Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tomorrow evening
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 204 Guests

Tomorrow evening

This thread currently has 27,188 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
September 4, 2018, 11:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Mariner1980

No, I'm not gay. Sorry.
Besides tonight was relevant. They're in our league and currently floating about round us.

What has sexuality got to do with this? Genuinely can't see why you have brought that up?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 219
KingstonMariner
September 4, 2018, 11:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Despite all the SHHIT spouted on here a win is a win and we came back from behind for once.

As Maggi Thatcher once said during the Falklands conflict;

"JUST REJOICE AT THAT GOOD NEWS."

Good news in a war that might not have happened without her cuts to the navy making it look like we weren't committed to the Falklands, on top of encouraging British business to sell arms to fascist illegitimates so they could shoot at Britons.

Apart from that, it's a fitting comment.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 219
Mariner1980
September 4, 2018, 11:08pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +118
Fiance is male.
Fiancee, female. I was being pedantic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 219
forza ivano
September 4, 2018, 11:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,171
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Hagrid
Bloody hell a cup win. And 10 grand

Trump was right all along

Fake news!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 219
immariner
September 4, 2018, 11:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Mariner1980

No, I'm not gay. Sorry.
Besides tonight was relevant. They're in our league and currently floating about round us.

Ha Pedantic about my spelling when you didn't spell fiancée correctly either? Come on now.

Relevant to what? This wasn't a league game. If you're against U21 sides in the competition, are you not legitimising their inclusion by going to any of the games? If you aren't against U21 teams, then fair do's, there's little point in chatting about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 219
Mariner1980
September 4, 2018, 11:23pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +118
I'm on my phone, I've no idea how to add accents on it!
And no, if we'd been playing an u21 team I wouldn't have gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 219
BackHeelTony
September 4, 2018, 11:51pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Gold Stars: 1
Although we may not like the competition, there was still plenty to take from the game

We won
Andrew Fox and Luke Hendrie got some much needed game time and got better as the Match went on
Wes Thomas played 90 mins and looked a real threat
Harry Clifton is not ready to play centre mid yet
Louis Roubles is not ready to play any position yet.
JJ Hooper is much more effective in a more central role and when he puts some effort in
Akeem Rose is a real prospect
Mitch Rose can still take penalties
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 219
Mighty_Mariner
September 5, 2018, 12:31am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I don't mind admitting I was there tonight, albeit in a working capacity.

First Half: Thought Notts County started brightly and bossed it for the first 20-25 minutes and deservedly took the lead through a decent Amesandra goal. Town came back into it and played some decent stuff leading up to half time and finished the stronger. Could have equalised through a well-crafted Wes Thomas effort that just bounced wide when he hit over the keeper.

Second half: Much like the first half early on, Notts had a good 5 or 10 minute spell but Town took control from there on out. Mitch Rose had a stormer of a second half and played some top class balls over the top, one of which led to Thomas hitting the bar on the half-volley and the other leading to Vernam being fouled for the penalty. Was very impressed with Towns energy, creativity and endeavor, they pressed County high up the pitch and forced them into either making a mistake or punting it high upfield which Whitmore and Famewo ate up!

What impressed me most second half was some of the interplay between the players, its clear they've been working on their technical attributes in training. There was one moment in the second where Town went from defending a corner to having a shot on goal with 3 or 4 quick incisive passes, would have been a terrific goal.

For what it's worth:

Russell: Couldn't do much about the goal. Made some good saves, commanded his area well and distribution very good at times. 7/10

Hendrie: I really like this lad. Seems to get better with each appearance, strong, mobile, gets forward very well and good on the ball. RHJ will have a job getting back in IMO. 7.5/10

Whitmore: Impressive again. Won everything in the air, rarely loses out in a tackle and very positionally aware. A rock solid, no nonsense centre half. 7/10

Famewo: More cultured that Whitmore but equally as impressive. Very assured in the ball, at one point beating two men to bring the ball out of defence to set up a Town attack. Fast, athletic and an excellent foil for Whitmore. 7.5/10

