This thread currently has 7,142 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
August 6, 2018, 4:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
On the plus side we're only 21st in the league because of goal difference!

The season's a marathon, not a sprint, so there's time yet to hopefully undo the poor display on Saturday. Am sure MJ and his management team will not want to see the fans streaming out of BP in their hundreds as they did on Saturday. I am fairly confident the issues will be addressed and we'll see a totally different performance on Saturday.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 53
Northbank Mariner
August 6, 2018, 4:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Think it was a shock to jolleys system as much as it was ours, one lives in hope that he has the ability to learn, bloody quickly might I add, from the debacle that occured on Saturday.
I did wonder if it was "a rabbit in the headlights" situation but nearly all that team have played at grounds and for teams larger than ours so I doubt it completely...
Think the thing that happened was blind panic, the ball became a hot potato at our players feet and they couldn't wait to get rid, which it seemed every time they passed to a FGR player..
So in summary, yes MJ put the plan.in place but the players bottled it,  booted it as far as they dare hoping beyond all hope that our 5' 9" front man got his head on it!!...
If by xmas nothing has changed then things have to be looked at, very carefully....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 53
Grim74
August 6, 2018, 4:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
All this about managers today and their scientific coaching methods FA badges etc etc making them a better breed of manager is total BS. If it was possible to take Buckley from 1988 and put him in charge of this team pre- season I would put my mortgage on it that we wouldn't of played and lost so badly.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 53
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2018, 4:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,284
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from drbell
As an exile I did not witness what was clearly a performance so far from acceptable that most people seem genuinely shocked. However, no matter how bad that was, we surely need to give MJ a good deal of support.

As both his supporters and critics point out, he is an inexperienced manager. He will make mistakes. Clearly some have been made, which resulted in Saturdays performance. We simply do not yet know whether he is going to turn out to be a great, good, average or poor manager. Realistically we probably won't know for at least 5 years. Even if he turns out to be a great manager, he will still make a lot of mistakes over the next few weeks, months and years. Can anyone out there say that they don't look back on their early days in new roles and see lots of mistakes?

Personally, I am thrilled that we appointed someone with a high level of qualifications, who is clearly intelligent enough to consider many key aspects of what makes a successful side, and has a level of charisma which has endeared him to (most) fans and new signings alike.

Many (most?) voices on here were indeed echoing we need to give him time, with this years minimum target perhaps being consolidation in midtable. However, there seems to be some almost impossible requirement that despite finishing say mid table, we will win lots of games, play well in nearly all games, create lots of chances and score lots of goals, show we are usually better than the opposition, etc. It just doesn't work like that. If we finish midtable, we will look like world betters in a few games, look truly horrendous in others, and often be somewhere in the middle. If we are to achieve success, it will likely be a slow process as the bell curve of performances very slowly moves towards the positive.

I wish we could just all agree to get behind the manager, staff and the players this season, offering genuine 100% positive support for a period of time. This would give the whole team the time to learn from mistakes and improve, as well as making the crowd a genuine advantage in the bad games, as well as the good.

For the benefit of doubt, Saturday was in the 'truly horrendous' category.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 53
grimsby pete
August 6, 2018, 5:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
I think MJ is a very well educated young man with loads of idea's on how to play the game,

The problem might be that the players are not.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 53
Croxton
August 6, 2018, 6:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,021
Gold Stars: 34
One of the few Town players who would fit into FGR's positive, quick passing game is Hessenthaler. Throughout preseason he foraged for the ball, linked with forwards and attacked the box. Seems one of the fittest in the squad too.
If it was right to omit the out of sorts Fox, surely it was logical to play in form players especially at home?
I am hugely supportive of MJ and expect that someone had watched FGR and reported back. Gunning needed attacking on the deck from half time as he was in total command in the air.
The Cowleys were taking plenty of notes in the Upper Youngs when we played Donny and will have seen how we pass it around too much in our own half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 53
MarinerRob
August 6, 2018, 6:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted Text

Well last season he managed to get Slade's rubbish playing well but took him 5 games. I think we need to remember that the last 5 games of last season was 4 wins and a draw so his methods do work. He just needs a little time to get his new players working in his system.

And for people to tell him what to do and change back to 4-2-2 after 1 match is crazy. He's the manager and the future - a real breath of fresh air. Yes we played bad on Saturday, Forest Green looked good but for the two stupid goals given away it would not have seemed as bad. Still no points.

Even if no one else is looking forward to Saturday (although I'm sure the majority are) I am. I support Town and I believe that we will start to play well (and that Saturday was one of those nightmare games) And if we don't win I won't be calling for MJ's head. Anyone who is needs to take a long hard look at where Town should be going. We would be non league without MJ and that was a certainty. And that would have been bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 53
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2018, 8:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,284
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsby pete
I think MJ is a very well educated young man with loads of idea's on how to play the game,

The problem might be that the players were able to play it in pre season, we advertised how we were going to play, FGR scouted us and worked out our weaknesses.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 53
promotion plaice
August 6, 2018, 8:20pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 200

Michael Jolley will get plenty of time because it isn't us who decide and Mr Fenty has a history of sticking with managers in general.
Would love to know what Mr Fenty thought of Saturdays performance though.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 53
CodHead
August 6, 2018, 8:43pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +169
Quoted from drbell
As an exile I did not witness what was clearly a performance so far from acceptable that most people seem genuinely shocked. However, no matter how bad that was, we surely need to give MJ a good deal of support.

As both his supporters and critics point out, he is an inexperienced manager. He will make mistakes. Clearly some have been made, which resulted in Saturdays performance. We simply do not yet know whether he is going to turn out to be a great, good, average or poor manager. Realistically we probably won't know for at least 5 years. Even if he turns out to be a great manager, he will still make a lot of mistakes over the next few weeks, months and years. Can anyone out there say that they don't look back on their early days in new roles and see lots of mistakes?

Personally, I am thrilled that we appointed someone with a high level of qualifications, who is clearly intelligent enough to consider many key aspects of what makes a successful side, and has a level of charisma which has endeared him to (most) fans and new signings alike.

Many (most?) voices on here were indeed echoing we need to give him time, with this years minimum target perhaps being consolidation in midtable. However, there seems to be some almost impossible requirement that despite finishing say mid table, we will win lots of games, play well in nearly all games, create lots of chances and score lots of goals, show we are usually better than the opposition, etc. It just doesn't work like that. If we finish midtable, we will look like world betters in a few games, look truly horrendous in others, and often be somewhere in the middle. If we are to achieve success, it will likely be a slow process as the bell curve of performances very slowly moves towards the positive.

I wish we could just all agree to get behind the manager, staff and the players this season, offering genuine 100% positive support for a period of time. This would give the whole team the time to learn from mistakes and improve, as well as making the crowd a genuine advantage in the bad games, as well as the good.

Exactly, completely agree post of the week  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we please give MJ some time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.