pen penfras
November 16, 2018, 1:01pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -130
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Cloudy

You dont want shouting at a football match?

Take away the passion then the game is dead. I would stress i am not talking about violence or serious threatening behaviour but singing chanting and cheering is a major part of English football as is barracking the opposition

What a strange animal you are!

I'm not talking about chanting or cheering, I'm talking about the people that are swearing and being aggressive. That's not behaviour that you want your kids to see and think it's ok. Somehow people think because you're in a football stadium, it's ok to gesticulate the male masturbator sign at a complete stranger and swear at people giving it the Billy big bollox. It's not ok, anywhere.

Don't tell me you think fans are getting banning orders for singing "MARINERS" too passionately.

I also think that drunken behaviour from football fans in public is a problem. The drunk people and most of the non drunk supporters of the same team think it's just a bit of fun, but being a non football match attendee around this sort of behaviour can be quite intimidating. Even though there is little chance of it being anything other than loud and obnoxious.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 63
Les Brechin
November 16, 2018, 1:14pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,700
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Civvy at last

Hence the line about ITV digital Les,  Whoosh  

That's what happens when you only read part of a sentence.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 63
Cloudy
November 16, 2018, 1:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm not talking about chanting or cheering, I'm talking about the people that are swearing and being aggressive. That's not behaviour that you want your kids to see and think it's ok. Somehow people think because you're in a football stadium, it's ok to gesticulate the male masturbator sign at a complete stranger and swear at people giving it the Billy big bollox. It's not ok, anywhere.

Don't tell me you think fans are getting banning orders for singing "MARINERS" too passionately.

I also think that drunken behaviour from football fans in public is a problem. The drunk people and most of the non drunk supporters of the same team think it's just a bit of fun, but being a non football match attendee around this sort of behaviour can be quite intimidating. Even though there is little chance of it being anything other than loud and obnoxious.

Kids will hear and pick up far worse language at school!

There needs to be room for a wide variety of fans at all grounds, sections for families, sections for the prawn sandwich brigade but also sections for those who want to chant and sing to get behind their team AND to try and intimate the opposition. Never been any different.
I understand the Lower Smiths can be a hotbed, certainly for the bigger games, yet I choose not to sit there. Football cannot and in my view, should not, try to alienate youngsters, youths, pensioners or anyone in between.

Enjoy your quinoa salad whilst reading the Guardian.

FOOTBALL FOR ALL!
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 63
arryarryarry
November 16, 2018, 1:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from pen penfras

I've been watching Town for over 50 years and it isn't that much different now to what it was in the 60s.

As regards kids seeing it, just watch any game on TV and in close ups of the crowd you see young kids gesticulating more than the adults.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 63
arryarryarry
November 16, 2018, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from realist

Wondered how long it would be before that old chestnut came out. Have you ever thought that if you do nothing wrong the police will have nothing to get over zealous about?

You obviously don't get to many away grounds, I've never been in trouble with plod but I've been told where I can and can't go, been kettled into places I don't want to be and generally treated like a hooligan.

Most plod don't give a toss whether you are a trouble maker or not.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 63
Cloudy
November 16, 2018, 1:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from arryarryarry

You obviously don't get to many away grounds, I've never been in trouble with plod but I've been told where I can and can't go, been kettled into places I don't want to be and generally treated like a hooligan.

Most plod don't give a toss whether you are a trouble maker or not.

Exactly, and I'm 64. Hate being stopped for walking down the street, having a quiet pint and being pushed and shoved just because I am attending a football match.

IMO I believe this is happening more and more because of the inflamed reputation passed on to other forces and clubs by one person!
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 63
KingstonMariner
November 16, 2018, 2:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Cloudy

Exactly, and I'm 64. Hate being stopped for walking down the street, having a quiet pint and being pushed and shoved just because I am attending a football match.

IMO I believe this is happening more and more because of the inflamed reputation passed on to other forces and clubs by one person!

Indeed, it was the excuse Stevenage cited last year for their unreasonable treatment of Town fans.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 63
Helgy
November 16, 2018, 4:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Quoted from promotion plaice

Someone on "Vital Lincoln" having another dig at GTFC........

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/another-table-grimsby-are-top-of.87675/

Most Lincoln fans avoid it so don't worry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 63
GrimRob
November 16, 2018, 6:04pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,399
Gold Stars: 113
Is it really worth having dozens of police at a football match watching out to see if anyone makes the male masturbator sign (or similar)? Wouldn't they be better off looking for shoplifters or drug dealers who perpetrate crimes with a far greater social cost than a gesture between two drunken supporters separated by a stand?

I am not saying it is not a crime, simply that most reported crimes are never solved. I've always suspected the police can make their own figures look better by finding their own minor "crimes" to balance out some of the unsolved ones. Let's say there are 10 shoplifting incidents in the town centre on a Saturday afternoon. The police would do well to even solve 2 of these, so 20% success rate. On the other hand then can arrest 5 D&D fans and 5 for gestures and BINGO they can have a 50% success rate while forgetting about all those awkward shoplifters, many of whom are professional thieves and good at what they do, as opposed to the easy pickings at the match.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 63
GYinScuntland
November 16, 2018, 6:51pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from GrimRob
Is it really worth having dozens of police at a football match watching out to see if anyone makes the male masturbator sign (or similar)? Wouldn't they be better off looking for shoplifters or drug dealers who perpetrate crimes with a far greater social cost than a gesture between two drunken supporters separated by a stand?

I am not saying it is not a crime, simply that most reported crimes are never solved. I've always suspected the police can make their own figures look better by finding their own minor "crimes" to balance out some of the unsolved ones. Let's say there are 10 shoplifting incidents in the town centre on a Saturday afternoon. The police would do well to even solve 2 of these, so 20% success rate. On the other hand then can arrest 5 D&D fans and 5 for gestures and BINGO they can have a 50% success rate while forgetting about all those awkward shoplifters, many of whom are professional thieves and good at what they do, as opposed to the easy pickings at the match.

And there you have it in a nutshell, but it's been going on for decades.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Football Banning Orders

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.