Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: wigworld, December 22, 2018, 5:19pm
First game I've been able to get to since September.
Score more a reflection of how bad they were than how good we are. I didn't think we looked that great until last 10 minutes when suddenly we started playing some nice football. Bizarrely, the change seemed to happen when Woolford came on!
Happy with the result, though.
Posted by: denni266, December 22, 2018, 5:38pm; Reply: 1
First game for a few weeks. county was a poor team . we didnt seem to get out of second gear but put away  our chances ,Thats a big change  from earlier in the season.. you can see the fight in towns faces and play , could it be the stick  they got earlier in the season has had the right affect. was not keen on the subs. but with games coming fast a rest is in order especialy when well in front
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 22, 2018, 5:39pm; Reply: 2

Jolley likes us to sit deep until we nick a goal, then he still likes us to sit deep and go on the counter attack when possible to add to the tally.......some might think it's not pretty but don't knock it because it's working ....... happy days
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 22, 2018, 5:42pm; Reply: 3
Let's get the bad news out of the way, Charlie's injury, heard him chatting to someone before the game and he seemed worried. Good news, we played pretty moderately and won 4-0 - MoM Harry Davis closely followed by Hess, Harry & Foxy.

Merry Christmas!
Posted by: Bigdog, December 22, 2018, 5:50pm; Reply: 4
I don't think we played that badly. We were definitely the best team in both boxes. We created five or six clear cut chances, they created nothing other than a couple of long range pot shots. Bit of a weird one as I thought Clifton and Hessenthaler both had good games individually yet Notts dominated the midfield area until they gave up in the last ten minutes. We do seem to be trying to sucker teams into letting us attack them on the break. Seen somewhere that we are top of the league table for number of shots on goal resulting from a counter attack. Yet.. our first three goals all resulted from set-pieces delivered brilliantly by Pringle. The presence of Cardwell seemed to unsettle their defence in the box and he did really well to create mayhem with a terrific turn and cross/shot for our first goal. Never seen a defence so inept at BP for a long time. County have some good players but all seem to play with a bad attitude which results in them being a poor team. Aided and abetted by a poor and weak referee, this was underlined by how many times they wanted to play the man rather than the ball. I think we gave up too much possession because by playing Cardwell, Embleton and Pringle, there was just one luxury player too many on the pitch when we didn't have the ball. Another runner may have given us a bit more of a foothold in the game, but then again when we've won 4-0, does it really matter today? Although against different and better opposition we may be found wanting in that regard.

Our defensive unit seemed to be playing under instruction to play a deeper line. Not a backing off deeper line, more like a set distance between defence and midfield to provide two solid banks of four and five. If County knocked the ball back ten yards, they pushed up ten yards, a subtle difference and it ensured our defenders defended on the front foot, smothered their attacks and didn't give them time on the ball. Other than that miskick by Whitmore at the start of the second half which nearly gifted them a goal, I thought our back four hardly put a foot wrong and seemed to win every challenge and header. Even RHJ put a decent shift in when he came on which was good to see as it looks like Hendrie could be missing games after going off injured.

In front of the defence, a special mention must go to Harry Clifton and Wes Thomas's battling qualities and workrate. Outstanding by both and capped of by each netting a well taken goal, especially Thomas who made a difficult skill look simple albeit helped by a mistake by their keeper.. Embleton added a touch of class when needed too.

Even if it wasn't much of a decent game of football to watch, plenty of our players had decent games individually. There seems to be a growing confidence in this team and if we can retain Embleton and Hendrie and add three or four more in January to improve us in one or two areas, it looks like at last that we might be getting somewhere..
Posted by: essexexile, December 22, 2018, 6:03pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from promotion plaice

Jolley likes us to sit deep until we nick a goal, then he still likes us to sit deep and go on the counter attack when possible to add to the tally.......some might think it's not pretty but don't knock it because it's working ....... happy days

