jamesgtfc
December 23, 2018, 8:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Other than Celtic, Rangers (just) Aberdeen and possibly Hearts most of the sweaties Prem clubs are L2 standard at best so maybe despite a good pay rise professionaly Macca realised the grass wasn’t greener.

You’ll never really know how good a player is until he gets thrown in there. When Ryan Bennet played for Town could we really say he was good enough to be a regular in a top 10 perm side?

All I know is that he’s as good as what you get in L2 and considering he’s 1 year into a 3 year deal a good playing asset for the club.

Craig Clay left us for the SPL and his next move was straight back to the Conference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
Northbank Mariner
December 23, 2018, 8:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Other than Celtic, Rangers (just) Aberdeen and possibly Hearts most of the sweaties Prem clubs are L2 standard at best so maybe despite a good pay rise professionaly Macca realised the grass wasn’t greener.

You’ll never really know how good a player is until he gets thrown in there. When Ryan Bennet played for Town could we really say he was good enough to be a regular in a top 10 perm side?

All I know is that he’s as good as what you get in L2 and considering he’s 1 year into a 3 year deal a good playing asset for the club.

Oh c''mon Herts, get real here, macca is a great league 2 keeper, you cannot compare him to Bennet, one was scouted, moved on at early age because his ability was better than the level he was at...
IMacca is in his prime as a keeper and if he was to be given the chance to move up the league's if would have happened by now...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
arryarryarry
December 23, 2018, 9:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Really enjoyed it yesterday, generally a good performance all round. If we beat Fale, get a point at Exeter and McKeown stays (heard a rumour Saturday he was on his way to Middlesborough ) I really think it sets us up as having the ability to finish as a top 10 team and who knows how high in that top ten it could be.

I was told on Saturday that Sunderland were prepared to pay around £1 million for him.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
Heisenberg
December 23, 2018, 9:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,045
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from arryarryarry

I was told on Saturday that Sunderland were prepared to pay around £1 million for him.

I heard this one too. Preposterous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
grimsby pete
December 23, 2018, 9:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Cloudy

One year with a one year option so no panic

Thanks Cloudy thats good.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
HertsGTFC
December 23, 2018, 9:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Oh c''mon Herts, get real here, macca is a great league 2 keeper, you cannot compare him to Bennet, one was scouted, moved on at early age because his ability was better than the level he was at...
IMacca is in his prime as a keeper and if he was to be given the chance to move up the league's if would have happened by now...

Read my post and tell me where I compared both players.........?  and then look the word “context”up FFS.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
Northbank Mariner
December 24, 2018, 7:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Read my post and tell me where I compared both players.........?  and then look the word “context”up FFS.

No need to get aggressive, all I'm saying is you mentioned Ryan Bennet in the same "context," during your post...
Climb back in your diamonte pram and ask ya mother to out ya dummy back in...
Oh, btw, you could see Bennet oosed class and in fairness he's probably surpassed what most thought he would and to compare, how many thought Bogle would be championship level yet he now appears to be staring the football scrapheap unless someone in the lower league's us prepared to give him another go at rebuilding his career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
diehardmariner
December 24, 2018, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,611
Gold Stars: 538
The game - we were far from our best and County were awful (I would be really, really concerned if I was a County fan) yet we managed a 4-0 win.  Standard set early on when Clifton showed more desire than all of their defence to get the first goal.  From there on in it was a no contest. Although out of position a bit, Cardwell was highly effective and the option of using him as a physical presence freed Thomas up to do other bits.  Both put mammoth shifts in.

I was a bit disappointed that at 3-0 the decision was made to give Woolford a run out rather than young Buckley but it proved a good move.  Slight concern about the depth we've got in the squad at the minute.  2 youth team lads and a 1st year pro on the bench can be seen as progressive but also that we're a few more injuries away from a crisis.  I'm sure Jolley has it all in check.

McKeown - The ground was rife with rumours on Saturday.  The one I heard was it's Sunderland who are very keen and are prepared to dangle the Embleton loan into the mix as a sweetener to any deal.  I think McKeown has shown some fine form this season and has actually kicked on another level under the coaching of Sam Russell, but Sunderland are a club with realistic ambitions of getting back in the Championship next season and then no doubt with aspirations to kick on back to the Premier League.  I'm really not sure McKeown is at that level at all.   That said, I never thought Jason Puncheon looked much special when he played against us for Barnet and he's made a very decent career for himself at the top table...
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
golfer
December 24, 2018, 9:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
I don't know what level Macca can reach but I do know that a few Premiership keepers make more howlers than he does.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
mimma
December 24, 2018, 9:31am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Ah.. a rumour.  We haven't had a good one for a while so someone has decided to start one.

Like others have said if Macca was good enough to play at league one or championship standard he would be there already. He's a very good shot stopper but doesn't command his area for a tall keeper. His distribution also lets him down which is something clubs higher look for in a keeper these days.

Next rumour please!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.