Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 15, 2018, 7:49pm

Someone on "Vital Lincoln" having another dig at GTFC........

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/another-table-grimsby-are-top-of.87675/
Posted by: wuffing, November 15, 2018, 8:03pm; Reply: 1
Amazing what neighbours can get jealous about! ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 15, 2018, 10:11pm; Reply: 2
Bless 'em.
Posted by: realist, November 16, 2018, 6:21am; Reply: 3
It is a vaild point though. It shows what sort of "fans" we have
Posted by: MarinerBen, November 16, 2018, 6:55am; Reply: 4
You could say our fans are more reckless, orrr maybe our police are more effective at their jobs?
Posted by: Grim74, November 16, 2018, 7:16am; Reply: 5
Quoted from realist
It is a vaild point though. It shows what sort of "fans" we have

Bullshit! We have culture of over zelous policing in collaboration with a narcissistic safety officer.
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 16, 2018, 7:53am; Reply: 6
Are Lincoln the prawn cocktail fans of league 2.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 16, 2018, 8:03am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Grim74

Bullshit! We have culture of over zelous policing in collaboration with a narcissistic safety officer.

But also more idiots per head, than most
Posted by: realist, November 16, 2018, 8:46am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Grim74

Wondered how long it would be before that old chestnut came out. Have you ever thought that if you do nothing wrong the police will have nothing to get over zealous about?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 16, 2018, 9:04am; Reply: 9
Quoted from realist

Wondered how long it would be before that old chestnut came out. Have you ever thought that if you do nothing wrong the police will have nothing to get over zealous about?

I think the point he’s making is that stats like that can be misleading. So much can depend on the approach taking by club and police.

Look at the Sharkgate shenanigans. 9 times out of ten it would have been laughed off.

With such small numbers, a relatively minor difference in treatment by the police can result in disproportionate swings.

I’m not for one minute condoning any hooligans or criminals.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 16, 2018, 9:07am; Reply: 10
At last, finally punching above our weight at something..
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 16, 2018, 9:36am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Bigdog
At last, finally punching above our weight at something..

Talking of ‘punching’. I would be interested to see just how many of these bans resulted from actual fighting ? I would imagine very few. I’m not saying it’s alright, but I would bet most of them are for behaviour that would just get you warned on a night out !

Also, if we can still blame ITV Digital for the state of the club, can we still blame ‘Burton’  for the high rate of banning orders ?
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 16, 2018, 10:55am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Civvy at last

Talking of ‘punching’. I would be interested to see just how many of these bans resulted from actual fighting ? I would imagine very few. I’m not saying it’s alright, but I would bet most of them are for behaviour that would just get you warned on a night out !

Also, if we can still blame ITV Digital for the state of the club, can we still blame ‘Burton’  for the high rate of banning orders ?

I would think all the Burton ones will be "spent" by now.
Posted by: pen penfras, November 16, 2018, 11:27am; Reply: 13
Are there any stats for whether these banning orders are at home or away and for inside the ground vs outside?

I think it's a bit harsh to blame the safety officer for the number of banning orders, when I thought most of them are for incidents outside of the stadium or not even in Grimsby.

Whether you like it or not, we have a reputation as being trouble causers and as such we've got a target on our back which makes police/stewards look more closely at us than other teams. It's only a very small minority that actually cause problems, but they do exist. There have been enough incidents over recent years to say that it isn't just the authorities being over zealous that has led to this. It's a bit of a stretch to claim we're the victims of every incident.
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 16, 2018, 11:39am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Les Brechin

I would think all the Burton ones will be "spent" by now.

Hence the line about ITV digital Les,  Whoosh  ;)
Posted by: Cloudy, November 16, 2018, 11:41am; Reply: 15
Quoted from pen penfras
Are there any stats for whether these banning orders are at home or away and for inside the ground vs outside?

I think it's a bit harsh too blame the safety officer for the number of banning orders, when I thought most of them are for incidents outside of the stadium or not even in Grimsby.

Whether you like it or not, we have a reputation as being trouble causers and as such we've got a target on our back which makes police/stewards look more closely at us than other teams. It's only a very small minority that actually cause problems, but they do exist. There have been enough incidents over recent years to say that it isn't just the authorities being over zealous that has led to this. It's a bit of a stretch to claim we're the victims of every incident.

I dont think anyone is claiming that are they?