Lord AB said just that in commentary - let them have the ball & when defence is in position press em, nick it, breakaway and score
Can't be bad when you're not playing that well & win 4-0 but AB said County defence very poor
Posted by: pen penfras, December 22, 2018, 6:10pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Bigdog
I think we gave up too much possession because by playing Cardwell, Embleton and Pringle, there was just one luxury player too many on the pitch when we didn't have the ball. Another runner may have given us a bit more of a foothold in the game

If Embleton and Cardwell are luxury players, then I'm a Frenchman. They both run their arses off for the team.
Posted by: Bigdog, December 22, 2018, 6:18pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from pen penfras

If Embleton and Cardwell are luxury players, then I'm a Frenchman. They both run their arses off for the team.

Agreed, they both ran their arses off but we weren't that effective in midfield for large parts of the game even though we did let them have the ball while keeping our shape. What I was outlining was that we were playing a unit of a forward out wide and Embleton is more of a ball player than a ball winner which is fine but can we afford Pringle to be Pringle and play a forward out wide too? My point was directed specifically at Pringle who I thought had a poor game when not taking set pieces. He was the real luxury today rather than the other two. You have to admit we were very unbalanced mainly with and sometimes without the ball at times in the midfield area, and that could be a concern against a better team than County with the same starting line up..
Posted by: speedy, December 22, 2018, 6:27pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Bigdog

Agreed, they both ran their arses off but we weren't that effective in midfield. What I was outlining was that we were playing a unit of a forward out wide and Embleton is more of a ball player than a ball winner. My point was directed specifically at Pringle who I thought had a poor game when not taking set pieces. He was the luxury today rather than the other two. You have to admit we were very unbalanced with and without the ball at times in the midfield area, and that could be a concern against a better team than County with the same starting line up..

I would agree with pringle but not embleton. Very impressive workrate to close down who is in possesion and not just sit off but put a tackle or block in aswell. Thought cardwell looked a little confused at times as to where to be (as expected as hes a striker) but still did the job.  Thought rose made us that little bit more solid when coming on and helped us battle in the midfield.
Posted by: GrimRob, December 22, 2018, 6:35pm; Reply: 9
Won 4-0 in second gear. I'd take that.
Posted by: moosey_club, December 22, 2018, 6:41pm; Reply: 10
Good start...good tempo from kick off and Clifton following up to force over the scrambled effort....Clifton 9 times out of 10 was the player arriving in the box today, excellent workrate...but then i think we just started playing poorly on the ball for the remainder of the half but i thought we played pretty well off the ball in the work rate and effort in closing down.
The County midfield were picking up most of the second balls and running our players around but having said that they didnt look that threatening in open play.....thankfully County are poor at both ends so their chocolate fireguard defence came to our assistance.

How on earth Embleton didnt get booked when he clattered their player i dont know..clear retribution from him as he felt aggreived he didnt get a free kick a few moments earlier...thankfully the ref bottled it.

Second half again didnt look great until the third went in....then it was just a case of how many more would we get...very disappointed that Jolley didnt take the opportunity to give Buckley or A Rose 15 mins rather than Woolford as 3-0 up at home against a poor side would have been a freebie for either of those...having said that Woolford played ok and it was his effort that was deflected up for Thomas to spectacularly finish, difficult skill that and superbly done to cap off a decent performance from him.

Happy Xmas.. UTM
Posted by: ginnywings, December 22, 2018, 6:43pm; Reply: 11
Strange old game. We won 4-0 without ever hitting any great heights with our play. In fact, we kept on gifting the ball back to County, but so bad were they that they did nothing with it. They looked neat and tidy in midfield, but full of holes at the back and blunt up front. Very much reminded me of us circa 2010 and if they don't buck their ideas up, they are heading in the same direction. Three headers into an open net from about three yards out is the sign of a very poor back line.

