detest them as much as I love GTFC. I hate everything about them. The nickname, the badge, the kit. All of it. Why so bitter? Could be due to the fact that my folks moved there and I was the only GTFC fan in my school in the late 70s early 80s... Happy days!
Posted by: Helgy, April 16, 2019, 12:08pm; Reply: 60
Perkins
This is turning into a discussion  board amongst Lincoln fans.  No doubt they have realised its a more balanced fans forum than their own.

Don’t mind posting on here but I don’t post on vital
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 16, 2019, 1:29pm; Reply: 61
As I have said before "rivallry" all goes back to when you first started going regularly. I first started going regularly in the lat 70's, early 80's and it's true that back then, the 2 Sheffield clubs, Barnsley and even to a certain extent Leeds were seen as our main rivals, even though I'm sure that fans of those club would not have classed us as their rivals.

Hull is a funny one as although they are the nearest club geographically to us, we've only ever played them in a competitive fixture a handful of times over the years. We were always above them until our decline corresponded with their rise and as we were going down the league they were going up.

Scunthorpe then became our main rivals I would say until their success but I don't think that anyone can deny that for the past 10-15 years it has been Lincoln who we've had the biggest rivallry with as we've  played them far more times than the other clubs previously mentioned.

Me personally have never really had a problem with Lincoln. I even went to watch them a couple of times in their first spell in the conference when we didn't have a game, when Batchy and Bobby C were playing for them.

Anyway, maybe (hopefully)  next season we'll renew our rivallry with the Scunts again.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 16, 2019, 5:35pm; Reply: 62

I'm proud to be one of those grumpy bstards! I can't work up much animosity against Lincoln, to be honest, same for Hull. Scunthorpe, however - I detest them as much as I love GTFC. I hate everything about them. The nickname, the badge, the kit. All of it. Why so bitter? Could be due to the fact that my folks moved there and I was the only GTFC fan in my school in the late 70s early 80s... Happy days!

Same here spent my school years from 70-80 in Scunny, which Comp did you go to I was at Thomas Sumpter (They knocked it down a few years ago)
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, April 16, 2019, 9:56pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Same here spent my school years from 70-80 in Scunny, which Comp did you go to I was at Thomas Sumpter (They knocked it down a few years ago)

Fred Gough. They knocked one of them down too but the main one’s still there.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 8:49pm