We DO have an undesirable element but we also have an over zealous safety officer who pushes for banning orders for the most minor of incidents. If someone is fighting,attacking other fans then the majority of people would agree that a banning order is correct but for gesticulating or shouting it seems very draconian. Other fans get away with acting the fool but not at GTFC where sadly the said safety officer  wears the badge of honour with the banning order league tables alonside his slimy grim
Posted by: Son of Cod, November 16, 2018, 11:43am; Reply: 16
Quoted from pen penfras

I think it's a bit harsh too blame the safety officer for the number of banning orders, when I thought most of them are for incidents outside of the stadium or not even in Grimsby.

There are stats on the spreadsheet in the link provided that tell us how many arrests were made home and away, but not whether or not these resulted in banning orders. You have to enable editing to be able to select individual clubs though. Ours are quite heavily leaning towards the away days for last season, but I suspect that a fair few of those were from the Lincoln match. Interestingly, there are 17 arrests for public disorder both Lincoln home and us away so make of that what you will.

Anyone recall how many Port Vale fans roughly were involved in the incident last season? They only had 3 arrests away all season and we only had 6 at home, so it seems we're actually quite lenient.

The increase in banning orders is a bit disappointing as we'd avoided being one of the highlighted teams over recent seasons and our numbers were decreasing or stabilising but there's no getting away from this season's increase.

Come to think of it actually, didn't a load of Town fans get banning orders from the Lincoln match, while a load of Lincoln fans got a couple of match bans?
Posted by: pen penfras, November 16, 2018, 12:30pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Cloudy

I dont think anyone is claiming that are they?

We DO have an undesirable element but we also have an over zealous safety officer who pushes for banning orders for the most minor of incidents. If someone is fighting,attacking other fans then the majority of people would agree that a banning order is correct but for gesticulating or shouting it seems very draconian. Other fans get away with acting the fool but not at GTFC where sadly the said safety officer  wears the badge of honour with the banning order league tables alonside his slimy grim

Football is supposed to be a sport for everybody. I don't want my family around people that are gesticulating or shouting. Certainly not the things that are often getting shouted. Maybe we're more harsh with it, I don't know how you can quantify that, but if people can't sit and watch a football match for 2 hours without acting aggressively or insulting towards other people, then they only have themselves to blame. You wouldn't think that sort of behaviour is ok when walking down the street, so why the hell is it ok at a football match?
Posted by: Meza, November 16, 2018, 12:34pm; Reply: 18
I don't hear much about violence and I reckon the majority will be drunken disorder.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 16, 2018, 12:39pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from pen penfras

Football is supposed to be a sport for everybody. I don't want my family around people that are gesticulating or shouting. Certainly not the things that are often getting shouted. Maybe we're more harsh with it, I don't know how you can quantify that, but if people can't sit and watch a football match for 2 hours without acting aggressively or insulting towards other people, then they only have themselves to blame. You wouldn't think that sort of behaviour is ok when walking down the street, so why the hell is it ok at a football match?

You dont want shouting at a football match?

Take away the passion then the game is dead. I would stress i am not talking about violence or serious threatening behaviour but singing chanting and cheering is a major part of English football as is barracking the opposition

What a strange animal you are!
Posted by: pen penfras, November 16, 2018, 1:01pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Cloudy

You dont want shouting at a football match?

Take away the passion then the game is dead. I would stress i am not talking about violence or serious threatening behaviour but singing chanting and cheering is a major part of English football as is barracking the opposition

What a strange animal you are!

I'm not talking about chanting or cheering, I'm talking about the people that are swearing and being aggressive. That's not behaviour that you want your kids to see and think it's ok. Somehow people think because you're in a football stadium, it's ok to gesticulate the male masturbator sign at a complete stranger and swear at people giving it the Billy big bollox. It's not ok, anywhere.

Don't tell me you think fans are getting banning orders for singing "MARINERS" too passionately.

I also think that drunken behaviour from football fans in public is a problem. The drunk people and most of the non drunk supporters of the same team think it's just a bit of fun, but being a non football match attendee around this sort of behaviour can be quite intimidating. Even though there is little chance of it being anything other than loud and obnoxious.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 16, 2018, 1:14pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Civvy at last

Hence the line about ITV digital Les,  Whoosh  ;)

That's what happens when you only read part of a sentence.  ;D
Posted by: Cloudy, November 16, 2018, 1:30pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm not talking about chanting or cheering, I'm talking about the people that are swearing and being aggressive. That's not behaviour that you want your kids to see and think it's ok. Somehow people think because you're in a football stadium, it's ok to gesticulate the male masturbator sign at a complete stranger and swear at people giving it the Billy big bollox. It's not ok, anywhere.

