chaos33
September 14, 2018, 9:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Poojah
Let’s be honest, football management is one of the most results-based and cut throat professions anywhere in the sporting and business world.

We find ourselves in the early stages of a season following a narrow escape from relegation (thanks to Jolley no less) looking unlikely to win a league game right now and with only three sides below us in the league. One of those, Notts County, I expect to pull away sooner rather than later leaving only Macclesfield and Morecambe who do at least look like they’re there for the long haul.

It will ultimately come down results and nothing else.

What about Jolley’s unique back story? His Cambridge education. His 9/11 experience. The fact he gave up a promising and lucrative trading career to pursue his dream of an unlikely career in football.

The fact that he seems to be a genuinely nice bloke. Intelligent. Articulate. Sincere. That he commits his own time to good local causes. To commitments outside of his basic job description. That he turns up at people’s birthday barbecues?

His youth? His apparently modern approach to coaching and the game in general. That he seems to want to play football the right way. The fact he kept us up last season, somehow, when all hope seemed lost?

I, I think like most Town fans, like and admire all of those things about Michael Jolley. But what do they mean, really?

Not a lot, most likely. Perhaps at most, that he would get an additional two or three games to turn things around should things get really sticky, than an otherwise less likeable character might be afforded.

Don’t get me wrong, we’re not there yet - not by a long shot. But if push comes to shove, and results don’t improve he’ll find himself staring down the same barrel as Marcus Bignot and Russell Slade.

I hope upon hope that never comes to fruition, because I think given time Grimsby Town and Michael Jolley could be really good for one another. But it would be naive to think that his likeable character makes him impervious to failure or the sack. A result and performance on Saturday would go a long way at the minute...

Good post I reckon.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 150
ginnywings
September 14, 2018, 10:34am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from oochiad
You can’t blame Jolley for Whitmore’s poor pass that gave Bury their first goal.

Yes you can. Mistakes lead to losses and losses lead back to the manager. Ultimately, the manager carries the can for poor results, whatever the reason.

If your results are poor, it's comes down to more than just individual errors. We are the classic under performing side at present. Conceding way more than we are scoring. If the manager cannot stop that, we and he will be in trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 150
devs
September 14, 2018, 1:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Often wondered what advocates of the 'give manager about 7/8 games' think we should do in the following scenario
Results don't improve
Only 1 win after 10/12 games
MJ departs
New boss comes in and wins first two
Then loses 6 on the bounce

Do we then get rid of another?

and so on and so on....

MJ has had 30 games in his whole managerial career - he proved end of last season he has some special qualities
Surely no point in going for someone like him if we are not prepared for perhaps more downs than ups in first season

If by end of Nov we are bottom and 5/6 points off safety then of course you might have to look at it - but take FGR

I thought Cooper was nailed on to get the sack las year - they stuck with him - they reached safety - this season (sadly!) they are flying

The endless merry go round gets tedious - and 100% nailed on we will get a 'Slade' type as a new boss cos board will not go down the inexperienced route again... fingers burned and all that

MJ not had his best team on the pitch yet - I'm convinced Thomas, Pringle and Embleton will improve things in final third and results will pick up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 150
September 14, 2018, 1:44pm
Guest User
Reply: 123 - 150
Ipswin
September 14, 2018, 3:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from 140067

So you're saying he should go when we are relegated?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 150
September 14, 2018, 3:39pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin

So you're saying he should go when we are relegated?

We won't be relegated. I'm saying give him a season at least.
Reply: 125 - 150
Northbank Mariner
September 23, 2018, 8:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Time to resurrect this thread.....how any games are we thinking now??...
Me, personally I'd give him 6 more games, that's enough time to have all the squad bar 1 fit and at his disposal....should get at least 3-games out of the next 6 with a settled starting 11 and maybe more of a feel of exactly where we are going under Jolleys stewardship...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 150
Yoda
September 23, 2018, 8:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,161
Gold Stars: 71
I think another home defeat against Morecombe and we could be bottom of the league Fenty will pull the trigger.

He won’t make the same mistake again as he did with Slade.

Jim Bentley will have Morecombe fires up for this match I cannot see MJ doing the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 150
GrimRob
September 23, 2018, 8:37pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 128 - 150
KingstonMariner
September 23, 2018, 9:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Time to resurrect this thread.....how any games are we thinking now??...
Me, personally I'd give him 6 more games, that's enough time to have all the squad bar 1 fit and at his disposal....should get at least 3-games out of the next 6 with a settled starting 11 and maybe more of a feel of exactly where we are going under Jolleys stewardship...

Then if we get another long term injury or two?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 150
16 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many games do you give Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.