Not much else to say really, apart from mentioning the spectacular full moon over the Main Stand. We weren't brilliant, but we didn't need to be, as they were woeful. 3 more points, onward and upward.
Posted by: forza ivano, December 22, 2018, 7:45pm; Reply: 12
Be interested to hear what jolly made of it. IMHO that was an absolutely vital 3 points, putting us 9 points clear of relegation and meaning we won't be in the bottom 2 come January when I think we are all pretty confident he's already got better players lined up.
You know what they say about teams that play poorly but still win.......
Posted by: Cloudy, December 22, 2018, 7:59pm; Reply: 13
Thought we were very good out of possession but not so good with it.
Notts were shockingly bad and look relegation fodder, they reminded me of our relegation side, lots of ‘names’ who should be above this level but poor attitude and application.
Both our centre backs did very well, Hess and Thomas too. Wes had a running battle with Brisley who was very physical off the ball but Wes delivered the answer, a goal and 4 -0 victory
We looked like a team, Notts are a collection of overpaid individuals
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 22, 2018, 8:08pm; Reply: 14
We weren't at our best but they were shambolic at the back. We started very brightly and then scored the early goal but after that, I thought Notts County were the better side for most of the first half. Great to go in at 2-0 and the third goal knocked the stuffing out of them.

Pleased for Harry Davis too who is proving to be a very good signing.

If we can do the right business in January, we have the makings of a very good squad to build on for next season.
Posted by: lukeo, December 22, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 15
Am I right in thinking we're closer to play offs than relegation (points wise)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 22, 2018, 9:06pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from lukeo
Am I right in thinking we're closer to play offs than relegation (points wise)

By a solitary point. 8 points off the play offs and 9 points from relegation.

With 3 tough games coming up it will be interesting to see what the table looks like New Year's Day.
Posted by: 140348 (Guest), December 22, 2018, 9:12pm; Reply: 17
A good result, 3 good points. Why do we have 11  players in our box at corners, when the ball is cleared opposition  collects and we stay under pressure. I believe Slade ( sorry for swearing) was slagged off  for this tactic. A better team picking up the ball will  cause us more problems than county did. Surely Thomas must be  in centre circle keeping two defenders occupied. I have great faith in what MJ is doing, but this troubles me. Mind you it doesn't take a lot to confuse /trouble me.  :-/
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 22, 2018, 9:51pm; Reply: 18
If I was a Notts County fan I think I'd walk away thinking how did we lose 4 - 0? We where not at our "fluent best" if we ever have been and maybe it's just a case of we took our chances and our keeper made a couple of good saves and they failed miserably in front of goal and their keeper was poor? Who Knows? Anyway I'll take that every Saturday of he season.

Things that struck me today....

1. The players look like they are enjoying playing, working hard and more importantly working for each other.

2. I don't know what Jolley and his staff have done but the Town players look much more confident and mentally stronger than they have in ages. They appear to have unity, desire and a belief to back themselves in what they do.

3. And this worries me...... just as things are going well we lose Collins, Charlie, Hendrie to injury and maybe in the next few weeks could lose Fox and Embelton, all being well MJ won't have to start all over again.

4. 6 home wins in the last 7, 11 goals in the last 3 home games would suggest the players are up for it. Long time since we've seen a CB on a hat trick too.    

But.... Overall a good workman like performance on a day when both players and supporters where on the same page and that made for a good atmosphere. It could be argued we invited them  on to us (we did) but also credit to the defense who backed up with another good performance from Macca dd a good job overall.

Well done to all I reckon... UTM!!

P.S. - I know the squad is pretty thread bare but in my mind it was great to see 3 youngsters on the bench  today.  

Posted by: friskneymariner, December 22, 2018, 9:56pm; Reply: 19
The result today was due to everyone of the players working hard and playing for each other.We might not have the most talented team,but there is no faulting their work rate and togetherness.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 22, 2018, 10:44pm; Reply: 20
Strange game first half they had long spells of possession but our defence looked more than capable of handling them albeit one mistake at the back nearly cost us a goal. In stark contrast, their defence was shocking especially at handling corners and crosses.

Macca again made a couple of superb saves when called upon but again we grinded a good result from a rather poor game first half in particular. Cardwell had a good game up front his height and pace keeping their defence busy.