Don't tell me you think fans are getting banning orders for singing "MARINERS" too passionately.

I also think that drunken behaviour from football fans in public is a problem. The drunk people and most of the non drunk supporters of the same team think it's just a bit of fun, but being a non football match attendee around this sort of behaviour can be quite intimidating. Even though there is little chance of it being anything other than loud and obnoxious.

Kids will hear and pick up far worse language at school!

There needs to be room for a wide variety of fans at all grounds, sections for families, sections for the prawn sandwich brigade but also sections for those who want to chant and sing to get behind their team AND to try and intimate the opposition. Never been any different.
I understand the Lower Smiths can be a hotbed, certainly for the bigger games, yet I choose not to sit there. Football cannot and in my view, should not, try to alienate youngsters, youths, pensioners or anyone in between.

Enjoy your quinoa salad whilst reading the Guardian.

FOOTBALL FOR ALL!
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 16, 2018, 1:37pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from pen penfras

I've been watching Town for over 50 years and it isn't that much different now to what it was in the 60s.

As regards kids seeing it, just watch any game on TV and in close ups of the crowd you see young kids gesticulating more than the adults.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 16, 2018, 1:40pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from realist

You obviously don't get to many away grounds, I've never been in trouble with plod but I've been told where I can and can't go, been kettled into places I don't want to be and generally treated like a hooligan.

Most plod don't give a toss whether you are a trouble maker or not.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 16, 2018, 1:51pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from arryarryarry

You obviously don't get to many away grounds, I've never been in trouble with plod but I've been told where I can and can't go, been kettled into places I don't want to be and generally treated like a hooligan.

Most plod don't give a toss whether you are a trouble maker or not.

Exactly, and I'm 64. Hate being stopped for walking down the street, having a quiet pint and being pushed and shoved just because I am attending a football match.

IMO I believe this is happening more and more because of the inflamed reputation passed on to other forces and clubs by one person!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 16, 2018, 2:09pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Cloudy

Exactly, and I'm 64. Hate being stopped for walking down the street, having a quiet pint and being pushed and shoved just because I am attending a football match.

IMO I believe this is happening more and more because of the inflamed reputation passed on to other forces and clubs by one person!

Indeed, it was the excuse Stevenage cited last year for their unreasonable treatment of Town fans.
Posted by: Helgy, November 16, 2018, 4:54pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from promotion plaice

Someone on "Vital Lincoln" having another dig at GTFC........

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/another-table-grimsby-are-top-of.87675/

Most Lincoln fans avoid it so don't worry.

Posted by: GrimRob, November 16, 2018, 6:04pm; Reply: 28
Is it really worth having dozens of police at a football match watching out to see if anyone makes the male masturbator sign (or similar)? Wouldn't they be better off looking for shoplifters or drug dealers who perpetrate crimes with a far greater social cost than a gesture between two drunken supporters separated by a stand?

I am not saying it is not a crime, simply that most reported crimes are never solved. I've always suspected the police can make their own figures look better by finding their own minor "crimes" to balance out some of the unsolved ones. Let's say there are 10 shoplifting incidents in the town centre on a Saturday afternoon. The police would do well to even solve 2 of these, so 20% success rate. On the other hand then can arrest 5 D&D fans and 5 for gestures and BINGO they can have a 50% success rate while forgetting about all those awkward shoplifters, many of whom are professional thieves and good at what they do, as opposed to the easy pickings at the match.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, November 16, 2018, 6:51pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from GrimRob
Is it really worth having dozens of police at a football match watching out to see if anyone makes the male masturbator sign (or similar)? Wouldn't they be better off looking for shoplifters or drug dealers who perpetrate crimes with a far greater social cost than a gesture between two drunken supporters separated by a stand?

I am not saying it is not a crime, simply that most reported crimes are never solved. I've always suspected the police can make their own figures look better by finding their own minor "crimes" to balance out some of the unsolved ones. Let's say there are 10 shoplifting incidents in the town centre on a Saturday afternoon. The police would do well to even solve 2 of these, so 20% success rate. On the other hand then can arrest 5 D&D fans and 5 for gestures and BINGO they can have a 50% success rate while forgetting about all those awkward shoplifters, many of whom are professional thieves and good at what they do, as opposed to the easy pickings at the match.

