7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
December 22, 2018, 6:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
Good start...good tempo from kick off and Clifton following up to force over the scrambled effort....Clifton 9 times out of 10 was the player arriving in the box today, excellent workrate...but then i think we just started playing poorly on the ball for the remainder of the half but i thought we played pretty well off the ball in the work rate and effort in closing down.
The County midfield were picking up most of the second balls and running our players around but having said that they didnt look that threatening in open play.....thankfully County are poor at both ends so their chocolate fireguard defence came to our assistance.

How on earth Embleton didnt get booked when he clattered their player i dont know..clear retribution from him as he felt aggreived he didnt get a free kick a few moments earlier...thankfully the ref bottled it.

Second half again didnt look great until the third went in....then it was just a case of how many more would we get...very disappointed that Jolley didnt take the opportunity to give Buckley or A Rose 15 mins rather than Woolford as 3-0 up at home against a poor side would have been a freebie for either of those...having said that Woolford played ok and it was his effort that was deflected up for Thomas to spectacularly finish, difficult skill that and superbly done to cap off a decent performance from him.

Happy Xmas.. UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 61
ginnywings
December 22, 2018, 6:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Strange old game. We won 4-0 without ever hitting any great heights with our play. In fact, we kept on gifting the ball back to County, but so bad were they that they did nothing with it. They looked neat and tidy in midfield, but full of holes at the back and blunt up front. Very much reminded me of us circa 2010 and if they don't buck their ideas up, they are heading in the same direction. Three headers into an open net from about three yards out is the sign of a very poor back line.

Not much else to say really, apart from mentioning the spectacular full moon over the Main Stand. We weren't brilliant, but we didn't need to be, as they were woeful. 3 more points, onward and upward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 61
forza ivano
December 22, 2018, 7:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Be interested to hear what jolly made of it. IMHO that was an absolutely vital 3 points, putting us 9 points clear of relegation and meaning we won't be in the bottom 2 come January when I think we are all pretty confident he's already got better players lined up.
You know what they say about teams that play poorly but still win.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 61
Cloudy
December 22, 2018, 7:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Thought we were very good out of possession but not so good with it.
Notts were shockingly bad and look relegation fodder, they reminded me of our relegation side, lots of ‘names’ who should be above this level but poor attitude and application.
Both our centre backs did very well, Hess and Thomas too. Wes had a running battle with Brisley who was very physical off the ball but Wes delivered the answer, a goal and 4 -0 victory
We looked like a team, Notts are a collection of overpaid individuals
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 61
jamesgtfc
December 22, 2018, 8:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
We weren't at our best but they were shambolic at the back. We started very brightly and then scored the early goal but after that, I thought Notts County were the better side for most of the first half. Great to go in at 2-0 and the third goal knocked the stuffing out of them.

Pleased for Harry Davis too who is proving to be a very good signing.

If we can do the right business in January, we have the makings of a very good squad to build on for next season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 61
lukeo
December 22, 2018, 8:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,294
Gold Stars: 134
Am I right in thinking we're closer to play offs than relegation (points wise)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 61
jamesgtfc
December 22, 2018, 9:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from lukeo
Am I right in thinking we're closer to play offs than relegation (points wise)

By a solitary point. 8 points off the play offs and 9 points from relegation.

With 3 tough games coming up it will be interesting to see what the table looks like New Year's Day.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 61
December 22, 2018, 9:12pm
Guest User
A good result, 3 good points. Why do we have 11  players in our box at corners, when the ball is cleared opposition  collects and we stay under pressure. I believe Slade ( sorry for swearing) was slagged off  for this tactic. A better team picking up the ball will  cause us more problems than county did. Surely Thomas must be  in centre circle keeping two defenders occupied. I have great faith in what MJ is doing, but this troubles me. Mind you it doesn't take a lot to confuse /trouble me.  
Reply: 17 - 61
HertsGTFC
December 22, 2018, 9:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
If I was a Notts County fan I think I'd walk away thinking how did we lose 4 - 0? We where not at our "fluent best" if we ever have been and maybe it's just a case of we took our chances and our keeper made a couple of good saves and they failed miserably in front of goal and their keeper was poor? Who Knows? Anyway I'll take that every Saturday of he season.

Things that struck me today....

1. The players look like they are enjoying playing, working hard and more importantly working for each other.

2. I don't know what Jolley and his staff have done but the Town players look much more confident and mentally stronger than they have in ages. They appear to have unity, desire and a belief to back themselves in what they do.

3. And this worries me...... just as things are going well we lose Collins, Charlie, Hendrie to injury and maybe in the next few weeks could lose Fox and Embelton, all being well MJ won't have to start all over again.

4. 6 home wins in the last 7, 11 goals in the last 3 home games would suggest the players are up for it. Long time since we've seen a CB on a hat trick too.    

But.... Overall a good workman like performance on a day when both players and supporters where on the same page and that made for a good atmosphere. It could be argued we invited them  on to us (we did) but also credit to the defense who backed up with another good performance from Macca dd a good job overall.

Well done to all I reckon... UTM!!

P.S. - I know the squad is pretty thread bare but in my mind it was great to see 3 youngsters on the bench  today.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 61
friskneymariner
December 22, 2018, 9:56pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
The result today was due to everyone of the players working hard and playing for each other.We might not have the most talented team,but there is no faulting their work rate and togetherness.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.