Fox: Eased into the game, sensibly so given his recent return from injury. Provided a nice balance on the left and got forward well. Seemed to communicate well with Hendrie in knowing when to bomb forward and when to hang back. If he can stay fit then we've got 2 very good full backs for this level. 7/10

Rose: Quiet first half but probably his best display in a Town shirt second half. Controlled the ball well, some excellent, accurate first-time balls forward and seemed to thrive with the armband. Really liked how he filled in a full back when Hendrie went forward and created some good chances from deep. 8/10

Clifton: Typical Harry performance, full of energy and running, created some decent chances and worked well with Rose. I'd just like to see him start to effect games a little more but that will come with experience. 6.5/10

Vernam: Good display, quick, skillful, creative and hard working. Deserved a goal tonight but they'll come. Has to be in the starting XI regularly for me. 7.5/10

Hooper: One decent run first half but other than that pretty anonymous. When Town were attacking first half, a ball was played into JJ but he was so static it was intercepted easily and County broke upfield, it only needed him to be on his toes and move toward the ball but it seemed he backed out when he realised it was a 50/50. For me he has to show a lot more to justify a starting berth. He gets nowhere near the starting XI when everyone is available IMO. A weak link. 5/10

Robles: Full of pressing and endeavour and actually showed some good strength, pace and technique first half, better when he moved out to the right. A raw talent but certainly something there to work with and develop without doubt. More impressed than I thought I would be but still a way of the starting XI for me. 6.5/10

Thomas: Had a good game tonight. Showed some excellent positional sense and movement to beat the offside trap first half, chip over the on-rushing keeper and was unlucky to see it bounce narrowly wide. More good movement to get on the end of a Rose ball over the top, got in front of his market and only the crossbar stopped him opening his GTFC account with a great half-volley. You can see his experience, his movement and hold up play is excellent at times and he brings others into play well. If he gets decent service he will get goals this season, of that I have no doubt. 8/10

Subs:

Cook: Some bright moments and decent interplay but didn't have the impact I thought he might against a tiring defence. Interesting that he played on the left which is where I can see him fitting in best once Thomas is over his suspension and up to speed. 6/10

Hessenthaler : Another cracking display from the young lad and for me has been one of the best players this season. Has all the attributes to be an excellent midfielder for us. Provided energy, drive and creativity. I can only see him going from strength to strength. Deserved his goal. 7/10

A Rose
: Got 10 minutes at the end and did well. Looked nervous initially and showed his inexperience by putting the ball out of play when under no pressure. Grew in confidence though and almost scored with a terrific turn and shot from 20 yards that the keeper did well to turn around the post at full stretch which led the corner in which we scored the winning goal. Will be interesting to see what part he plays this season but I get the impression we'll see him in the squad more often than not and could start to get some minutes the more the season wears on. All the attributes to do very well but will need time to develop, you can't teach pace and this lad has it in abundance. He will terrify league 2 defenders. Under the right coaching team to develop into a really exciting player for us. 6.5/10

I know this competition is detested by most and I wholeheartedly respect everybody's opinion, but as others have said it could be just the right format to develop attributes within the team. We either throw in the towel and play the kids or use it to our advantage & utilise the competition to develop the team and I feel that's what we did tonight.

All in all, It was a very good run out against a strong, experienced Notts County side that were all out to impress their new manager.

A lot of positive to take from tonight in my opinion and you could see from the goal celebrations from the players, subs, management /coaching  team the value they place in building a winning mentality, regardless of the competition.... League 2, FA Cup, Checkatrade Trophy, Lincs Senior Cup etc etc.... A win is a win and we have a good platform to build upon.

#UTM

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 219
Mighty_Mariner
September 5, 2018, 12:46am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Mariner1980
Fiance is male.
Fiancee, female. I was being pedantic.

But, if said fiance/fiancee is in fact your betrothed, then presumably at some point you have either asked or agreed to marriage with said fiance /fiancee... therefore falling in line with your sexually.

I'm being pedantic!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 219
Grim74
September 5, 2018, 8:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
I see the Lincoln scabs we’re out in force last night over 4500! Premiership clubs will welcome this well done 👍

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 219
22 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tomorrow evening

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.