8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
March 26, 2019, 9:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
At last, we are playing the correct way. God, it has taken decades, but the penny has finally dropped.

One game that springs to mind in recent years was a game versus Italy in a competitive game. We spent the entire 90, then 120 minutes giving the ball back to them and had no conception whatsoever of how to keep the ball and keep starting new moves from deep to wear the opposition down.

The contrast between then and now is stark; we are at last able to compete on the international stage. The players are probably no better than we have always had, but they are playing the way international football should and needs to be played and enormous credit should be given to the manager for that.  
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 77
KingstonMariner
March 28, 2019, 12:53am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
At last, we are playing the correct way. God, it has taken decades, but the penny has finally dropped.

One game that springs to mind in recent years was a game versus Italy in a competitive game. We spent the entire 90, then 120 minutes giving the ball back to them and had no conception whatsoever of how to keep the ball and keep starting new moves from deep to wear the opposition down.

The contrast between then and now is stark; we are at last able to compete on the international stage. The players are probably no better than we have always had, but they are playing the way international football should and needs to be played and enormous credit should be given to the manager for that.  

I'd agree with that.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 77
Heisenberg
March 28, 2019, 11:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93

EURO 2012 QF, an absolute horror show, explained well by your good self. I remember John Terry holding us together, but other than that we were horrendous. As you say, we could do nothing with the ball, and Pirlo, whilst not playing that well, still made our midfield look like school kids. Awful stuff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 77
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 29, 2019, 10:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

The biggest difference is the change in the players. This is what has affected the way England plays. It is a much younger set up now the old guard has gone. Here are athletic players with pace and many of them have “grown up” together in the junior sides so they have instant team spirit. They are also so far undistracted by the media publishing photos of them in clubs, bent supercars or using illegal substances or whatever.

When you look at the junior sides as well, the composition is different. Yes there is good coaching but we have often had that for Young England. Peter Taylor did a brilliant job with the golden generation but it was wasted. The current trend shows a lot of working class black players coming into the game and coaches actually trying to use their natural athleticism. Previously coaches seemed to want black players to play like white players, Viv Anderson, Carlton Palmer, the Fashanus etc were black versions of the white player they might have replaced. Only a few had their talents really used, perhaps Cyrille Regis and Laurie Cunningham at WBA? Now we see pace and power being utilised and methods changed to get the most from them.

Southgate was in on the ground floor of this so he is just continuing the process. The players know him, many are young and impressionable. With him they are like kids on a summer camp with their teacher. The test for him will come when big decisions need to be made during KO games and if some of these lads with talent develop independent attitudes that are maybe not so good for team spirit as they get a bit older. In the meantime perhaps we should just enjoy the ride and see what happens.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 77
1mickylyons
March 29, 2019, 11:06am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Southgate is a massive breath of fresh air.Many including me thought when he was appointed it was to continue with the nodding dog Manager in office. Nothing could be farther from the truth and his coolness under pressure is a massive thing especially with Tournament football. Roy Hodgson with his vast experience completely floundered when he had the opportunity. I genuinely think England are looking likely to win a tournament in the next 4 years and in my opinion at this moment in time were 2nd only to France.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 77
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 29, 2019, 12:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
You could be right Micky, I do hope so. The only thing is that same argument - it was a weak World Cup group and a great draw but we still failed to win the games that mattered or get to the final, fresh air or stale air. The Euros may give us a bit more of a clue.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 77
psgmariner
March 29, 2019, 1:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Southgate is a massive breath of fresh air.Many including me thought when he was appointed it was to continue with the nodding dog Manager in office. Nothing could be farther from the truth and his coolness under pressure is a massive thing especially with Tournament football. Roy Hodgson with his vast experience completely floundered when he had the opportunity. I genuinely think England are looking likely to win a tournament in the next 4 years and in my opinion at this moment in time were 2nd only to France.

Hold my hands up as someone who was gutted when Southgate got the job. Thought he would be gone in a year and back managing in the Championship. Happy I was completely wrong. As well as the results he is getting, I think it's clear he's actually a sound bloke and is a good ambassador for our country.

The England football teams (mens, youth and women) all seem to be absolutely flying at the moment. Well done to the FA - they often get hammered when stuff goes wrong but there is loads being done right at the moment.

Private Message
Reply: 76 - 77
MarinerBen
March 29, 2019, 2:49pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Surely we're 4th best as that's where we placed in the World Cup! Belgium beat us twice in the same tournament...

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 77 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.