8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
March 26, 2019, 11:10am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
It's a shame Hudson-Odoi (less letters!) didn't get his move to Bayern a couple of months ago.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 77
Abdul19
March 26, 2019, 11:13am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from Ipswin
Let's wait and see how they get on in the Nations League semi against the Dutch in June first.

Hopefully the same as the Germans did the other night.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 77
Jarmo.Is.God
March 26, 2019, 11:16am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
thank you to the guy who got Allardyce in trouble!

Southgate is a breath of fresh air, love the guy, and love the job he is doing.

Sterling is world class, and still showing everyone how its done, despite all the stick he has got in the past year, well done that guy!

Kane is a proper number 9, scores for fun.

Sancho & Hudson-odoi both young and look very exciting

This weekend has been class IMO, and this is without Rashford...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 77
Bigdog
March 26, 2019, 11:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Maringer
Nothing wrong with being critical of the things which weren't done correctly even if a lot of goals have been scored. You would expect that Southgate and his coaching team would be saying the same thing with the view to cutting out the mistakes.

It's all very well giving relative minnows a drubbing without playing particularly well, but you need to aim to to get into the habit of performances with as few errors as possible because the better teams won't let you off the hook if you cough up possession cheaply time and again.

I think we've got some decent enough defenders (when on form), some good young attackers, so the key area is getting the midfield sorted out to make us into real contenders for trophies.

I think Barkley has probably done enough to get a place in the team in the last two games and you can't complain about much of his play. He certainly has the ability as well as the physique and it is good to see him actually getting some game time at Chelsea after disappearing off the map for a year due to injury. On the other hand, Dier is one I wouldn't want to see in midfield as he's just a little too cumbersome but I do think he could certainly be a capable central defender. I'm not fully convinced by Keane or Tarkowski at the back - they remind me too much of Cahill who was never quite up to it at international level. However, if Dier isn't playing at the back for his club, he shouldn't be playing there for England.

Henderson is a decent player, just not one who can quite hack it at the top international level - in my opinion, of course. He's now won 50 caps for England (many against 'minnows') but has yet to score. Even though he plays a relatively defensive midfield role, this isn't a good return and he's only scored a couple of goals in European competition as well. I'd say he's similar to Milner - he'll always put in a shift, show one or two good bits of play and make few errors, but it's not quite enough to make him a high-level international player. That said, I think he's probably worth his place at present as we don't really have anyone much better to play, but I think we'll need more in the longer term.

Edit:  Forgot to say, I agree that it is almost unbelievable the degree that Sterling has improved. For many years, he never looked as though he would score goals regularly but he's developed into a really good finisher. A surprise, as I have always thought good finishing wasn't something which could be 'learned', being more of a temperament. It has turned him into a really good player and it was noticeable that he didn't chuck himself to the ground in his old manner in either of the recent games.

Jordan Henderson is vastly underrated by some. An engine as good as any, reads the game well, extremely quick to close players down, wins more than his fair share of tackles, rarely out of position, keeps the midfield balanced and pops up with the odd assist or defence-splitting pass, what's not to like as a foil for the attacking 4/5? I wouldn't imagine his goalscoring record is considered in the slightest by Southgate or Klopp..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 77
grimsby pete
March 26, 2019, 11:25am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
The team has not convinced a few on here,

BUT

10 Goals in 2 games when you are playing average tells me we have a team to be proud of,

These players will only get better so hopeful we will win something,

Its been a long time since 1966.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 77
mimma
March 26, 2019, 11:37am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
We're unbeaten in 41 WC and Euro qualifying games, winning 32 of them. No other team has a record even remotely like that including Germany France etc. Yet people still say wait till we come up against the better teams. What more can England do? Perhaps give the Spanish a two goal lead in their own back yard and still win?

We are now playing champagne football and scoring for fun with a very young team that can only get better. The critism is unwarranted. Enjoy the ride.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 77
KingstonMariner
March 26, 2019, 2:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from mimma
We're unbeaten in 41 WC and Euro qualifying games, winning 32 of them. No other team has a record even remotely like that including Germany France etc. Yet people still say wait till we come up against the better teams. What more can England do? Perhaps give the Spanish a two goal lead in their own back yard and still win?

We are now playing champagne football and scoring for fun with a very young team that can only get better. The critism is unwarranted. Enjoy the ride.

Beat more of the better teams. Spain are not the force they were. We couldn't even beat Croatia. We lot twice against Belgium.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 77
mimma
March 26, 2019, 5:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
Thought we did beat Croatia at Wembley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 77
Rodley Mariner
March 26, 2019, 6:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
I thought we probably over-achieved at the world cup but we've progressed a lot since then. Given the age of the squad it seems a fair assumption that improvement will continue. If anybody can't take pleasure from watching England at the moment then it's probably time to stop watching them.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 77
Ipswin
March 26, 2019, 6:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from mimma
Thought we did beat Croatia at Wembley

Perhaps he should have added 'when it mattered'

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.