Bigdog
April 6, 2019, 11:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
If we’re going to persist with 352 I’d have RHJ in as 1 of the 3 . Get rid of whitmore and Davis and find better . Hendrie rwb and give Ring a chance as he might need a bit longer to settle in yet . Ohman looks like a solid if occasional disaster Cb . Great in the air but a bit of a bambi on the deck . Collins - you can’t knock him . Great career and respect to him for dropping down the leagues when he could’ve packed up early . I laughed at Crawley with his exasperated look a couple of times with his colleagues choices but in reality it’s time for him to hang those boots up .
Easy for us experts saying what should happen but if we actually had to run Gtfc it would be different I suspect.

The best our central defence have played all season was when Davis and Whitmore played as a pair in a back four. Whitmore also played excellently against the top table side on the left hand side of a three and has only played the odd game since then. I find it very hard to judge whether he's good enough or not because of his management and not because of his performances apart from a couple of poor ones. For people to say get rid is extremely harsh on the lad and the same for Davis. Our problems in defence have been down to the manager's selections. How the hell has Collins been our third highest appearance maker this season when it's clear to see his shortcomings and the multitude of mistakes he has made? Earlier in the season.. how did Welsh play ahead of Hess or Clifton, how has Woolford played so many games when we've supposed to be front foot, physical and pacy, why do players find it so easy to leave what Jolley is trying to build, why do we defend so deep under manager's instruction and leave our forwards so isolated, why have we not solved our problem left hand side for two years, why did Cardwell get a contract extension, why persist with the 3-5-2 when it's clear it doesn't suit the squad, why haven't we seen more of Vernam and A Rose over the season when they've both got raw talent that could develop into something special yet stick to journeymen forwards, why are we so disorganised defending set pieces, why are we so predictable in our play? It's all adding up to gross mismanagement and nowhere near the bold claims our manager talked of at the end of last season. Some say it's Fenty's fault and it's not exactly true, it's his ultimate responsibility for the state of the club on and off the pitch, but on the pitch a large percentage of the fault is Jolley's. I didn't like him signing Woolford and Collins over the summer, I didn't like his team selections at the start of the season which betrayed his promises of youth, pace and the high press and then when he did get it right, he reverts back to Collins, and then when it improved again he changes formation because he signs a slow left back from Sweden who's worse than Fox who wasn't good enough for him in that position previously. The whole things a mess with two senior players leaving the club under a cloud before the season's out leaving us with youth on the bench who collectively struggle against reserve teams when they put out an experienced eleven rather than their youthful peers.

I don't trust Jolley at all but prepared to see what he does in the summer transfer window and how the team performs until Xmas (if he can prove to learn from his mistakes and we're not just seeing the best he can be presently) before entrusting him with any more budget.

I don't trust that we'll get anywhere near a competitive budget next season because the club fails miserably year after year to inspire new fans to buy season tickets or attract new inward investment.

And I don't trust the club with the new floodlights, which I guess will make our bodged up ground look more Rag Arsse Rovers than it does at the minute and will inspire prospective players just as much as the portakabins down at Cheapside to sign for us.

Jolley needs to sign at least six starters who are much better than we've got to make a mark on the top half of this division and even then I'm still not sure he's got it in him to get the best out of them.

In Jolley we trust? In Fenty we trust? Who the fook can we trust to deliver entertainment, pride and a little bit of hope?

Our club's a bit of an embarrassing shitshow..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 98
RonMariner
April 6, 2019, 11:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,005
Gold Stars: 216
Meanwhile the Gimps with their much derided ex-PE teacher management go 11 points clear at the top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 98
ska face
April 6, 2019, 11:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,336
Gold Stars: 820
Quoted from RonMariner
Meanwhile the Gimps with their much derided ex-PE teacher management go 11 points clear at the top.

Derided? By who? Don’t think I’ve ever heard the word “Cowley” without it being followed by gushing praise.

