Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many games do you give Jolley
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 319 Guests

How many games do you give Jolley

This thread currently has 20,745 views. Print
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
September 11, 2018, 6:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I do believe it was always a gamble with MJ, but I still I think it's one that will pay off, as I've stated before this is now all but his team including backroom staff and everyone knows to get the players to build partnerships, settle into a set way of playing will take time and as yet MJ has admitted he hasn't had the 11 starters he wants available to him yet, once this happens then the true judgement can start...The team is evolving, unlike the board which needs dissolving!!...
Will add this, got to give MJ another transfer window but, and a big but, if with a dozen games to go to the end of the season we are staring down the barrel of non league and our play hasn't improved then and only then should his tenure be questioned

All managers are a gamble, even successful ones sometimes struggle to recreate the same success when they move. He either gets results and everyone is happy, or he doesn't and gets fired.

It is nearly impossible for a manager to build for the long term, because six straight defeats and he is normally on his way. Everything has to be looked at through the prism of the first team results, and I certainly would not wait till we are "staring down the barrel of non league" before making a change.

I am sure it won't come to that; I am praying it won't come to that but Michael Jolley will know he has to get results or his dream of reinventing the club will come to an early end.

Lets hope the first good result comes on Saturday - I am looking forward to seeing Wes Thomas as I am really hoping he will make a big difference.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 150
rancido
September 11, 2018, 7:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from arryarryarry

Or some of our players are just not very good.

……..at taking onboard instructions. Yes I agree.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 150
Grim74
September 11, 2018, 7:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
I think we all want him to succeed but I’m realistic enough to expect a lower half position for his first season. But if we are in a relegation spot at the start of the new year then we need a change, Jolley is a clever man I’m sure he would know this.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 150
Poojah
September 11, 2018, 9:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,473
Gold Stars: 1,500
Let’s be honest, football management is one of the most results-based and cut throat professions anywhere in the sporting and business world.

We find ourselves in the early stages of a season following a narrow escape from relegation (thanks to Jolley no less) looking unlikely to win a league game right now and with only three sides below us in the league. One of those, Notts County, I expect to pull away sooner rather than later leaving only Macclesfield and Morecambe who do at least look like they’re there for the long haul.

It will ultimately come down results and nothing else.

What about Jolley’s unique back story? His Cambridge education. His 9/11 experience. The fact he gave up a promising and lucrative trading career to pursue his dream of an unlikely career in football.

The fact that he seems to be a genuinely nice bloke. Intelligent. Articulate. Sincere. That he commits his own time to good local causes. To commitments outside of his basic job description. That he turns up at people’s birthday barbecues?

His youth? His apparently modern approach to coaching and the game in general. That he seems to want to play football the right way. The fact he kept us up last season, somehow, when all hope seemed lost?

I, I think like most Town fans, like and admire all of those things about Michael Jolley. But what do they mean, really?

Not a lot, most likely. Perhaps at most, that he would get an additional two or three games to turn things around should things get really sticky, than an otherwise less likeable character might be afforded.

Don’t get me wrong, we’re not there yet - not by a long shot. But if push comes to shove, and results don’t improve he’ll find himself staring down the same barrel as Marcus Bignot and Russell Slade.

I hope upon hope that never comes to fruition, because I think given time Grimsby Town and Michael Jolley could be really good for one another. But it would be naive to think that his likeable character makes him impervious to failure or the sack. A result and performance on Saturday would go a long way at the minute...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 150
grimsby pete
September 13, 2018, 1:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
There is nothing wrong with Jolley its the players that are at fault,

BUT

They will learn and we will get better,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 150
lukeo
September 13, 2018, 6:56am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Aslong as we pick up some results and aren't in the bottom 3 or 4 after 15 games I'm happy to give him the season. I still believe he will start to pick up points sooner rather than later...  Anyone remember kidderminster quite a few years back (can't remember exact year) I think they lost like the first 5 games and was at the bottom for the first 15 odd games then came flying up the league and just missed out on promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 150
Mrs Doyle
September 13, 2018, 7:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Bet when we start wining matches this board will go quite. They do like a good moan on the Fishy.😱😱😱
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 150
Garth
September 13, 2018, 7:50am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Bet when we start wining matches this board will go quite. They do like a good moan on the Fishy.😱😱😱

Go quite what? mental or just quiet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 150
Ipswin
September 13, 2018, 9:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete
There is nothing wrong with Jolley its the players that are at fault,

According to Jolley

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 150
oochiad
September 14, 2018, 9:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 27
You can’t blame Jolley for Whitmore’s poor pass that gave Bury their first goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 150
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many games do you give Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.