And there you have it in a nutshell, but it's been going on for decades.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 16, 2018, 7:33pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from GrimRob

And in all likelihood there will be "safety" cameras taking nice photos of you driving on roads where you're unsure as to where you are travelling to and from so a few miles over the limit and Bob's your uncle for the boys in blue.  ::)
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 17, 2018, 2:25am; Reply: 31
It's a Grimsby thing, a bit like a Glasgow kiss, a punch to the chops is just to test how strong your jaw is, other clubs strip fans and feel them up.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/SGYfKNo.gif[/img]
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 17, 2018, 4:30am; Reply: 32
I honestly think some people regard this as a badge of honour, top of the league in banning orders is something to be ashamed of.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 17, 2018, 8:30am; Reply: 33
Our failing police force seem to view it more a badge of honour imo I mean let’s face it in crime statistics Humberside police finish bottom on virtually everything,so at least their good at this
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 17, 2018, 3:30pm; Reply: 34
Due to us having a poor reputation, being stuck out on a limb and basically a run down ground, us this why some clubs away support is quite poor at BP.
Posted by: Not again., November 19, 2018, 9:05am; Reply: 35
Despite the hysteria surrounding this, I can't recall ever seeing a punch landed on anyone in 30 years of supporting Grimsby. Just shows how under control the British are when you can be in real trouble for accidentally jabbing someone with an inflatable shark, whilst meanwhile in France motorways are blocked and fires are burning because they aren't happy with the price of diesel.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 19, 2018, 4:28pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Not again.
Despite the hysteria surrounding this, I can't recall ever seeing a punch landed on anyone in 30 years of supporting Grimsby. Just shows how under control the British are when you can be in real trouble for accidentally jabbing someone with an inflatable shark, whilst meanwhile in France motorways are blocked and fires are burning because they aren't happy with the price of diesel.

The only time I have seen punches thrown in over 63 years was in the Ponny when away fans had come in looking for trouble, they always left wishing they had not bothered.

At away games we have had  bricks, coins and urine thrown at us but I never saw any police arrest any of their supporters.
Posted by: Grim up north, November 20, 2018, 10:39pm; Reply: 37
The club have to take their share of the blame for some incidents for how they were badly handled.
Mansfield at home - larger than average Mansfield following with known element.Anyone who witnessed the 80's and 90's knows you either hold them back and let the home fans disperse or let the away fans out Harrington St . Someone made the decision to let them out with the home fans - no excuses ,they shouldn't fight but it was a cocktail for disaster.
Port Vale home - Port Vale with a much larger than normal travelling element plus a German hooligan contingent drinking in Cleethorpes all morning and no extra police in the ground leads to Vale fans overpowering the exposed stewards and trying to storm the home end. Some Town fans fought back and look to be getting banning orders but if they had broken into the lower then the outcome could've been perhaps quite a lot worse.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 20, 2018, 11:29pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Grim up north
The club have to take their share of the blame for some incidents for how they were badly handled.
Mansfield at home - larger than average Mansfield following with known element.Anyone who witnessed the 80's and 90's knows you either hold them back and let the home fans disperse or let the away fans out Harrington St . Someone made the decision to let them out with the home fans - no excuses ,they shouldn't fight but it was a cocktail for disaster.
Port Vale home - Port Vale with a much larger than normal travelling element plus a German hooligan contingent drinking in Cleethorpes all morning and no extra police in the ground leads to Vale fans overpowering the exposed stewards and trying to storm the home end. Some Town fans fought back and look to be getting banning orders but if they had broken into the lower then the outcome could've been perhaps quite a lot worse.

Really? Not heard that before. Why would they come all the way here? See NEL as a soft touch?
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 21, 2018, 3:49am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Not again.

Actually the gentleman didn't actually accidentally jab someone he belted the steward several times, it was clearly seen on the TV footage.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 21, 2018, 8:09am; Reply: 40
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Really? Not heard that before. Why would they come all the way here? See NEL as a soft touch?

Several lower level teams have alliances with continental teams only last yr 150 Grimsby went to watch Aalst in some low level Belgium game
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 21, 2018, 10:17pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Several lower level teams have alliances with continental teams only last yr 150 Grimsby went to watch Aalst in some low level Belgium game

So is it all some kind of neo-Nazi, sorry, Alt.Recht thing?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 22, 2018, 7:59am; Reply: 42

So is it all some kind of neo-Nazi, sorry, Alt.Recht thing?