Thomas was getting knocked all over the place and looked a bit knackered but he as a great technique in the box and can swivel and hit a shot from the tightest of spots. His goal was another great piece of skill.

Embelton looks, real class, he has tremendous energy and upper body strength with a low centre of gravity his shooting with either foot is a great weapon to have. Clifton looks better each game and purposeful, Hendrie looks a class act as well, Fox and Whitmore look assured at the back.

Pringle whilst not the fastest or strongest does have a sweet cross that causes problems a luxury to some but an asset to others.

All in all a great result when we relax and play passing football we look a great team but we can still battle, do the ugly stuff sit deeper and defend for long spells if needed.

To be honest it never looked like a four nill on play alone but their defence was always looking dodgy.

Sat behind M.J. he clearly still gets frustrated but he must be feeling the team are playing better like the way he kept switching Embelton and Pringle around.
Posted by: Mikey_345, December 22, 2018, 11:10pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from 140348
A good result, 3 good points. Why do we have 11  players in our box at corners, when the ball is cleared opposition  collects and we stay under pressure. I believe Slade ( sorry for swearing) was slagged off  for this tactic. A better team picking up the ball will  cause us more problems than county did. Surely Thomas must be  in centre circle keeping two defenders occupied. I have great faith in what MJ is doing, but this troubles me. Mind you it doesn't take a lot to confuse /trouble me.  :-/

Ive noticed an awful lot of teams do this these days, even very good ones City for example.

We do tend to be able to get out very quickly to close opponents down so don’t think it impacts us much.
Posted by: petethemariner, December 23, 2018, 12:44am; Reply: 22
For what its worth, i cannot for the life of me understand why bringing all your players back to defend a corner is an advantage, if you leave 1 up your opponents always leave 2 back, so you already have an advantage of 1 in the penalty area, plus the corner taker making  it an advantage of 2, just seems common sense to leave at least one player   on the halfway line to me.
Having said that, well done MJ and the players for halting a worrying plunge towards the bottom of the league and giving the fans something to be optimistic about for the  first time in ages.
UTM  
Posted by: Davec, December 23, 2018, 4:21am; Reply: 23
Apart from the injury concern, hopefully Hendrie isn't badly injured, I was disappointed not to see Buckley or Pollock not to get a run out. I felt Buckley could have come on instead of Woolford but Woolford did look useful when he came on and contributed to the goal.
Posted by: buckstown, December 23, 2018, 7:46am; Reply: 24
The defending corner issue is interesting. I've always been in favour of leaving one up but Mikey is right, virtually every team now defend with 11 and try to break out fast. It's like playing out from the back seems essential in the modern game and the keeper hoofing it is very yesterday.
Posted by: Mariner93er, December 23, 2018, 8:44am; Reply: 25
I'm also in favour of lesving a player up, however when was the last time we conceded from a corner/ how many hsve we conceded from corners. I could be wrong but I can't recall many and from what I've seen have been very good at defending them. I think there is a big advsntage to having everyone back in that there's so little space it's harder for the opposition to get a good run to attack the ball.
Posted by: moosey_club, December 23, 2018, 9:49am; Reply: 26
Had a glance at a Notts County forum last night.....by and large blaming their keeper , comments like he is a good shot stopper but doesnt command, they knew our weak link was the keeper , all they had to do was put the ball on top of our keeper and they would score...etc etc ...and pretty much 100% of them convinced they are going down.

I think their big ironic cheer late in the 2nd half when they cleared a corner shows what they have been regularly suffering.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 23, 2018, 11:51am; Reply: 27
I don't think we played that well yesterday but Notts defending was atrocious.

I'd be a bit worried if I were a Notts fan as we didn't really need to get out of first gear and they could well end up as this seasons Chesterfield.
Posted by: rancido, December 23, 2018, 12:59pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from 140348

As has been pointed out, it is a modern coaching tactic and is used by most teams at the highest level. If MJ prefers this and we keep progressing then who am I to knock it. If we keep on winning then" the end justifies the means".
Posted by: RoboCod, December 23, 2018, 1:03pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Les Brechin
I don't think we played that well yesterday but Notts defending was atrocious.

