This thread currently has 14,417 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
December 22, 2018, 10:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Strange game first half they had long spells of possession but our defence looked more than capable of handling them albeit one mistake at the back nearly cost us a goal. In stark contrast, their defence was shocking especially at handling corners and crosses.

Macca again made a couple of superb saves when called upon but again we grinded a good result from a rather poor game first half in particular. Cardwell had a good game up front his height and pace keeping their defence busy.

Thomas was getting knocked all over the place and looked a bit knackered but he as a great technique in the box and can swivel and hit a shot from the tightest of spots. His goal was another great piece of skill.

Embelton looks, real class, he has tremendous energy and upper body strength with a low centre of gravity his shooting with either foot is a great weapon to have. Clifton looks better each game and purposeful, Hendrie looks a class act as well, Fox and Whitmore look assured at the back.

Pringle whilst not the fastest or strongest does have a sweet cross that causes problems a luxury to some but an asset to others.

All in all a great result when we relax and play passing football we look a great team but we can still battle, do the ugly stuff sit deeper and defend for long spells if needed.

To be honest it never looked like a four nill on play alone but their defence was always looking dodgy.

Sat behind M.J. he clearly still gets frustrated but he must be feeling the team are playing better like the way he kept switching Embelton and Pringle around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 61
Mikey_345
December 22, 2018, 11:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,273
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from 140348
A good result, 3 good points. Why do we have 11  players in our box at corners, when the ball is cleared opposition  collects and we stay under pressure. I believe Slade ( sorry for swearing) was slagged off  for this tactic. A better team picking up the ball will  cause us more problems than county did. Surely Thomas must be  in centre circle keeping two defenders occupied. I have great faith in what MJ is doing, but this troubles me. Mind you it doesn't take a lot to confuse /trouble me.  

Ive noticed an awful lot of teams do this these days, even very good ones City for example.

We do tend to be able to get out very quickly to close opponents down so don’t think it impacts us much.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 61
petethemariner
December 23, 2018, 12:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
For what its worth, i cannot for the life of me understand why bringing all your players back to defend a corner is an advantage, if you leave 1 up your opponents always leave 2 back, so you already have an advantage of 1 in the penalty area, plus the corner taker making  it an advantage of 2, just seems common sense to leave at least one player   on the halfway line to me.
Having said that, well done MJ and the players for halting a worrying plunge towards the bottom of the league and giving the fans something to be optimistic about for the  first time in ages.
UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 61
Davec
December 23, 2018, 4:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Apart from the injury concern, hopefully Hendrie isn't badly injured, I was disappointed not to see Buckley or Pollock not to get a run out. I felt Buckley could have come on instead of Woolford but Woolford did look useful when he came on and contributed to the goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 61
buckstown
December 23, 2018, 7:46am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,121
Gold Stars: 77
The defending corner issue is interesting. I've always been in favour of leaving one up but Mikey is right, virtually every team now defend with 11 and try to break out fast. It's like playing out from the back seems essential in the modern game and the keeper hoofing it is very yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 61
Mariner93er
December 23, 2018, 8:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
I'm also in favour of lesving a player up, however when was the last time we conceded from a corner/ how many hsve we conceded from corners. I could be wrong but I can't recall many and from what I've seen have been very good at defending them. I think there is a big advsntage to having everyone back in that there's so little space it's harder for the opposition to get a good run to attack the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 61
moosey_club
December 23, 2018, 9:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Had a glance at a Notts County forum last night.....by and large blaming their keeper , comments like he is a good shot stopper but doesnt command, they knew our weak link was the keeper , all they had to do was put the ball on top of our keeper and they would score...etc etc ...and pretty much 100% of them convinced they are going down.

I think their big ironic cheer late in the 2nd half when they cleared a corner shows what they have been regularly suffering.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 61
Les Brechin
December 23, 2018, 11:51am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
I don't think we played that well yesterday but Notts defending was atrocious.

I'd be a bit worried if I were a Notts fan as we didn't really need to get out of first gear and they could well end up as this seasons Chesterfield.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 61
rancido
December 23, 2018, 12:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from 140348
A good result, 3 good points. Why do we have 11  players in our box at corners, when the ball is cleared opposition  collects and we stay under pressure. I believe Slade ( sorry for swearing) was slagged off  for this tactic. A better team picking up the ball will  cause us more problems than county did. Surely Thomas must be  in centre circle keeping two defenders occupied. I have great faith in what MJ is doing, but this troubles me. Mind you it doesn't take a lot to confuse /trouble me.  

As has been pointed out, it is a modern coaching tactic and is used by most teams at the highest level. If MJ prefers this and we keep progressing then who am I to knock it. If we keep on winning then" the end justifies the means".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 61
RoboCod
December 23, 2018, 1:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Les Brechin
I don't think we played that well yesterday but Notts defending was atrocious.

I'd be a bit worried if I were a Notts fan as we didn't really need to get out of first gear and they could well end up as this seasons Chesterfield.

The 2nd header from our corner was astonishing. Blame the goalie all you like but TWO Town players arriving late at the far post unmarked shouldn't happen at any level.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.