You must be thinking of Slade, who definitely is a much-derided ex-teacher.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 98
petethemariner
April 7, 2019, 12:28am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Bigdog

The best our central defence have played all season was when Davis and Whitmore played as a pair in a back four. Whitmore also played excellently against the top table side on the left hand side of a three and has only played the odd game since then. I find it very hard to judge whether he's good enough or not because of his management and not because of his performances apart from a couple of poor ones. For people to say get rid is extremely harsh on the lad and the same for Davis. Our problems in defence have been down to the manager's selections. How the hell has Collins been our third highest appearance maker this season when it's clear to see his shortcomings and the multitude of mistakes he has made? Earlier in the season.. how did Welsh play ahead of Hess or Clifton, how has Woolford played so many games when we've supposed to be front foot, physical and pacy, why do players find it so easy to leave what Jolley is trying to build, why do we defend so deep under manager's instruction and leave our forwards so isolated, why have we not solved our problem left hand side for two years, why did Cardwell get a contract extension, why persist with the 3-5-2 when it's clear it doesn't suit the squad, why haven't we seen more of Vernam and A Rose over the season when they've both got raw talent that could develop into something special yet stick to journeymen forwards, why are we so disorganised defending set pieces, why are we so predictable in our play? It's all adding up to gross mismanagement and nowhere near the bold claims our manager talked of at the end of last season. Some say it's Fenty's fault and it's not exactly true, it's his ultimate responsibility for the state of the club on and off the pitch, but on the pitch a large percentage of the fault is Jolley's. I didn't like him signing Woolford and Collins over the summer, I didn't like his team selections at the start of the season which betrayed his promises of youth, pace and the high press and then when he did get it right, he reverts back to Collins, and then when it improved again he changes formation because he signs a slow left back from Sweden who's worse than Fox who wasn't good enough for him in that position previously. The whole things a mess with two senior players leaving the club under a cloud before the season's out leaving us with youth on the bench who collectively struggle against reserve teams when they put out an experienced eleven rather than their youthful peers.

I don't trust Jolley at all but prepared to see what he does in the summer transfer window and how the team performs until Xmas (if he can prove to learn from his mistakes and we're not just seeing the best he can be presently) before entrusting him with any more budget.

I don't trust that we'll get anywhere near a competitive budget next season because the club fails miserably year after year to inspire new fans to buy season tickets or attract new inward investment.

And I don't trust the club with the new floodlights, which I guess will make our bodged up ground look more Rag Arsse Rovers than it does at the minute and will inspire prospective players just as much as the portakabins down at Cheapside to sign for us.

Jolley needs to sign at least six starters who are much better than we've got to make a mark on the top half of this division and even then I'm still not sure he's got it in him to get the best out of them.

In Jolley we trust? In Fenty we trust? Who the fook can we trust to deliver entertainment, pride and a little bit of hope?
!

Could not agree more,  post of the season  IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 98
arryarryarry
April 7, 2019, 5:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
I don't trust anyone who brings Woolford on as a substitute expecting him to change a game.

As for the rest the more I see the more I think most of the squad are not good enough, the midfield were hopeless today, as for the central defenders, I don't think any of them are that good, hopefully Ohman will get used to playing in the EFL and be a really good player for us.

Heard today that there were several players in the dressing room bust up last week so I'm wondering if MJ has lost some of the dressing room.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 98
Northbank Mariner
April 7, 2019, 6:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,390
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Bigdog

Give this man a medal!!...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 98
MuddyWaters
April 7, 2019, 7:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Bigdog

The root of the problem remains, doesn't he?  
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 98
Ipswin
April 7, 2019, 8:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
. Fenty has to up the ££ available and MJ has to find better players . It’s that simple .

Blaming Fenty (as usual) for not investing in better players is one thing but the manager has to be able to use those players to the limits of their abilities (be it the current lower Div 4 bunch or a world class group) by employing the right tactics

If Jolley had Man City's squad could he do anything with them?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 98
MuddyWaters
April 7, 2019, 8:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Ipswin

Blaming Fenty (as usual) for not investing in better players is one thing but the manager has to be able to use those players to the limits of their abilities (be it the current lower Div 4 bunch or a world class group) by employing the right tactics

If Jolley had Man City's squad could he do anything with them?

Jolley is just another statistic on the merry go round of managers that Fenty has appointed. Every one of them has struggled to cope with the dichotomy of the fans expectations versus the owners investment and until genuine and competitive funding is in place, nothing will change.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 98
golfer
April 7, 2019, 9:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
In the last couple of years we have let good players go without seemingly any effort to keep them and either signed crapp or given 2 year contracts or extensions to shite that were already here. Do we have players on the radar or will we be relying on the last minute left over shite as usual. Whatever we do whether it be players.managers,or tactics or results seems to be down to "pot luck" As usual before the next match most of us will be crossing our fingers or pulling on the wishbone hoping for a decent result. Surely it shouldn't be like this-with the support that we give we deserve better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In Jolley we trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.