I'd be a bit worried if I were a Notts fan as we didn't really need to get out of first gear and they could well end up as this seasons Chesterfield.

The 2nd header from our corner was astonishing. Blame the goalie all you like but TWO Town players arriving late at the far post unmarked shouldn't happen at any level.
Posted by: MarinerRob, December 23, 2018, 1:17pm; Reply: 30
At the third goal, their players were blocking and shielding Harry Cardwell. This allowed Davis and Whitemore to come in at the far post. So Harry Cardwell was instrumental in the first 3 goals which is encouraging.
And Wes is turning into a firm favourite of mine. And what I also like is the hard work and not giving up attitude.
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 23, 2018, 1:35pm; Reply: 31
Am I right in thinking Harry Davies only signed a one year deal ?

If so we had better sign him up for longer pronto.
Posted by: Cloudy, December 23, 2018, 4:04pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from grimsby pete
Am I right in thinking Harry Davies only signed a one year deal ?

If so we had better sign him up for longer pronto.

One year with a one year option so no panic
Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 23, 2018, 5:31pm; Reply: 33
Really enjoyed it yesterday, generally a good performance all round. If we beat Fale, get a point at Exeter and McKeown stays (heard a rumour Saturday he was on his way to Middlesborough :D) I really think it sets us up as having the ability to finish as a top 10 team and who knows how high in that top ten it could be. :)
Posted by: Skrill, December 23, 2018, 5:33pm; Reply: 34
Play-offs are a real possibility now.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, December 23, 2018, 5:37pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Skrill
Play-offs are a real possibility now.

This is the position of the teams we play up until the end of Jan.

6th, 5th, Palace, Bottom, Top, 7th & 2nd.  If we can hold some kind of form then it's going to be a good run in and potential playoffs.

Posted by: Cloudy, December 23, 2018, 5:54pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Really enjoyed it yesterday, generally a good performance all round. If we beat Fale, get a point at Exeter and McKeown stays (heard a rumour Saturday he was on his way to Middlesborough :D) I really think it sets us up as having the ability to finish as a top 10 team and who knows how high in that top ten it could be. :)

Anyone seriously think Macca is a a Championship keeper?

Did you hear it on ifollow?
Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 23, 2018, 6:02pm; Reply: 37
Heard it from someone at the match, like I said was a rumour, as dont know if this person is in the know or not. As for being championship quality, not sure myself but who, when we were in the conference, had Andy Cook down as likely to be playing in League 1, a few years later.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 23, 2018, 7:37pm; Reply: 38
Heard it from someone at the match, like I said was a rumour, as dont know if this person is in the know or not. As for being championship quality, not sure myself but who, when we were in the conference, had Andy Cook down as likely to be playing in League 1, a few years later.

Let's put this rumour to bed right now...he had the chance to play in the Scottish Premier, turned that down to stay with us, loves this town and club and in all honesty with his level of his distribution which has never really improved he's just not championship level, certainly not at a club that's looking to get promoted to the top table of English football...
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 23, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Let's put this rumour to bed right now...he had the chance to play in the Scottish Premier, turned that down to stay with us, loves this town and club and in all honesty with his level of his distribution which has never really improved he's just not championship level, certainly not at a club that's looking to get promoted to the top table of English football...

Other than Celtic, Rangers (just) Aberdeen and possibly Hearts most of the sweaties Prem clubs are L2 standard at best so maybe despite a good pay rise professionaly Macca realised the grass wasn’t greener.

You’ll never really know how good a player is until he gets thrown in there. When Ryan Bennet played for Town could we really say he was good enough to be a regular in a top 10 perm side?

All I know is that he’s as good as what you get in L2 and considering he’s 1 year into a 3 year deal a good playing asset for the club.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 23, 2018, 8:46pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Other than Celtic, Rangers (just) Aberdeen and possibly Hearts most of the sweaties Prem clubs are L2 standard at best so maybe despite a good pay rise professionaly Macca realised the grass wasn’t greener.

