Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tomorrow evening
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 207 Guests

Tomorrow evening

This thread currently has 27,185 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
September 5, 2018, 8:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Pleased for the win

Gives valuable playing time to fringe players

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 219
wiggers
September 5, 2018, 8:40am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
Very disappointed the turnout was higher than 500. We as fans need to stick together on this issue. This competition is an absolute disgrace. All these kids playing for youth Premiershite clubs most of who will never get anywhere near their first teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 219
MarinerMal
September 5, 2018, 9:05am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Get off your soapbox mate, money talks and if we got to Wembley most would still go.

I don't like the premshite but hey ho if we ever got there Blundell Park would not be big enough..............................and I don't just mean for away fans either.

You don't seem to understand this issue. It is not that we are against the Premier League per se but against the idea of the Premier League teams having 'B' teams in the lower leagues.

'B' teams in the lower leagues is purely to feed the big English teams greed. They accumulate huge squads and acquire most of the best young players and then realise they can't get them enough competitive game time. So they tried to float the idea of 'B' teams because they see the likes of Spain and other continental leagues doing it. What they fail to realise or do not appreciate, is that the English League has so much depth when compared to other Leagues around Europe there absolutely no need for 'B' teams. If they want players to develop through game time then loan them out. If you can't loan enough out, then don't have so many.

The 3 lower Leagues with 'B' teams was rejected out of hand and so they came back with this a abomination of a cup competition.

Why? They tell us because it will help develop English talent. This is clearly a lie, see how many English players Man City fielded in the Chuckaway Trophy this week. No, the only reason for this competition is so people can get used to seeing 'B' teams in the guise of U23 teams. Then people will get used to it and when that happens they will put there 'B' team idea forward again. Then when allowed it will destroy lower league football and teams clinging on to their football league place will find they are playing non-league regional football again. That could well be us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 219
forza ivano
September 5, 2018, 9:12am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from wiggers
Very disappointed the turnout was higher than 500. We as fans need to stick together on this issue. This competition is an absolute disgrace. All these kids playing for youth Premiershite clubs most of who will never get anywhere near their first teams.

agreed.

fair play to the scunts who only had 800 odd for their match

disappointing number of crowds were in 4 figures (just) but other highlights include the 724 at Burton, the 639 at macc and big congratulations to Colchester who only attracted 532 fans to their match
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 219
Mariner_09
September 5, 2018, 9:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I now feel it’s just a waste of time boycotting now. I didn’t like the idea but, controversially, I agreed with Fenty with regards the competition was dying and needed re-energising because, as Lincoln showed, there is some money to be made from it. However, there would have been other ways to give it a reboot. Group stages that were just regional (Us, Scunny, Lincoln and Donny for example). I won’t be complaining that much if we make a wod of cash out of it as that’s good for the club. If we gef out the group and give Jolley a bigger budget to get these players from Sweden that he wants then how can anybody complain? Yes it isn’t ideal but I can’t see B teams coming into league football anytime soon. Nobody wants that, only 8 clubs need to reject it.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 219
ska face
September 5, 2018, 9:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Can anyone name this Brave 8 that are gonna stand up to the moneymen and turn down the Premiership, make enemies of everyone at the FA, National Team set-up and Football League, and also take the money off all the other teams in the league? Who’s gonna be sat at their boozy Portugal meeting, looking everyone else in the eye and say “no, because we value what 3000 of our fans think”?

Because it’s certainly not going to be any fornicator in our boardroom.
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 219
chelseacity
September 5, 2018, 9:58am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
The thing is last night GTFC earned £10,000 for winning, then they receive £20,000 for participating in the Competition, so that's £30,000 so far banked with another couple of wins in this 1st round that's another £10,000 per win which could make them £50,000 before round 2,  which is then £20,000 per win, what i'm saying here is our club can make some easy cash from this Comp which is what we all want for our club isn't it ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 219
Cloudy
September 5, 2018, 10:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Get off your soapbox mate, money talks and if we got to Wembley most would still go.

I don't like the premshite but hey ho if we ever got there Blundell Park would not be big enough..............................and I don't just mean for away fans either.

Soapbox, it is a message forum to discuss views and opinions isnt it?

I for one would not go to Wembley, Rochdale, or wherever Southamptons under 21's play. A bit of money may well help but IMHO that is short termism and the survival of lower league football should not be able to be bought.

The competition did need a revamp but they could have done that by having local derbies in a group stage, to boost interest,tighter regional draws and then the north v south final.

IF they did that from next year i bet the crowds, the interest and the game time for our own players would increase rather than giving a run out to the Charlie Adam's of this world!
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 219
grimsby pete
September 5, 2018, 10:17am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
I paid £10 to watch the game on I follow for the following reasons,

1. Living in Suffolk I do not get to many games for a lot of reasons,

2. I wanted to see Thomas start his first game and I was impressed.

3. I love my club and want to see them play as often as possible.

BUT

I do not agree with this B team thing and will not watch the games that include them.

If I still lived in Grimsby I would attend every home game but would boycott this cup.

BUT

I am living in Suffolk and only get the chance to see us play on a few occasions in a season so I can not sit at home watching boring programmes on the TV when I can watch my team play.

So you decide if I am a scab or not I am not really bothered.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 219
MarinerMal
September 5, 2018, 10:26am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Mariner_09
I now feel it’s just a waste of time boycotting now. I didn’t like the idea but, controversially, I agreed with Fenty with regards the competition was dying and needed re-energising because, as Lincoln showed, there is some money to be made from it. However, there would have been other ways to give it a reboot. Group stages that were just regional (Us, Scunny, Lincoln and Donny for example). I won’t be complaining that much if we make a wod of cash out of it as that’s good for the club. If we gef out the group and give Jolley a bigger budget to get these players from Sweden that he wants then how can anybody complain? Yes it isn’t ideal but I can’t see B teams coming into league football anytime soon. Nobody wants that, only 8 clubs need to reject it.

That is exactly the sort of attitude the Premier League wants and believes it will get. You seem to be proving they are winning.

If the competition was dying (evidence? and attendances are lower now) then it wasn't wanted and should have been allowed to die. But no, the Lower League clubs saw a chance of a bit of cash from the PL so allowed them to open the door to 'B' teams a crack. The PL now knows it is just a matter of time and and how big the 'wod of cash' needs to be before they retry the idea of 'B' teams.

You really can't see 'B' teams coming in really? Wow, I think you need to open your eyes. What is the point of this competition of not for that? Developing young English talent? Clearly not. Convoluted rules on who can play and who can't play to suit the Premier League sides.

'B' teams may not be here in the next, two or three years but believe me, the more people like yourself who start to justify to themselves why they are going, the larger the crowds, the more used people get to seeing these games against 'B' teams disguised as U23's. The more accepted it will become. Until eventually the question will be, how much for Grimsby Town's place in the football League to accommodate one of our 'B' teams?

Still... if we make a 'wod of cash' right???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 219
22 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tomorrow evening

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.