6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
drbell
August 6, 2018, 2:35pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
As an exile I did not witness what was clearly a performance so far from acceptable that most people seem genuinely shocked. However, no matter how bad that was, we surely need to give MJ a good deal of support.

As both his supporters and critics point out, he is an inexperienced manager. He will make mistakes. Clearly some have been made, which resulted in Saturdays performance. We simply do not yet know whether he is going to turn out to be a great, good, average or poor manager. Realistically we probably won't know for at least 5 years. Even if he turns out to be a great manager, he will still make a lot of mistakes over the next few weeks, months and years. Can anyone out there say that they don't look back on their early days in new roles and see lots of mistakes?

Personally, I am thrilled that we appointed someone with a high level of qualifications, who is clearly intelligent enough to consider many key aspects of what makes a successful side, and has a level of charisma which has endeared him to (most) fans and new signings alike.

Many (most?) voices on here were indeed echoing we need to give him time, with this years minimum target perhaps being consolidation in midtable. However, there seems to be some almost impossible requirement that despite finishing say mid table, we will win lots of games, play well in nearly all games, create lots of chances and score lots of goals, show we are usually better than the opposition, etc. It just doesn't work like that. If we finish midtable, we will look like world betters in a few games, look truly horrendous in others, and often be somewhere in the middle. If we are to achieve success, it will likely be a slow process as the bell curve of performances very slowly moves towards the positive.

I wish we could just all agree to get behind the manager, staff and the players this season, offering genuine 100% positive support for a period of time. This would give the whole team the time to learn from mistakes and improve, as well as making the crowd a genuine advantage in the bad games, as well as the good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
oldun
August 6, 2018, 2:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
MJ has said he wants another "window" to complete this year's squad, so we have to go along with the long game and deal with the highs and lows along the way. Sat was a low by the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 53
scott_gtfc_89
August 6, 2018, 2:41pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
I don’t know how people can moan, MJ didn’t get us going to the last 5 games of the season last season and I honestly believe if it wasn’t for MJ being here at the back end of last season we would be a non league team today.

We have got quite a new team, there going to need time to gel, yes Saturdays performance was unforgivable but let’s give the team time.

Rome wasn’t built over night.

Hopefully a proven goal scorer in before the window shuts and a couple of additions at WB.

We can’t base the season off one game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 53
denni266
August 6, 2018, 2:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
dont think any one is calling for his head on a block. just everyone could see that that was totally the wrong team, and set up to send out , and as he will soon learn .fans will let him know what we think good or bad.. But i do think  the gray goalkeepers kit needs binning today. Totally stupid and i am sure collins thought the steward was macca.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 53
August 6, 2018, 3:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from denni266
dont think any one is calling for his head on a block. just everyone could see that that was totally the wrong team, and set up to send out , and as he will soon learn .fans will let him know what we think good or bad.. But i do think  the gray goalkeepers kit needs binning today. Totally stupid and i am sure collins thought the steward was macca.

Why would he think that the steward was macca when he had been passing the ball back to him throughout the match with no problems.  Surely he knows the difference between orange and grey?  From what I saw of the highlights, it didn't look like collins was looking in the direction of the goal when he passed it back!

Reply: 4 - 53
marinerrick
August 6, 2018, 3:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
I honestly think that me and many of us and maybe the team too took too much for granted over Fgr. They will have come to us wanting revenge for last game of last season and also that day at Wembley. They have spent a great amount over summer as many others have said due to vince ploughing money in. Sat was bad but I think that this season will be productive especially when proven goal scorer is brought in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 53
louth_in_the_south
August 6, 2018, 3:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94
One thing we can all be sure about is that MJ will have taken Saturdays result badly . It’s clear that he’s a bloke who’s got a lot of ambition and won’t accept shi.te unlike some of previous managers and will be doing everything to get it right . One game doesn’t mean fook all , it was just the shock of the second half performance that’s surprised everyone.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 53
arryarryarry
August 6, 2018, 3:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from scott_gtfc_89
I don’t know how people can moan, MJ didn’t get us going to the last 5 games of the season last season and I honestly believe if it wasn’t for MJ being here at the back end of last season we would be a non league team today.

We have got quite a new team, there going to need time to gel, yes Saturdays performance was unforgivable but let’s give the team time.

Rome wasn’t built over night.

Hopefully a proven goal scorer in before the window shuts and a couple of additions at WB.

We can’t base the season off one game.

FFS

FGR seemed to have gelled OK.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 53
Garth
August 6, 2018, 4:00pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
I don't think I and many others took FGR for granted, we just expected to see a competitive game win or lose, what made me feel embarrassed hurt and basically ashamed was the spectacle that was served up, forty years of supporting Town and I've never seen so many people leave so early, I doubt a bomb scare would have been so effective. Its gone now and it's history, but the players and management somehow need to pay back the large support with a display that will ease some of the shock and hurt, over to you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 53
lew chaterleys lover
August 6, 2018, 4:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from drbell
As an exile I did not witness what was clearly a performance so far from acceptable that most people seem genuinely shocked. However, no matter how bad that was, we surely need to give MJ a good deal of support.