You’ll never really know how good a player is until he gets thrown in there. When Ryan Bennet played for Town could we really say he was good enough to be a regular in a top 10 perm side?

All I know is that he’s as good as what you get in L2 and considering he’s 1 year into a 3 year deal a good playing asset for the club.

Craig Clay left us for the SPL and his next move was straight back to the Conference.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 23, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Oh c''mon Herts, get real here, macca is a great league 2 keeper, you cannot compare him to Bennet, one was scouted, moved on at early age because his ability was better than the level he was at...
IMacca is in his prime as a keeper and if he was to be given the chance to move up the league's if would have happened by now...
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 23, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 42

I was told on Saturday that Sunderland were prepared to pay around £1 million for him.
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 23, 2018, 9:37pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from arryarryarry

I was told on Saturday that Sunderland were prepared to pay around £1 million for him.

I heard this one too. Preposterous.
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 23, 2018, 9:38pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Cloudy

One year with a one year option so no panic

Thanks Cloudy thats good.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 23, 2018, 9:59pm; Reply: 45

Oh c''mon Herts, get real here, macca is a great league 2 keeper, you cannot compare him to Bennet, one was scouted, moved on at early age because his ability was better than the level he was at...
IMacca is in his prime as a keeper and if he was to be given the chance to move up the league's if would have happened by now...

Read my post and tell me where I compared both players.........?  and then look the word “context”up FFS.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 24, 2018, 7:10am; Reply: 46
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Read my post and tell me where I compared both players.........?  and then look the word “context”up FFS.

No need to get aggressive, all I'm saying is you mentioned Ryan Bennet in the same "context," during your post...
Climb back in your diamonte pram and ask ya mother to out ya dummy back in...
Oh, btw, you could see Bennet oosed class and in fairness he's probably surpassed what most thought he would and to compare, how many thought Bogle would be championship level yet he now appears to be staring the football scrapheap unless someone in the lower league's us prepared to give him another go at rebuilding his career.
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 24, 2018, 9:01am; Reply: 47
The game - we were far from our best and County were awful (I would be really, really concerned if I was a County fan) yet we managed a 4-0 win.  Standard set early on when Clifton showed more desire than all of their defence to get the first goal.  From there on in it was a no contest. Although out of position a bit, Cardwell was highly effective and the option of using him as a physical presence freed Thomas up to do other bits.  Both put mammoth shifts in.

I was a bit disappointed that at 3-0 the decision was made to give Woolford a run out rather than young Buckley but it proved a good move.  Slight concern about the depth we've got in the squad at the minute.  2 youth team lads and a 1st year pro on the bench can be seen as progressive but also that we're a few more injuries away from a crisis.  I'm sure Jolley has it all in check.

McKeown - The ground was rife with rumours on Saturday.  The one I heard was it's Sunderland who are very keen and are prepared to dangle the Embleton loan into the mix as a sweetener to any deal.  I think McKeown has shown some fine form this season and has actually kicked on another level under the coaching of Sam Russell, but Sunderland are a club with realistic ambitions of getting back in the Championship next season and then no doubt with aspirations to kick on back to the Premier League.  I'm really not sure McKeown is at that level at all.   That said, I never thought Jason Puncheon looked much special when he played against us for Barnet and he's made a very decent career for himself at the top table...
Posted by: golfer, December 24, 2018, 9:20am; Reply: 48
I don't know what level Macca can reach but I do know that a few Premiership keepers make more howlers than he does.
Posted by: mimma, December 24, 2018, 9:31am; Reply: 49
Ah.. a rumour.  We haven't had a good one for a while so someone has decided to start one.

Like others have said if Macca was good enough to play at league one or championship standard he would be there already. He's a very good shot stopper but doesn't command his area for a tall keeper. His distribution also lets him down which is something clubs higher look for in a keeper these days.

