Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I have to say it....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 129 Guests

I have to say it....

This thread currently has 11,675 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
April 15, 2019, 8:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,257
Gold Stars: 54
Yep well done Imps a Club that`s got it right on and off the field and it`s the model for Clubs in League 2 to aspire to be like. I think for what it`s worth they will do well in League 1 if the Cowleys remain and until becoming joined at the hip 15 years ago I never really considered Lincoln rivals so bear no anomisity towards them.Scunny on the other hand
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
nealeardleyscrossing
April 15, 2019, 11:41am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -347
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Yep well done Imps a Club that`s got it right on and off the field and it`s the model for Clubs in League 2 to aspire to be like. I think for what it`s worth they will do well in League 1 if the Cowleys remain and until becoming joined at the hip 15 years ago I never really considered Lincoln rivals so bear no anomisity towards them.Scunny on the other hand

I know some of your fans don't view as us the 'Local derby', but who have Grimsby spent the most time in the league with over the last say, 50 years?

If we use ,

Lincoln, Hull, Scunthorpe?.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
nealeardleyscrossing
April 15, 2019, 11:43am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -347
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I think we will need to spend some serious money - There are some big teams in that league, Ipswich, Charlton, Portsmouth and so on..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
SalsaE70
April 15, 2019, 12:21pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: -90
Gold Stars: 1
Agree.. Chairman has already said we will need to find at least a further £1m... you know? Think we’ll get it too..... onwards and upwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
SalsaE70
April 15, 2019, 12:31pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: -90
Gold Stars: 1
When the C’s arrived up at The Bank... it was a gamble. Handing full time contracts to 2 PE teachers but the gamble paid off, thankfully. What most of us fans didn’t realise just how passionate, professional and focussed they’d guys were going to be!
I agree they might leave us at some point. Unlike Hurst and a few others it will be when they feel they can no longer take this club further. They have bought into the journey like all of us and will want to achieve as much as possible with us. I also agree that the next manager/s we recruit need to keep us on the up ....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
diehardmariner
April 15, 2019, 12:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,063
Gold Stars: 518
If Lincoln was 200 miles down the road I think we would be unanimous in applauding their turnaround in fortunes.

Probably me living in the past but I don't see Lincoln as a rival.  They never have been one really.  They're just local to us.  There's no historical rivalry, what has emerged in the last 8-10 years feels fabricated.  

I don't enjoy their style of play, I think Danny Cowley is an arrogant and detestable character, but he's brought them success beyond their wildest dreams.  Their boardroom has pulled a club back from the brink to heights they've never experienced before.  It doesn't matter how much we try to look down on them, we're envious because we don't have a pot to urine in at the minute and even if we did find a pot, the current owner would confiscate it.

Good luck to them.  Rather see a club turn things around and make a success of it than some hobby club like Salford rattle through the leagues.  I doubt how far Lincoln can go and just how dependent they are on the Cowley's (who I still maintain will jump ship as soon as the going gets tough).  Equally so, as I've said before, what happens when they hit a bad run?  It's 3 consecutive years of success and improvement for Lincoln and their new fanbase.  How will they react to a five-game losing streak compounded by a 4-0 hammering at home on a wet and cold November evening?  Time will tell but League One is totally different to League Two, absolute worlds apart.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
Northbank Mariner
April 15, 2019, 12:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170

I know some of your fans don't view as us the 'Local derby', but who have Grimsby spent the most time in the league with over the last say, 50 years?

If we use ,

From 1971 through to 1996 we were in Humberside and so we're Scunthorpe and Hull, Lincoln however have always been in Lincolnshire, so there's one reason that in recent history our "local" rivals were in the same county and on top of that are geographically closer to us than Lincoln...The true rivalry between ourselves and yourselves has only really grown in the last 15 years and definitely intensified when we tried to get out of that God forsaken conference..
To me, and I would expect the majority of town fans, a local derby is between 2 teams that are the closest geographically ie Scunthorpe/Hull whereas local rivals are a team that are competing at the same level as you...ie Lincoln..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
Bigdog
April 15, 2019, 1:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

If we use ,

Prior to the present administration..

At a guess, I'd say

Sheff Wed
Barnsley
Bradford
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 63
Jarmo.Is.God
April 15, 2019, 1:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from SalsaE70
When the C’s arrived up at The Bank... it was a gamble. Handing full time contracts to 2 PE teachers but the gamble paid off, thankfully. What most of us fans didn’t realise just how passionate, professional and focussed they’d guys were going to be!
I agree they might leave us at some point. Unlike Hurst and a few others it will be when they feel they can no longer take this club further. They have bought into the journey like all of us and will want to achieve as much as possible with us. I also agree that the next manager/s we recruit need to keep us on the up ....

Passionate, yes
Focussed, yes

Professional? no, couldn't be further away mate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
Helgy
April 15, 2019, 2:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Passionate, yes
Focussed, yes

Professional? no, couldn't be further away mate

They are very professional had that insight into it with my involvement over the past few years.
They have changed the place completely gone from being tinpot to run as a proper club.
That is down to them when they 1st came to the club they instructed the staff into the Cowley way.
Clubs are starting to look at what we have done and want to replicate it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I have to say it....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.