Ipswin
March 26, 2019, 6:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I thought we probably over-achieved at the world cup but we've progressed a lot since then. Given the age of the squad it seems a fair assumption that improvement will continue. If anybody can't take pleasure from watching England at the moment then it's probably time to stop watching them.

I am currently taking great pleasure from watching England mainly because they are scoring lots of goals against no hopers, something which they often failed to do

I just don't want to get all carried away in the 'over the top rose tinted specs' thing that happened at the World Cup where, Colombia excepted we beat no one, and the golden boot winner was just the king of the penalties.

I want to see how our defence copes against the Dutch in June which is our next meaningful match and how prolific our super strike force is against a side rated above 50th in the world

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 77
tanga_the_indestructible
March 26, 2019, 6:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Ipswin

I am currently taking great pleasure from watching England mainly because they are scoring lots of goals against no hopers, something which they often failed to do

I just don't want to get all carried away in the 'over the top rose tinted specs' thing that happened at the World Cup where, Colombia excepted we beat no one, and the golden boot winner was just the king of the penalties.

I want to see how our defence copes against the Dutch in June which is our next meaningful match and how prolific our super strike force is against a side rated above 50th in the world

What you mean like when we beat Spain away recently? Or Holland this time last year? I don't think anyone's getting over-excited because we've all been there before, but seeing the national team play with freedom and flair is a good thing, surely, and we haven't seen too much of it in the last 20 years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 77
Heisenberg
March 26, 2019, 7:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Ipswin

Perhaps he should have added 'when it mattered'

My God, you are an insufferable bore. You simply cannot let anyone of here give a positive opinion regarding anything.

Other than maybe France and Belgium, I’d say we’re currently the next best team out there, and improving. I have absolutely no doubt that when we win the Nations League final, you’ll simply dismiss it as a Mickey Mouse tournament not worth entering anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 77
Ipswin
March 26, 2019, 7:01pm
Vodka Drinker

What you mean like when we beat Spain away recently? Or Holland this time last year? I don't think anyone's getting over-excited because we've all been there before, but seeing the national team play with freedom and flair is a good thing, surely, and we haven't seen too much of it in the last 20 years.

Grimsby Town could have beaten Holland this time last year FFS and Spain haven't been the same since the Dutch did them 5-1 in 2010, yes they're good sides compared to Montenegro et al but folk are getting all excited on the back of 10 goals in two games and those games (and goals) are not a true reflection of where we are.

As I said before seeing England actually stuff, rather than misfire against, lesser sides is most enjoyable, long may it continue.

Private Message
Reply: 63 - 77
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 26, 2019, 8:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Heisenberg

My God, you are an insufferable bore. You simply cannot let anyone of here give a positive opinion regarding anything.

Other than maybe France and Belgium, I’d say we’re currently the next best team out there, and improving. I have absolutely no doubt that when we win the Nations League final, you’ll simply dismiss it as a Mickey Mouse tournament not worth entering anyway.

If he does say that I would have to agree. It is just a manufactured tournament to give some sort of point to international fixtures between the major ones. Nice morale booster to win but not something that shows the true status of a side.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 77
mimma
March 26, 2019, 8:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Back to the game, it was a refreshing change for England to play in their traditional strip instead of wearing a fashion statement.

I'm  surprised we didn't  play in all blue because our red away strip would have clashed with their red strip.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 77
Ipswin
March 26, 2019, 8:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

You don't think the game we lost against Croatia in the WC was more important than the one when we beat them in the Nations League?

People can give as many positive opinions as they like, it doesn't mean I have to agree with them or that they are right. Putting five past a couple of lower ranked sides means nowt other than being entertaining. It's promising I grant you, we normally struggle against the crap sides we should be beating easily, but those type of sides won't be in WC quarters or semis. There are a lot more than just Fance and Belgium ahead of us at the moment

Private Message
Reply: 66 - 77
The Boys Paddock
March 26, 2019, 8:50pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -964
Plenty of optimism about, and rightly so.  The squad has a lot of depth to it, 2/3 players per many positions. Ive rated Keane for some time at center half, never understood why United let him go, as no one there since or now is better.  

Think we are retaining possession much better than we used to, passing for the most part is very neat. tidy and incisive when needed. Still a bit of sloppiness about the 2 full backs, but side should do very very well in the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 77
KingstonMariner
March 26, 2019, 8:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from mimma
Thought we did beat Croatia at Wembley

I'm talking about the World Cup. That little tournament.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 77
KingstonMariner
March 26, 2019, 9:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Ipswin

You don't think the game we lost against Croatia in the WC was more important than the one when we beat them in the Nations League?

People can give as many positive opinions as they like, it doesn't mean I have to agree with them or that they are right. Putting five past a couple of lower ranked sides means nowt other than being entertaining. It's promising I grant you, we normally struggle against the crap sides we should be beating easily, but those type of sides won't be in WC quarters or semis. There are a lot more than just Fance and Belgium ahead of us at the moment

Dear me Swin. You're not allowed to pont out that England have failings you know. Now repeat after me:

England are world beaters
The cheques in the post
I won't c... in your m...h

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.