Next rumour please!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 24, 2018, 9:45am; Reply: 50
Quoted from mimma
Ah.. a rumour.  We haven't had a good one for a while so someone has decided to start one.

Like others have said if Macca was good enough to play at league one or championship standard he would be there already. He's a very good shot stopper but doesn't command his area for a tall keeper. His distribution also lets him down which is something clubs higher look for in a keeper these days.

Next rumour please!

Next rumour will be that Bogies making a return or that AB is Jolleys secret advisory....but what would the fishy be without a good rumour or 3...
And let's be honest, if any club offers £1, 000, 000 plus for any of our players we are not in a position to turn that down...
Onwards n upwards and I for one am expecting to see macca in goal for the rest of this season at the very least...
Posted by: golfer, December 24, 2018, 10:53am; Reply: 51
[quote=140299]

Next rumour will be that Bogies making a return or that AB is Jolleys secret advisory....but what would the fishy be without a good rumour or 3...
And let's be honest, if any club offers £1, 000, 000 plus for any of our players we are not in a position to turn that down...
Onwards n upwards and I for one AM EXPECTING TO SEE MACCA IN GOAL FOR REST OF THE SEASON.

GOOD !
Posted by: Ipswin, December 24, 2018, 11:30am; Reply: 52

For £1,000,000 (up front non of your 'sell-on' crap) they could have the whole squad FFS

Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 24, 2018, 12:13pm; Reply: 53
Macca playing in the Championship is not beyond the realms of possibility, remember Nicky Southall playing in the premiership, who'd have thought that when he couldn't make our bench.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, December 24, 2018, 12:52pm; Reply: 54
Simon Francis is captain at Bournemouth, and he never looked anything special at Town. McKeown IMO is a very good league 2 goalkeeper. He could certainly play in league one, maybe the championship a step too far. At nearly 30, he is been incredibly loyal, too loyal in my opinion and I'd be pleased for him if he got his move, a huge pay packet and a six figure signing on fee to set him up financially, he won't get that here I'm afraid.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 24, 2018, 1:29pm; Reply: 55
£1 million for Macca?

No disrespect to him, but if someone offers that sort of money for him we should take it. Maybe we could do a straight swap for Embo who is certainly destined for much better things.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 24, 2018, 2:16pm; Reply: 56

how many thought Bogle would be championship level yet he now appears to be staring the football scrapheap unless someone in the lower league's us prepared to give him another go at rebuilding his career.

I know he's not tearing up any trees but 13 league appearances for a side 8th in the championship is hardly staring at the scrapheap stuff.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 24, 2018, 2:53pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Abdul19

I know he's not tearing up any trees but 13 league appearances for a side 8th in the championship is hardly staring at the scrapheap stuff.

But you and I know he's not done it... Wigan, Cardiff and now not doing particularly well at Birmingham... that's where my point was going, we all thought Bogle was destined for a bigger n brighter future in the football world but after not exactly netting consistently for 3 clubs higher-up the pyramid than when he played for a non league team just shows he has a level and it's not as high as we thought.... league 1, he'd do okay and league 2 he'd probably look awesome....
Posted by: Abdul19, December 24, 2018, 3:34pm; Reply: 58

league 2 he'd probably look awesome....

He'd probably score 19 by January ;)
Posted by: jock dock tower, December 24, 2018, 3:42pm; Reply: 59
Re next few games...we've played well and given most clubs at the top of the division a run for their money, gubbing a few of them along the way. Fully expect to see Town certainly consolidating where we are at the moment if not moving a few places upwards.
Posted by: hheh2, December 24, 2018, 3:45pm; Reply: 60
Rumours are rumours, remember the Ryan Bennett one at the start of last season?  ;D (lol)
Posted by: rancido, December 25, 2018, 10:43am; Reply: 61
Well , to keep the Macca rumour going - I also heard that Sunderland were interested in having him. I doubt if he would be first choice but even as a back up he would probably be on more money than he is here. He could see his league career out there and still play for one of the nearby non-league clubs for his " twilight years".
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 2:42am