Ipswin
September 9, 2018, 3:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from GrimRob

I can't imagine there are many days in the year when you wake up with a positive feeling Swin.

On Christmas Day this year it will be 60 years since I first watched Grimsby Town

If you reach that milestone lets see how flipping positive you feel

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 150
MarinerMal
September 9, 2018, 4:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Hammered by Slade's equipment?

Sorry, but total BS.

Yesterday's team..

McKeown - MJ new contract
Davis - MJ signing
Whitmore - MJ signing
Collins - MJ new contract
Fox - MJ signing
Welsh - MJ signing
Woolford - MJ new contract
M Rose - RS signing
Hessenthaler - MJ signing
Clifton - MJ new contract
Cook - MJ signing

Famewo - MJ signing
Vernam - MJ signing
Hooper - RS signing

So, 12 of the 14 who featured yesterday are either MJ signings or he gave them new contracts.

To apportion even a fraction of the blame for our current plight on RS is frankly ridiculous.

MJ was given everything he asked for during pre-season. The same things that weren't given to Hurst that lead to him walking. He needs to deliver ASAP.

But he managed to save the football club with 'Slade`s Equipment', in which Slade couldn't find a victory with but Jolley managed to find 3 with. Without boring everybody to death with anti-football either.

This year, we have a lot of new players, we've had a lot of chopping and changing. Some necessary, some self inflicted. But it is 7 games ffs. Slade went 12 games without a win and just 4 points before he was relieved of his position. At least we have 5 points from 7 games already.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 150
Cloudy
September 9, 2018, 4:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Ipswin

On Christmas Day this year it will be 60 years since I first watched Grimsby Town

And 40 since you last saw them?
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 150
Ipswin
September 9, 2018, 5:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Cloudy

And 40 since you last saw them?

Unfortunately not I witnessed last years gutless performance at Cambridge and sadly I expect no change this season either

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 150
Maringer
September 9, 2018, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
One other point to consider is that Cardwell started most of the games after Jolley took charge last season. I've questioned where our 'physical presence' up front will come with the forwards who have been playing but perhaps Cardwell's absence through injury has messed up plans more than you might think. I don't imagine he'll ever score that many, but as a hard-working and mobile big bloke up front with a bit of ability, perhaps he would enable our more skilful forwards to show their stuff?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 150
Mrs Doyle
September 9, 2018, 8:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Never heard so much shite less than ten games in and asking how many games the manager should get.  ???

THIS POST NEEDS AN  ENEMA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 150
promotion plaice
September 9, 2018, 8:31pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Never heard so much shite less than ten games in and asking how many games the manager should get.  ???

THIS POST NEEDS AN  ENEMA.

Don't be so hard on yourself, I think your post is OK  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 150
Gaffer58
September 9, 2018, 8:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Ipswin

Ipswin, don't want to spoil the surprise but Mr Fenty is arranging a special presentation for you at this years Boxing Day game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 150
GollyGTFC
September 10, 2018, 6:08am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from GrimRob

Don't forget there are still a few players on big contracts who might not play much but are still eating up a large part of the wage bill that might be spent on better players.

There are only 4 player contracts that predate Jolley becoming manager...

JJ Hooper
Mitch Rose
Paul Dixon
Harry Cardwell

The fact that 3 have played fairly regularly (when not suspended) and the other was a regular at the end of last season but is injured suggests that MJ is happy with them. If he wasn’t he could have tried to move them on like Sam Kelly.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 78 - 150
diehardmariner
September 10, 2018, 9:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Far too early to even think about sacking anyone, at any club.  Yes we're in a bad position in the league and more worrying is the poor performances, but a season has never finished after 7 games.

I share the concerns about the constant chopping and changing of system, style and players.  I find it very difficult to argue with the Bignot comparisons if I'm honest.  Jolley, like Bignot, talks a good game and says the right things.  He talks about a style and a Grimsby way, as did Bignot.  Jolley has also built a squad that is somewhat lopsided, we don't have any width yet options galore in central areas.  That all said I think you can find enough comparisons with any two people if you look hard enough.

Hall-Johnson, Pringle, Embleton, Cardwell and Thomas are all to come back/in and potentially will change how the side looks altogether.  In Pringle and Thomas there's proven quality at a level higher than that, in attacking areas.  That can't be overlooked and how much of an impact they could make.  Cardwell was absolutely key to the turnaround last season, I think his role is often overlooked.  I think a front three of Cardwell, Cook and Thomas would cause no end of problems to teams and would also mitigate our lack of natural width.

The OP was quite rightly shot down for suggesting we should put a time-frame on Jolley's tenure.  But I don't think it's right that we can just say 'In Jolley We Trust'.  Yes he's trying to build something, yes he has to be given time to do so.  However we also have to make sure we don't get dragged into a relegation scrap either.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 150
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many games do you give Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.