lew chaterleys lover
November 1, 2018, 10:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

Of course he doesn't. Wouldn't be in his complete control.

I hope he does hate the idea because it would be great if we could move into a community stadium with a clean break from Mr. Fenty.

If it was me, I would put all my energies into the team, whilst continuing to give BP a lick of paint, and hope for a cup run or league success or unearth a gem to sell for big money, take the money I was owed and call it a day.

If the council wish to pursue the Freeman Street idea it will take years anyway, so just let them get on with it because their vision and Fenty's vision will never match up as it will be about the wider community, not just the football club.

There is one small snag with my plan however - Fenty won't leave and the stadium will never be built  
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 76
ginnywings
November 1, 2018, 11:07am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Does anybody really think that the council are going to invest a large chunk of the regeneration money into a new ground? Nope, me neither.

We can't get an enabling project off the ground. The council are not going to invest a massive chunk of their government money into it, so that leaves a private investor/s as the only option for a new ground now. It aint going to happen.

Only viable option currently is to smarten up BP somehow, but that will take a small fortune given the state of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 76
Maringer
November 1, 2018, 11:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
I do think people are underestimating the amount of work, funding and goodwill which would be required for a site in the East Marsh. I'd think we're talking about a decade-long project to even get the details agreed before even the first sod is turned (or, more precisely, the first of hundreds of thousands of tonnes of masonry is cleared).

Truth be told, even with the regeneration money which is becoming available, I can't see how it could possibly be afforded.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 76
promotion plaice
November 1, 2018, 11:11am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

I reckon there will be a film made one day about this whole stadium fiasco..... it's just convincing Hollywood that it actually happened for real  😁

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 76
diehardmariner
November 1, 2018, 11:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,578
Gold Stars: 537
No doubt there would be huge amounts of work and effort required to even stand a chance of having a stadium as part of the redevelopment of Freeman Street.

Which is why the club should be absolutely kicking doors down to highlight how important they are to the community, especially in that area.  Acting on behalf of the club, Fenty should be canvassing for the support of the community to not only develop that area but also have a community asset (i.e GTFC) at the heart of it.

There may not be funding in place, there may not be any agreements.  But what the club must do is get local support for the move.  Relying on the Trust to do some surveys now and then won't wash with anyone.  

Instead the club are sulking and have resorted to petty mud-slinging at the council which will just weaken any hopes of a progressive partnership with the council.  Thanks, John.  Thanks a lot!
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 76
lew chaterleys lover
November 1, 2018, 11:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from diehardmariner
No doubt there would be huge amounts of work and effort required to even stand a chance of having a stadium as part of the redevelopment of Freeman Street.

Which is why the club should be absolutely kicking doors down to highlight how important they are to the community, especially in that area.  Acting on behalf of the club, Fenty should be canvassing for the support of the community to not only develop that area but also have a community asset (i.e GTFC) at the heart of it.

There may not be funding in place, there may not be any agreements.  But what the club must do is get local support for the move.  Relying on the Trust to do some surveys now and then won't wash with anyone.  

Instead the club are sulking and have resorted to petty mud-slinging at the council which will just weaken any hopes of a progressive partnership with the council.  Thanks, John.  Thanks a lot!

Until we get a more collegiate board of directors and a man who can unite the town, or at least galvanise it then we are stuck. I think Mr. Fenty knows his Fentydome dream is over, so the future looks a bit bleak in that regard.

The team have got to deliver us to better things or it could get really grim.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 76
Bigdog
November 1, 2018, 12:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

Because the council there is well known for being progressive and forward thinking?

I'd say the council is far more afraid of the nimbys and the consequences of upsetting a few than doing what is unpopular to a few but benefits the town as a whole. The lack of progress over there since I moved away is stark compared to other places in the country.

You've got a historical point re the council but they are offering an olive branch regarding East Marsh. As you're talking about being progressive and forward thinking.. what about the club? No progression or forward thinking for the past twenty years, so many clubs left us behind in that time and now the fig leaf of an absurd and eye-watering £250m Peaks Parkway project has finally been removed, what has JF and his cohorts got left to offer? Already blaming the council for PP being a non-starter. Future talks won't exactly get off to a convivial start will they?

Early season home attendances of less than 4k home fans, away support although still good in comparison to other League Two clubs is dropping off alarmingly. JF has just about ground our club down to a pulp. And as for making improvements at BP.. just look at the state of what they've done with the away end with that cheap plastic sheeting! Embarrassing and definitely nothing about how the club goes about its business smacks of being anything other than non-league bound and dying a lingering slow death.

While the present incumbents are in charge, we are well and truly fooked. Whether it's in three years, five years or ten years, we are well and truly fooked. It's even embarrassing that relatives and associates of JF and even club staff come on here voting down fans opinions. This forum should be a resource for assessing fans opinions and acting upon them not disagreeing with them or trying to dilute opinion by red crossing. It just shows what level our club has sunk to. But then again, it's not our club is it? It's John's club, John's reputation, John's return on his (ahem) investment that matters and it's John's dream. We are all here to purely fund it until a time when he sees fit to leave which I can't see happening any time soon, so it looks like one by one, ten by ten, hundred by hundred, thousand by thousand we'll all have to leave him to it. It's not all bad at the club though. There are one or two good things. Good programme, bars are run well, but then again both are outsourced, so that should tell everyone something.

The feel good factor of OP has certainly disappeared and the apathy we all feared has well and truly set in. After all this time surely JF can't believe he is the chosen one can he? Surely no-one can be so arrogant and ignorant to fail to assess what GTFC has become under his role as custodian? I can't foresee good things for our club while he's at the helm. Our reputation is well and truly set as a bottom feeding lower League Two club always looking over its shoulder at non-league football. Good luck in attracting decent players on a "competitive" budget to a decrepit ground and shoestring training facilities under those circumstances. "You don't have to wash your own kit anymore and you can now watch Sky TV at our training ground, we're very progressive don't you know, championship football in four years too, fancy signing for us?"

Whether we beat Cambridge or not on Saturday is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The fact is that the public of NE Lincs are absolutely fed up to the back teeth of being associated with a John Fenty led football club. An association derived from birthplace that will never be broken to support another team, but is being increasingly being put to one side by hundreds if not thousands who are finding alternative ways to invest their time into enjoying their weekends. Apathy is much more relevant a danger while us diehards cling to the hope of League Two football in 2019/20. It seems like we're in a hopeless spiral that we can't get out of because of how our club operates.

If you've got nothing new to offer John, just write those loans off on the GTFC balance sheet that you've already written off in your head and let someone else have a go. A clean break with no strings attached. Chances are, the next twenty years can't possibly be as bad as the past twenty years and most probably the club could stumble upon someone who can can dynamically engage with the fanbase and indeed the council so we can all hope for a brighter future. Project Fenty was over a long time ago, and now Peaks Parkway is dead in the water. You've put your best efforts in, you've had your go at living out a dream, it's time to wake up and realise it was just one big nightmare, not only for you, but for every poor sod else who has had to put up with easily the worst sustained period on and off the pitch in our club's long and proud history..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 76
jamesgtfc
November 1, 2018, 12:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Getting back to financial performance, it looks like the sacking of Slade has prevented us turning a small profit.

The political jibe is disappointing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 76
Abdul19
November 1, 2018, 12:32pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
I prefer to think of it as the sacking of Slade prevented a larger loss.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 76
jamesgtfc
November 1, 2018, 12:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Abdul19
I prefer to think of it as the sacking of Slade prevented a larger loss.

The sacking of Slade has certainly prevented a disastrous 2018/19 financial performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Financial results

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.