Some Belgium lads came to a town match a few years ago , some friendships developed and its carried on SO nothing to do with nazis or anything political just plain and simple like minded people who happen to watch their local low level footy team
Posted by: barralad, November 22, 2018, 11:00am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Grim up north

Is this fact? First I've heard of it.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 22, 2018, 7:30pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from barralad

The Fishy ....always first  8)
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 22, 2018, 7:37pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from barralad

Don't tell him Pike!
Posted by: Grim up north, November 22, 2018, 10:47pm; Reply: 46
Hamburg I seem to recall , can't remember where I saw them but was bound to be on social media somewhere. The other wierd one was Hibs with Oldham. That one is even stranger as its  a club associated with the green side of the religious divide pairing up with an area with EDL links although it's a relationship that's been around for a few years apparently.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 23, 2018, 2:12am; Reply: 47
Hamburg Glasgow Rangers
Feyenoord Sunderland
Aberdeen spurs
Just three examples but loads of little love ins all over Europe many involving British clubs
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 23, 2018, 7:32am; Reply: 48
Hamburg Glasgow Rangers
Feyenoord Sunderland
Aberdeen spurs
Just three examples but loads of little love ins all over Europe many involving British clubs

What about us and Lincoln,Scunny and Hull, many times I've seen them all together with their arms around each other's throats.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, November 23, 2018, 11:19am; Reply: 49
Hamburg Glasgow Rangers
Feyenoord Sunderland
Aberdeen spurs

We've built up relations with PSV fans after our friendly over there in July. A few of us went over to Eindhoven again at the start of this month for the game vs Vitesse.

So in return, 20 of them are heading over to Stockport County away with us in March.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, November 23, 2018, 11:47am; Reply: 50
This is fantastic when Euro clubs fans get together with English sides, , , especially the smaller sides, , , what is not so good is when they are joining forces for more sinister reasons , ,  

(boxer) (boxed)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 23, 2018, 1:43pm; Reply: 51

Forgive for making the connection between international hooligans (specifically the ones reported as being in Clee with Port Vale) and the far right. Wouldn't surprise me if there's some recruiting going on.
Posted by: Hameln Mariner, November 23, 2018, 2:13pm; Reply: 52
Not sure about this "link". I went to Aalst about 10 years ago when the friendship was fairly new. I suspect that I was possibly even the first town fan that went to see them play at home. They are a lively bunch and do enjoy a beer or two (who wouldn't in Belgium?). As for being right wing, I'm as far from that as possible and the lads I spent time with certainly were not either. If things have moved on and something has developed then I'll admit to being behind the curve but I think something is being made out of nothing here.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, November 23, 2018, 3:55pm; Reply: 53
Meanwhile on the subject of banning orders..
on the Scunthorpe telegraph website there's an article about a gang causing trouble by attacking people before and during Scunthorpe matches.
The police have been aware of them since last season , the football intelligence officer is aware, SUFC are aware but any sniff of a banning order? No.

"Alongside SUFC we’re now issuing a warning to them about their behaviour so it doesn’t get any worse and become a problem for the club and for us.

Superintendent Dave Hall, who is leading this footballing initiative for Humberside Police said: “Our football intelligence officers have reported that this particular group of youths seem to think it is a good idea to cause trouble on match days.

“Some of them used to go to matches but have decided now to do this instead. I’d like to remind them that it’s not funny or clever and we are putting a stop to it."

"The youths have been harassing fans attending games at Glanford Park
“The vast majority of football fans want to enjoy a good day out, go and support their team, and don’t expect to be threatened or be in fear of violence. The real football fans are families, young children as well as elderly people.

“The last thing I want to do is criminalise children or young people as it can have a profound impact long into their adult lives.

“If this continues there is the potential for these youths get a criminal record through Football Banning Orders or even Criminal Behaviour Orders."
Posted by: rancido, November 23, 2018, 3:57pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Cloudy

Kids will hear and pick up far worse language at school!

There needs to be room for a wide variety of fans at all grounds, sections for families, sections for the prawn sandwich brigade but also sections for those who want to chant and sing to get behind their team AND to try and intimate the opposition. Never been any different.
I understand the Lower Smiths can be a hotbed, certainly for the bigger games, yet I choose not to sit there. Football cannot and in my view, should not, try to alienate youngsters, youths, pensioners or anyone in between.

Enjoy your quinoa salad whilst reading the Guardian.

