barralad
November 1, 2018, 1:04pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from pen penfras

Because the council there is well known for being progressive and forward thinking?

I'd say the council is far more afraid of the nimbys and the consequences of upsetting a few than doing what is unpopular to a few but benefits the town as a whole. The lack of progress over there since I moved away is stark compared to other places in the country.

This is probably a good point at which to remind you that it was the Council who originally offered the Parkway land to the club. However it is dressed up the facts are that the opposition to the Parkway site led by De Freitas has been far better organised than the campaign for the site (despite the early efforts of the Trust's leaflet and on-line campaign of support). You only have to look back at the multiple threads on here to see how opinion is divided. Sadly we have collectively failed to convince the residents of the Borough that the Parkway is the best site.
You may have a point about NIMBYs and council's fear of them but I strongly suspect that is not unique to NE Lincs.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 76
November 1, 2018, 1:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from Davec
Does anybody know where the actual accounts can be downloaded from? The club would normally have a link on the article? But they haven't so far.

Not been filed at Companies House yet.

Reply: 21 - 76
lew chaterleys lover
November 1, 2018, 1:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Bigdog

You've got a historical point re the council but they are offering an olive branch regarding East Marsh. As you're talking about being progressive and forward thinking.. what about the club? No progression or forward thinking for the past twenty years, so many clubs left us behind in that time and now the fig leaf of an absurd and eye-watering £250m Peaks Parkway project has finally been removed, what has JF and his cohorts got left to offer? Already blaming the council for PP being a non-starter. Future talks won't exactly get off to a convivial start will they?

Early season home attendances of less than 4k home fans, away support although still good in comparison to other League Two clubs is dropping off alarmingly. JF has just about ground our club down to a pulp. And as for making improvements at BP.. just look at the state of what they've done with the away end with that cheap plastic sheeting! Embarrassing and definitely nothing about how the club goes about its business smacks of being anything other than non-league bound and dying a lingering slow death.

While the present incumbents are in charge, we are well and truly fooked. Whether it's in three years, five years or ten years, we are well and truly fooked. It's even embarrassing that relatives and associates of JF and even club staff come on here voting down fans opinions. This forum should be a resource for assessing fans opinions and acting upon them not disagreeing with them or trying to dilute opinion by red crossing. It just shows what level our club has sunk to. But then again, it's not our club is it? It's John's club, John's reputation, John's return on his (ahem) investment that matters and it's John's dream. We are all here to purely fund it until a time when he sees fit to leave which I can't see happening any time soon, so it looks like one by one, ten by ten, hundred by hundred, thousand by thousand we'll all have to leave him to it. It's not all bad at the club though. There are one or two good things. Good programme, bars are run well, but then again both are outsourced, so that should tell everyone something.

The feel good factor of OP has certainly disappeared and the apathy we all feared has well and truly set in. After all this time surely JF can't believe he is the chosen one can he? Surely no-one can be so arrogant and ignorant to assess what GTFC has become under his role as custodian? I can't foresee good things for our club while he's at the helm. Our reputation is well and truly set as a bottom feeding lower League Two club always looking over its shoulder at non-league football. Good luck in attracting decent players on a "competitive" budget to a decrepit ground and shoestring training facilities under those circumstances. "You don't have to wash your own kit anymore and you can now watch Sky TV at our training ground, we're very progressive don't you know, championship football in four years too, fancy signing for us?"

Whether we beat Cambridge or not on Saturday is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The fact is that the public of NE Lincs are absolutely fed up to the back teeth of being associated with a John Fenty led football club. An association derived from birthplace that will never be broken to support another team, but is being increasingly being put to one side by hundreds if not thousands who are finding alternative ways to invest their time into enjoying their weekends. Apathy is much more relevant a danger while us diehards cling to the hope of League Two football in 2019/20. It seems like we're in a hopeless spiral that we can't get out of because of how our club operates.

If you've got nothing new to offer John, just write those loans off on the GTFC balance sheet that you've already written off in your head and let someone else have a go. A clean break with no strings attached. Chances are, the next twenty years can't possibly be as bad as the past twenty years and most probably the club could stumble upon someone who can can dynamically engage with the fanbase and indeed the council so we can all hope for a brighter future. Project Fenty was over a long time ago, and now Peaks Parkway is dead in the water. You've put your best efforts in, you've had your go at living out a dream, it's time to wake up and realise it was just one big nightmare, not only for you, but for every poor sod else who has had to put up with easily the worst sustained period on and off the pitch in our club's long and proud history..

A post I obviously agree with, but I think Mr. Fenty will just dig his heels in and hope Michael Jolley can perform a miracle and find some footballing fortune.

What is equally concerning is when do we withdraw our support? Like you say we have lost a lot already but on the whole the fans are very loyal which paradoxically is helping to keep Mr. Fenty in situ because he hasn't got to cover any substantial losses.  

I have said that after nearly 60 years of going another fall into non league would be it for me, but merley surviving year in year out isn't much different really.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 76
Rob_in_Grimsby
November 1, 2018, 1:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
So according to the Fishy the council are OK to string the club along for years forcing the club to spend allot of money on feasibility studies and the like on a site the council proposed and to use a developer the council insisted on to only pull the rug from under them years down the line as a site they probably always want the club to use comes available,
The council have no funding for this just a big piece of land in a run down area and no plan of how to fund it and some say this is an olive branch, The redevelopment and regeneration  fund spouted around has already been confirmed that it can not be used to build a stadium.  
Sorry the club just cant win  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 76
Bigdog
November 1, 2018, 1:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

A post I obviously agree with, but I think Mr. Fenty will just dig his heels in and hope Michael Jolley can perform a miracle and find some footballing fortune.

