TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 6, 2019, 7:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from lowerfindus
Only one man to blame, John Shelton Fenty.

Get a grip and demand more from the man who has consistently dragged this club down like no other.

The budget set by the board dictates where you finish in the league. Yes you can over achieve with a small budget. Yes you can fail with a large budget.

Overall, your budget will dictate which players you can attract and as shown by the last few managers we dont attract quality players in anything like the numbers required to build a successful team.

A budget is not the only thing to dictate the quality of signings and the way the team subsequently performs. I agree we do not attract quality players but success breeds success. Not only do you get more income when you win, you get players wanting to join a club on the up

If a player sees or hears that the manager is fartarsing about with formations more suited to the Champions League and runs a side that seems incapable of moving the ball in an attacking manner then any player would want extra-silly money to sign up or will go elsewhere. If they see a club with great team spirit and players who know what they are doing on the park then they are more likely to be impressed.

I think money does play a big part in squad building, especially for a club in the back of beyond like Town, but the key is still the bloke who runs the team.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 98
heppy88
April 6, 2019, 7:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from denni266
I suspect he will be given about 8 games in the new season , and if no beter than this season he will be gone

I suspect you will be right Denni. But why wait? Why allow Jolley to spend in the off season only for a new manager to be left with Jolley's signings?

Quoted from lowerfindus
Only one man to blame, John Shelton Fenty.

Nail on the head Lower Findus. Bang on. Most of us know this. Have known this since the non league. But after banging on for years about his failings NOTHING HAS CHANGED and despite rumours and wishful thinking nothing appears will change any time soon.

Unfortunately after the non league years, Bignot, Slade and the build up and disappointment in Jolley the utter failure of this club has taken its toll. Mum and Dad stopped attending 2 months ago despite having season tickets and I have not been to the last three home games (again having a season ticket). Mum and Dad have supported GTFC since the early sixties and I since the mid eighties. But the interest has just drained away. Gone. Never thought I would be in the position where I would be rather at home on a Saturday afternoon. I don’t think my parents will return and I won’t be buying another season ticket in the foreseeable future. Maybe if there is a positive change at the top that interest may return. The club is in my blood. But enough is enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 98
MuddyWaters
April 6, 2019, 7:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

A budget is not the only thing to dictate the quality of signings and the way the team subsequently performs. I agree we do not attract quality players but success breeds success. Not only do you get more income when you win, you get players wanting to join a club on the up

If a player sees or hears that the manager is fartarsing about with formations more suited to the Champions League and runs a side that seems incapable of moving the ball in an attacking manner then any player would want extra-silly money to sign up or will go elsewhere. If they see a club with great team spirit and players who know what they are doing on the park then they are more likely to be impressed.

I think money does play a big part in squad building, especially for a club in the back of beyond like Town, but the key is still the bloke who runs the team.

Agree. Most players and/or their agents will know how GTFC has been run for the past 15 years and you would probably go elsewhere if you were given a choice.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 98
Teestogreen
April 6, 2019, 7:52pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 22
Looks like I'll have to have a look at us next week at Morecambe.
Even Zak Mills scored for them today - remember him being our best player there 2 - 3 years ago.

UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 98
lowerfindus
April 6, 2019, 7:53pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2

Loving the term fartarsing.

I sort of agree to a point, however....

Several successful teams in our league play using the formations we have used this season. We have had spells with both formations that has seen us win games.

During those spells attendances have been up and we have won cup games, both bringing money into the club this season. Wheres that money now??

If players weren't impressed with our cup run and performance at Palace then they are never going to play for us.

Facts are you need to get a few decent players into start with and we have consistently struggled to get those decent players in since back in the league.

Signing a prominent attacking player and midfielder is a must. Then you might be able to work on a few points you make in order to progress.

Bottom line is if the budget doesn't allow you to do that you will be relieving yourself in the wind.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 98
louth_in_the_south
April 6, 2019, 7:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,643
Gold Stars: 94
Very poor end to the season . Although if I’d been offered a lower mid table end position in August without the threat of relegation I’d have took it tbh .
However , considering the position we were in , I’ve got to say the players and management have to take a long hard look at themselves. To roll over like this with 10-15 games left is fooking pathetic and to be quite truthful the majority of them can do one .
I don’t think sacking Jolley and Limbrick would achieve anything but they have to look at the players they’ve got to work with and really make some tough decisions. The majority are just lower L2 / conference standard which is why are are where we are . Fenty has to up the ££ available and MJ has to find better players . It’s that simple .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 98
Mallyner
April 6, 2019, 7:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Teestogreen
Looks like I'll have to have a look at us next week at Morecambe.
Even Zak Mills scored for them today - remember him being our best player there 2 - 3 years ago.

UTM

Hopefully that young guy Ellison won't be playing.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 98
Teestogreen
April 6, 2019, 8:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 22
Remember seeing him playing for us on loan from Leicester City - in the equivalent of the current Championship. He can always hurt us.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 98
HertsGTFC
April 6, 2019, 8:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,870
Gold Stars: 227
Though I am currently really p1ssed off with our current and inconstant form I think in reality we could do a lot worse than Jolley (like Slade or Bignot) but he needs to start learning from his mistakes and take the odd chance or two.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 98
The Boys Paddock
April 6, 2019, 8:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -964
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Though I am currently really p1ssed off with our current and inconstant form I think in reality we could do a lot worse than Jolley (like Slade or Bignot) but he needs to start learning from his mistakes and take the odd chance or two.

Thought we were top half when Bignot was sacked and had just won away at Blackpool?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In Jolley we trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.