16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerMal
September 8, 2018, 6:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
I would be interested to know what position the people, who think Jolley's time is coming to an end, expected us to finish this year?

Personally, I thought we would start poorly but slowly improve during the season possibly ending with a mid-table finish, I think I have stated that previously on here.

We had an awful team last season thanks to Mr Slade. The fact that Jolley kept us up with the players we had should buy him a little time this season, at least. We can't expect him to turn last season's squad into a promotion chasing squad overnight.

There is an awful lot wrong at this football club and much of it comes from the board room. But from what I have heard Jolley has been putting things in place off the pitch. The training sessions are better, the coaching is better and these things will take time to bear fruit but I'm confident they will eventually.

Jolley is not above criticism though. I think he has tactically made mistakes this season and he seems to be chopping and changing far too much. However, I'm sure from each defeat he will learn more and more about his players. Who can do what and who struggles doing what he asks. He himself is a young manager learning, so we have to expect he'll make errors too.

The last thing this club needs atm is another change of manager. Give him time and unless we have been disastrous from now to approaching Christmas, I wouldn't even dream of getting rid of him this season.

A 4-0 defeat is hard to take but treat your misery with a degree of perspective and patience it'll make things easier.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 150
sydney
September 8, 2018, 6:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
4-0 Jeez
Very Worried
Can I ask those who have been today (couldn’t make it)
If, overall, are we moving forward or backwards?
Does MJ know what he is doing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 150
Swansea_Mariner
September 8, 2018, 7:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Would a Director of Football or some other experienced mentor/consultant type appointment help?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 150
Cod Cheeks
September 8, 2018, 7:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374

So do I. I am not Lew by the way, I am his lover, metaphorically speaking.

Oops sorry 😐
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 150
Roast Em Bobby
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,724
Gold Stars: 44
I'm concerned by the last 3 league performances, but also retain optimism from the games that we've played well in. We are in desperate need of Wes Thomas starting games in order to give us a focal point up front. At the back we need some stability in terms of a settled line-up. Personally I'd drop Collins and put Davis back in at centre back with Whitmore. Hendrie or RHJ at rightback and Famewo at left back and then stick with it for good few games. Macca does worry me though with his inability to dominate his 6 yard box - been at fault for a fair few goals this season - though I wouldn't drop him for now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 150
grimsby pete

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from sydney
4-0 Jeez
Very Worried
Can I ask those who have been today (couldn’t make it)
If, overall, are we moving forward or backwards?
Does MJ know what he is doing?

Most of the time we were moving sideways and backwards today,

With the occasional long punt up field that came straight back.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 150
HertsGTFC
September 8, 2018, 7:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,992
Gold Stars: 228
We where never going to tear up trees In reality and I’d always thought that lower mid table would be around the place we’d finish.

I sense today from what he said on RH that MJ went for a shape based upon the team we where playing and to deal with their perceived threat, it didn’t work maybe because players at our level can’t adapt to week in week out shape change, in my view for various reasons I don’t think our best 11 was available today.

My big concern was that heads went down and after Welsh went off we looked leaderless and meek, can MJ lift them for next week?

Get everyone fit & available settle to a shape & pattern and we’ll be ok but “just” ok.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 150
arryarryarry
September 8, 2018, 7:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Mikoo
FFS it's 7 games in. The man performed miracles last season with a shite squad. It'll take time, he's a new manager learning his trade and will go from strength to strength.

It'll be a season of inconsistencies, anybody can see that with how we've played from game to game. We'll be midtable and push on next season. Grow up with these threads and stop talking balderdash

Did you go today, we have had constant player changes, constant formation changes and some of his signings look poor.

If we are in the bottom 4 come the start of January then serious questions have to be asked if he has got what it takes to manage at this level.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 150
geir
September 8, 2018, 7:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
After saving us from certain relegation last season, he can do whatever he wants this season, except taking us down.

The game today was terrible, but I do think things will improve slowly, but steadily. Give him and the team the time to get things right. Have a little patience, folks. At this time the team and the manager need all of our support more than ever.

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 150
Maringer
September 8, 2018, 7:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,669
Gold Stars: 189
Too much chopping and changing with the formation and line-up, but this has been necessary to some degree because of injuries and suspensions. We've barely had any of the full-backs available this season which is why we've lined up with four centre backs on occasion. I'm a bit bemused by some of the formations Jolley has attempted when we just don't have any wide players in the squad. Hopefully there is a method in the madness and we'll see more of the sorts of performances against Lincoln, Macclesfield and BFS than the FGR/Bury sort.

The other issue is that the players we've signed in recent weeks who ought to improve the team have come a bit late and lacking in fitness. If Thomas and Pringle had been here during pre-season, they may well have improved things (going on their previous pedigree).

Anybody biting on the hooks the usual trolls are dangling should take a step back and not get their knickers in a twist so much. A long, long way to go this season and we've shown enough in some games to indicate we'll be at least mid-table, despite the couple of stinkers as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 150
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many games do you give Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.