HertsGTFC
April 6, 2019, 9:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from The Boys Paddock

always make me laugh, the playing squad under Bignot, its like the chairman didnt know what was going on.

What? When did we appoint a Chairman?

To be fair to the club Bignot assures the board that he’d ship players out if he could bring them in but wasn’t true to his word.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 98
Mariner_09
April 6, 2019, 9:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
McKeown, Ohman, Davis, RHJ, Hendrie, Hess, Clifton and maybe Dennis, Cook and Vernam (as squad players) are good enough to push further up the league. What I've noticed is that when we've sat back and countered we've really lacked quality and that cutting edge we need, so sides aren't especially worried about us hurting them. There is a glaring lack of guile and creativity in our side and set piece delivery has been dire since Pringle left. We're going to need some serious upgrades in midfield and up front if we're to persist with this 3-5-2 and hit them on the break plan. We need pace and quality to scare oppositions and be able to hurt them. I don't think Ring's quite up to it. He gets beaten too easily, his delivery is dreadful and sides often expose the space he vacates when he goes forward. Woolford was great for a few weeks in Jan and Feb but has looked leggy of late, think next year maybe one year too far. I've been saying Whitmore and Cardwell aren't good enough for months now, Cardwell works hard but I could work hard if I was a footballer. Whitmore's just a non-league centre half in every sense of the phrase. I don't know why he moved RHJ from that role on the right of a back 3 when he was causing sides all sorts of problems with his stealth like runs forward. We need someone left-footed, comfortable in possession and mobile left sided centre half next season. We also need a more mobile left wing back who can deliver a cross.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 98
forza ivano
April 6, 2019, 10:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Disagree completely about rhj. As a fellow aylesburian I’d love him to do well but his total inability with the ball means imho that he’s a decent conference/ lower div 2 player. It’s only because he has a bit of pace that he’s almost essential in our squad. Was Zak mills that bad, after all he was released because he didn’t pass the ball well enough?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 98
MuddyWaters
April 6, 2019, 10:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,239
Gold Stars: 235
Don’t agree about Whitmore who has been ok this season and certainly less culpable than Collins and we’ve let better full backs go than Ring and RHJ.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 98
HertsGTFC
April 6, 2019, 10:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from forza ivano
Disagree completely about rhj. As a fellow aylesburian I’d love him to do well but his total inability with the ball means imho that he’s a decent conference/ lower div 2 player. It’s only because he has a bit of pace that he’s almost essential in our squad. Was Zak mills that bad, after all he was released because he didn’t pass the ball well enough?

RHJ is better then Mills and more versatile. Mills could get in some good attacking positions but couldn’t cross a pools coupon or more importantly defend very well.

And if I wanted to be pedantic Mills is a RB and no way better then Hendrie so possibly worth killing the Mills argument as it’s not very pertinent.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 98
louth_in_the_south
April 6, 2019, 10:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,680
Gold Stars: 96
If we’re going to persist with 352 I’d have RHJ in as 1 of the 3 . Get rid of whitmore and Davis and find better . Hendrie rwb and give Ring a chance as he might need a bit longer to settle in yet . Ohman looks like a solid if occasional disaster Cb . Great in the air but a bit of a bambi on the deck . Collins - you can’t knock him . Great career and respect to him for dropping down the leagues when he could’ve packed up early . I laughed at Crawley with his exasperated look a couple of times with his colleagues choices but in reality it’s time for him to hang those boots up .
Easy for us experts saying what should happen but if we actually had to run Gtfc it would be different I suspect.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 98
jamesgtfc
April 6, 2019, 10:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
RHJ has a good leap on him which makes up for his lack of height. He had a good first half today and was causing them problems down the left wing but he went down holding his groin just before half time.

If we persist with 3-5-2 someone like Grayson would be ideal for LCB as he is tall, has a good range of passing and gets up and down.

First half in particular, the formation worked well. They scored from a good counter attack but earlier on Farman pulled off a Macca-esque save. At 1-0 they were slowing the he down at every opportunity but had we drawn first blood the game would have remained open.

I thought Cardwell offered us something today - we haven't competed that well in the air for a long time and with games, an understanding can be developed. 4-3-3 may be a way to go that incorporates Wright and Vernam either side of Cardwell as it can easily become a 4-5-1 to see the game out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 98
forza ivano
April 6, 2019, 10:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from jamesgtfc
RHJ has a good leap on him which makes up for his lack of height. He had a good first half today and was causing them problems down the left wing but he went down holding his groin just before half time.

If we persist with 3-5-2 someone like Grayson would be ideal for LCB as he is tall, has a good range of passing and gets up and down.

First half in particular, the formation worked well. They scored from a good counter attack but earlier on Farman pulled off a Macca-esque save. At 1-0 they were slowing the he down at every opportunity but had we drawn first blood the game would have remained open.

I thought Cardwell offered us something today - we haven't competed that well in the air for a long time and with games, an understanding can be developed. 4-3-3 may be a way to go that incorporates Wright and Vernam either side of Cardwell as it can easily become a 4-5-1 to see the game out.

I agree about Cardwell.i thought he’d bulked out and looked strong he won a number of good headers.just can’t agree about rhj, his passing just isn’t good enough and there have to be better options out there. That doesn’t include Grayson who looked bloody awful
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 98
moosey_club
April 6, 2019, 11:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
If we’re going to persist with 352 I’d have RHJ in as 1 of the 3 . Get rid of whitmore and Davis and find better . Hendrie rwb and give Ring a chance as he might need a bit longer to settle in yet . Ohman looks like a solid if occasional disaster Cb . Great in the air but a bit of a bambi on the deck . Collins - you can’t knock him . Great career and respect to him for dropping down the leagues when he could’ve packed up early . I laughed at Crawley with his exasperated look a couple of times with his colleagues choices but in reality it’s time for him to hang those boots up .
Easy for us experts saying what should happen but if we actually had to run Gtfc it would be different I suspect.

DC is fantastic when attacking the ball....is also pretty calm on the ball under pressure.....trouble is he is now getting caught for pace and in a back three that gets exposed more....he is also playing at a level that must be frustrating for him at times....there were times today, and as you have pointed out, in other games this season where he just gives a withering look to his team mates whom he clearly is expecting to be able to do more...Grayson got a couple of cracking looks from Collins today when he failed to capitalise on a couple of DC lay offs.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 98
RonMariner
April 6, 2019, 11:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,672
Gold Stars: 226
Bottom line is that after a year in charge Jolley is sending out a team getting results on a par with Slade (3 points from 8 games , and no goals for four matches)

That is unacceptable. If this run continues to the end of the season we will have to make a change. On current form we are relegation candidates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In Jolley we trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.