Doesn't make it right though.
Do you allow your children ( if you have any ) to swear at you or your family in your home?
FOOTBALL FOR ALL!

Posted by: Gaffer58, November 23, 2018, 4:17pm; Reply: 55
So if these scunny lads, don't think you can call them fans as they do not attend games, get arrested for fighting, do you give them a banning order, as said earlier they found not attend games. At what point is fighting football related or just a fight in the street.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, November 23, 2018, 4:26pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Gaffer58
So if these scunny lads, don't think you can call them fans as they do not attend games, get arrested for fighting, do you give them a banning order, as said earlier they found not attend games. At what point is fighting football related or just a fight in the street.

They're attacking football fans next to a football ground on a match day. It's football related.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 23, 2018, 5:25pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Gaffer58

Wouldn’t a banning order exclude them from a certain radius of the ground.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 23, 2018, 10:09pm; Reply: 58

Forgive for making the connection between international hooligans (specifically the ones reported as being in Clee with Port Vale) and the far right. Wouldn't surprise me if there's some recruiting going on.

The far right and the far left both represented at Aalst last year ( from gy)  I know people who went with totally different perspectives on politics but who have a love for their home grown team gtfc.  Don’t make any connections between international hooligans and Grimsby this is purely a friendship with like minded Belgium’s who support a poor low level team who play in black and white and who like a good drink as for port vale maybe their alliances-motives are different ?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 23, 2018, 10:30pm; Reply: 59

The far right and the far left both represented at Aalst last year ( from gy)  I know people who went with totally different perspectives on politics but who have a love for their home grown team gtfc.  Don’t make any connections between international hooligans and Grimsby this is purely a friendship with like minded Belgium’s who support a poor low level team who play in black and white and who like a good drink as for port vale maybe their alliances-motives are different ?

I was making a connection between hooligans and the far right. Nothing to do with Aalst or Grimsby. I responded to a comment about 'German hooligans' kicking off in Cleethorpes. I've come across plenty of far right football hooligans but so far no left wing ones.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 23, 2018, 10:32pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Hameln Mariner
Not sure about this "link". I went to Aalst about 10 years ago when the friendship was fairly new. I suspect that I was possibly even the first town fan that went to see them play at home. They are a lively bunch and do enjoy a beer or two (who wouldn't in Belgium?). As for being right wing, I'm as far from that as possible and the lads I spent time with certainly were not either. If things have moved on and something has developed then I'll admit to being behind the curve but I think something is being made out of nothing here.

See my comments about German hooligans in Cleethorpes. I never mentioned Aalst.
Posted by: ska face, November 27, 2018, 8:45am; Reply: 61
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-46348507

I wonder if SYP will be a bit more accommodating for anyone passing through on Sunday now they know they’re not above the law themselves?
Posted by: Hameln Mariner, November 27, 2018, 9:39am; Reply: 62

See my comments about German hooligans in Cleethorpes. I never mentioned Aalst.

I get it that you didn't mention Aalst and hopefully between Dapperz and myself we've put that one to bed about any Town fans going along for anything other than a good day out with some other lower level football supporters who just happen to be from Belgium.

If you want to meet some (very) left wing football supporters all you need to do is get over to Hamburg and go to a St Pauli match.  It doesn't get much more left of arc at a football match than at the Millentor.  My German team, Werder Bremen has a long standing leaning to the left of the political spectrum but mainly due to it being a historical thing and also because Hamburg SV (our local rivals until they finally got themselves relegated) are traditionally a right wing club so it's a case of whatever they are we're not. A lot of Italian ultra's have always latched onto the right wing/left wing thing too but that is a whole different ball game.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, November 27, 2018, 11:09am; Reply: 63
Quoted from Hameln Mariner

I get it that you didn't mention Aalst and hopefully between Dapperz and myself we've put that one to bed about any Town fans going along for anything other than a good day out with some other lower level football supporters who just happen to be from Belgium.

If you want to meet some (very) left wing football supporters all you need to do is get over to Hamburg and go to a St Pauli match.  It doesn't get much more left of arc at a football match than at the Millentor.  My German team, Werder Bremen has a long standing leaning to the left of the political spectrum but mainly due to it being a historical thing and also because Hamburg SV (our local rivals until they finally got themselves relegated) are traditionally a right wing club so it's a case of whatever they are we're not. A lot of Italian ultra's have always latched onto the right wing/left wing thing too but that is a whole different ball game.

Nur Der HSV
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 12:03pm