9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
January 6, 2019, 11:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I don't get this 'early in the game' thing. I felt for Fox but he lunged in high and late and caught Townsend nearer the knee than the floor. If that catches him square and his foot is planted it's the sort of challenge that breaks legs. Is that okay as it's 2 minutes in? If so what's the cut off? Ten minutes in? So a yellow in the first 9 mins and 59 seconds but after that the game has settled so it's a red?

I thought we were heroic yesterday. Constantly blaming Atkinson and VAR risks distracting from that if we're not careful.

Just like to point out that I'm not blaming anyone for the defeat, we did very well and I was actually a little unsure of what a replay may do to our squad as we try to climb the table, I'd rather we stay fresh for that. The result is irrelevant for me re the VAR, just the manner in which the red was decided upon.

As for the cut-off point in a game, who knows? It's clear to be seen week in week out, and someone may want to dig out the Brizzle play-off game and see how long into the match we were when the ref kindly decided not to spoil the spectacle and meekly give out a yellow to their keeper for handling outside the box.

It's always been down to the ref on the day and his approach to the game, though under VAR we seem to be sneaking towards the approach of the official in charge of VAR on the day,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 86
mimma
January 6, 2019, 11:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,571
Gold Stars: 78
Taken from FIFA website:

DIRECT RED CARD INCIDENTS
The role of the VAR is to ensure that no clearly wrong decisions are made in conjunction with sending off or not sending off a player.

And:

Decision or action is taken
The referee decides to review the video footage on the side of the field of play before taking the appropriate action/decision, or the referee accepts the information from the VAR and takes the appropriate action/decision.

So after reading this then the ref and VAR ref were correct yesterday in changing the card.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 86
supertown
January 6, 2019, 11:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from mimma
Taken from FIFA website:

DIRECT RED CARD INCIDENTS
The role of the VAR is to ensure that no clearly wrong decisions are made in conjunction with sending off or not sending off a player.

And:

Decision or action is taken
The referee decides to review the video footage on the side of the field of play before taking the appropriate action/decision, or the referee accepts the information from the VAR and takes the appropriate action/decision.

So after reading this then the ref and VAR ref were correct yesterday in changing the card.

No, because it was not ‘clearly wrong’ It was one persons opinion against anothers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 86
TonySmith
January 6, 2019, 11:17pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +969
Gold Stars: 11
If one of their players had done that to one of ours, we would all have been howling for a red card. Fox mistimed his challenge and it was very dangerous. The ref saw a yellow live as did everyone else, but the close up replay shows that it was a clear red card foul. That's what VAR is for, to correct errors that the ref makes in the instant. My only question about it is that Atkinson should have taken a look at the video evidence for himself before overturning his own call. Had he done so, I'm pretty sure it would still have been a red card.
I live in Atlanta and have watched numerous MLS games where VAR is now just a part of the furniture. It does not end all controversy, but it definitely changes the outcome of games. I've seen goals given by the ref chalked off two minutes later after he has  stared at a tv screen for what seems like an age trying to make the right decision, especially regarding offside calls and penalties. But in the end, it helps the officials get more difficult calls right, so on balance I'm for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 86
diehardmariner
January 7, 2019, 10:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,610
Gold Stars: 538
No complaints on the red.  It was very reckless, needless and ultimately stupid. 1st minute or 91st minute, you can't lunge in like that these days.  Moment of madness from Fox and I'm sure he's well aware of the consequences of his actions.  Unfortunate that it's likely to be his last act in a Town shirt.

How Atkinson saw enough of it to issue a yellow and not a red I don't know, maybe he bought into the 'too early' mindset but then felt the pressure from VAR to issue a red.

Is it fair that we played with VAR and others didn't?  I doubt we would have complained if it had gone in our favour.  

My issue is with VAR overall.  It's not done to improve the game, it's getting shoehorned into the game to sell advertising slots, nothing else.  One of the biggest conversation points about football is the controversy  - was he offside, was it a penalty etc.  You take that away from the game and it makes it less interesting, it becomes cold and clinical.

Private Message
Reply: 64 - 86
January 7, 2019, 3:06pm
Guest User
i tend to agree with most, it was a red card, but the ref gave yellow. without VAR we would of had 11 men on the pitch and Palace would have had a serious game on their hands. If all the games had VAR i wouldnt have minded but they didnt. Watching other games without VAR some players got away with not been sent off . Just appears unfair IMHO. Team were excellent , Support fantastic.  UTM.
Reply: 65 - 86
lew chaterleys lover
January 7, 2019, 3:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 4055
i tend to agree with most, it was a red card, but the ref gave yellow. without VAR we would of had 11 men on the pitch and Palace would have had a serious game on their hands. If all the games had VAR i wouldnt have minded but they didnt. Watching other games without VAR some players got away with not been sent off . Just appears unfair IMHO. Team were excellent , Support fantastic.  UTM.

You say it was a red, but the most experienced referee in the Premier League was standing 5 yards away, and taking all the circumstances into account decided it was a yellow card. He had to take into account several factors and his experience told him a yellow would have settled everybody down, and we would have had a great game at 11 v 11 which is what everyone had come to see.

I am sure Fox bitterly regrets diving in like that, but the occasion clearly got him too pumped up and a yellow card and a stern warning should have been the end of it.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 86
Hagrid
January 7, 2019, 3:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,401
Gold Stars: 534
Just read an interview with Mckeown in the Independent. Says Fox is the nicest man he’s met in football and his wife had flown over from the US to see the game, poor bloke. I have no ill feeling towards him at all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 86
marinerdazza
January 7, 2019, 3:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,856
Gold Stars: 82
As regrettable as it was, the sending off prompted the subsequent heroics, positive media coverage and universal respect. Things sometimes happen for a reason and I agree with others that this is likely a pivotal moment. Not sure if I'd change anything given a time travel machine. It was all very "Town" and much the better for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 86
lew chaterleys lover
January 7, 2019, 4:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from marinerdazza
As regrettable as it was, the sending off prompted the subsequent heroics, positive media coverage and universal respect. Things sometimes happen for a reason and I agree with others that this is likely a pivotal moment. Not sure if I'd change anything given a time travel machine. It was all very "Town" and much the better for it.

Maybe, but a sneaky one nil win with 11 players would be even better.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fox

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.