What is equally concerning is when do we withdraw our support? Like you say we have lost a lot already but on the whole the fans are very loyal which paradoxically is helping to keep Mr. Fenty in situ because he hasn't got to cover any substantial losses.  

I have said that after nearly 60 years of going another fall into non league would be it for me, but merley surviving year in year out isn't much different really.

That's the Catch 22 in a nutshell LCL. The diehards are too loyal to make a stand and the apathetic have been apathetic for so long now that we really don't have a strong base to force Fenty out. Couple that with the fear of fan protest upsetting any apple cart season after season just in case it affects player performance so much that we could drop into non-league, we are always left in limbo and nothing ever comes to a head or gets fixed permanently for the long term greater good of the club..

Even now with the council openly supporting the club to get involved in the Town Deal, our board are digging their heels in and say they're looking at alternative sites. Where for God's sake and with what funding? 66% support for a new stadium at East Marsh on the Telegraph website way above alternative options like social housing etc. The saying goes don't look a gift horse in the mouth, but our lot can't even see the horse. Even if we have to compromise with certain elements of income streams from a community based and funded stadium, we would be in a far better position for the club to grow on and off the pitch rather than chase unrealistic pipe dreams for decades upon end that will never come to fruition.

It's obviously time for a change in leadership. The failure of securing Peaks Parkway seems a perfect tipping point but I agree with you, Fenty wiill be last man standing. we may be in National League North playing Cleethorpes Town, but Fenty will still be there hanging onto his pipe dream..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 76
Bigdog
November 1, 2018, 2:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby
So according to the Fishy the council are OK to string the club along for years forcing the club to spend allot of money on feasibility studies and the like on a site the council proposed and to use a developer the council insisted on to only pull the rug from under them years down the line as a site they probably always want the club to use comes available,
The council have no funding for this just a big piece of land in a run down area and no plan of how to fund it and some say this is an olive branch, The redevelopment and regeneration  fund spouted around has already been confirmed that it can not be used to build a stadium.  
Sorry the club just cant win  

Hang on a sec Rob. It was nearly two years ago that the council invited planning to be presented for Peaks Parkway and the club have done nothing about it because they haven't got the necessary funds. It's the club who have failed to attract inward investment for years and years and we all know the reasons why. If the council are prepared to offer land for a new stadium to be built at East Marsh, the club need to find ways to raise 20-25m to build it and not necessarily by way of enabling projects or borrowing. It's just that our board haven't got the contacts or ability to do it so should step aside. It's about the future of GTFC and that shouldn't be constrained by the lack of talent, contacts or empathy for others that we have currently in the boardroom. Fans fault, council's fault, always somebody else's fault. After all these years it's time for someone to hold their hands up and take responsibility for their actions and most notably inactions. After all they're the ones who've willingly took a vice like control of the club so should be fully accountable. If they can't deliver, it's time to step aside, because last time I looked we were called Grimsby Town FC not John Fenty FC and there will be people out there far better equipped to solve the job in hand..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 76
Green27
November 1, 2018, 2:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Bigdog

Hang on a sec Rob. It was nearly two years ago that the council invited planning to be presented for Peaks Parkway and the club have done nothing about it because they haven't got the necessary funds. It's the club who have failed to attract inward investment for years and years and we all know the reasons why. If the council are prepared to offer land for a new stadium to be built at East Marsh, the club need to find ways to raise 20-25m to build it and not necessarily by way of enabling projects or borrowing. It's just that our board haven't got the contacts or ability to do it so should step aside. It's about the future of GTFC and that shouldn't be constrained by the lack of talent, contacts or empathy for others that we have currently in the boardroom. Fans fault, council's fault, always somebody else's fault. After all these years it's time for someone to hold their hands up and take resposibility for their actions and most notably inactions. After all they're the ones who've willingly took a vice like control of the club so should be fully accountable. If they can't deliver, it's time to step aside, because last time I looked we were called Grimsby Town FC not John Fenty FC and there will be people out there far better equipped to solve the job in hand..

Hello BigDog I don't know much about you but I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Perfectly put your last two posts on this thread. I worry the next decision us fans have to make is when to walk out and starve out the current board. That will never be a popular option and will cause deep rifts in fans and friends alike. I feel the worst is yet to come for us.

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 76
denni266
November 1, 2018, 2:18pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
As i see it  there is no point in having a new ground that will not have the room for the extras that will create cash for the club to move forward.  As we will still be in the same place financially and going no where, Just have a posher ground . We need the extra income to progress end of . And who will hold all the cards,, council  or fenty ?... The trouble is that the club cannot move forward where we are as we have no golden goose, just a load of old crows in charge. the biggest stumbling block is our so called leader and his merry men... Imo i think the council should buy Fenty and his men out and put a chief exe in charge with the view of working out something with a fan owned club or look for a buyer that wants to take the club forward
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 76
mirrorballman
November 1, 2018, 2:20pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8
Bigdog posts are the dog's dangly bits. That is all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 76
psgmariner
November 1, 2018, 2:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I think the council and the club are doing tonnes of stuff already regarding Freemo. Just because it’s not in the telegraph or on the fishy doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. The negativity on here is really frustrating but a sad fact of life in this town I’ve found.

I’m still hugely confident we will be playing at a new community stadium down Freemo within the next 5 years.

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Financial results

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.