As both his supporters and critics point out, he is an inexperienced manager. He will make mistakes. Clearly some have been made, which resulted in Saturdays performance. We simply do not yet know whether he is going to turn out to be a great, good, average or poor manager. Realistically we probably won't know for at least 5 years. Even if he turns out to be a great manager, he will still make a lot of mistakes over the next few weeks, months and years. Can anyone out there say that they don't look back on their early days in new roles and see lots of mistakes?

Personally, I am thrilled that we appointed someone with a high level of qualifications, who is clearly intelligent enough to consider many key aspects of what makes a successful side, and has a level of charisma which has endeared him to (most) fans and new signings alike.

Many (most?) voices on here were indeed echoing we need to give him time, with this years minimum target perhaps being consolidation in midtable. However, there seems to be some almost impossible requirement that despite finishing say mid table, we will win lots of games, play well in nearly all games, create lots of chances and score lots of goals, show we are usually better than the opposition, etc. It just doesn't work like that. If we finish midtable, we will look like world betters in a few games, look truly horrendous in others, and often be somewhere in the middle. If we are to achieve success, it will likely be a slow process as the bell curve of performances very slowly moves towards the positive.

I wish we could just all agree to get behind the manager, staff and the players this season, offering genuine 100% positive support for a period of time. This would give the whole team the time to learn from mistakes and improve, as well as making the crowd a genuine advantage in the bad games, as well as the good.

He will be judged on results. On the face of it he seems our best hope of salvation for quite some time, but then again some of us thought that about Newell and Slade, but he will be judged like any manager on what happens on the field. Obviously he is well aware of that.

If results are shocking, then he will be sacked. If we are mid table and holding our own he will be given time, and if he does very well he will be poached! Take your pick of those which you prefer.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 53
jock dock tower
August 6, 2018, 4:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
On the plus side we're only 21st in the league because of goal difference!

The season's a marathon, not a sprint, so there's time yet to hopefully undo the poor display on Saturday. Am sure MJ and his management team will not want to see the fans streaming out of BP in their hundreds as they did on Saturday. I am fairly confident the issues will be addressed and we'll see a totally different performance on Saturday.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 53
Northbank Mariner
August 6, 2018, 4:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Think it was a shock to jolleys system as much as it was ours, one lives in hope that he has the ability to learn, bloody quickly might I add, from the debacle that occured on Saturday.
I did wonder if it was "a rabbit in the headlights" situation but nearly all that team have played at grounds and for teams larger than ours so I doubt it completely...
Think the thing that happened was blind panic, the ball became a hot potato at our players feet and they couldn't wait to get rid, which it seemed every time they passed to a FGR player..
So in summary, yes MJ put the plan.in place but the players bottled it,  booted it as far as they dare hoping beyond all hope that our 5' 9" front man got his head on it!!...
If by xmas nothing has changed then things have to be looked at, very carefully....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 53
Grim74
August 6, 2018, 4:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
All this about managers today and their scientific coaching methods FA badges etc etc making them a better breed of manager is total BS. If it was possible to take Buckley from 1988 and put him in charge of this team pre- season I would put my mortgage on it that we wouldn't of played and lost so badly.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 53
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2018, 4:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from drbell

For the benefit of doubt, Saturday was in the 'truly horrendous' category.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 53
grimsby pete
August 6, 2018, 5:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I think MJ is a very well educated young man with loads of idea's on how to play the game,

The problem might be that the players are not.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 53
Croxton
August 6, 2018, 6:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
One of the few Town players who would fit into FGR's positive, quick passing game is Hessenthaler. Throughout preseason he foraged for the ball, linked with forwards and attacked the box. Seems one of the fittest in the squad too.
If it was right to omit the out of sorts Fox, surely it was logical to play in form players especially at home?
I am hugely supportive of MJ and expect that someone had watched FGR and reported back. Gunning needed attacking on the deck from half time as he was in total command in the air.
The Cowleys were taking plenty of notes in the Upper Youngs when we played Donny and will have seen how we pass it around too much in our own half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 53
MarinerRob
August 6, 2018, 6:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted Text

Well last season he managed to get Slade's rubbish playing well but took him 5 games. I think we need to remember that the last 5 games of last season was 4 wins and a draw so his methods do work. He just needs a little time to get his new players working in his system.

And for people to tell him what to do and change back to 4-2-2 after 1 match is crazy. He's the manager and the future - a real breath of fresh air. Yes we played bad on Saturday, Forest Green looked good but for the two stupid goals given away it would not have seemed as bad. Still no points.

Even if no one else is looking forward to Saturday (although I'm sure the majority are) I am. I support Town and I believe that we will start to play well (and that Saturday was one of those nightmare games) And if we don't win I won't be calling for MJ's head. Anyone who is needs to take a long hard look at where Town should be going. We would be non league without MJ and that was a certainty. And that would have been bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 53
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2018, 8:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
I think MJ is a very well educated young man with loads of idea's on how to play the game,

The problem might be that the players were able to play it in pre season, we advertised how we were going to play, FGR scouted us and worked out our weaknesses.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 53
promotion plaice
August 6, 2018, 8:20pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Michael Jolley will get plenty of time because it isn't us who decide and Mr Fenty has a history of sticking with managers in general.
Would love to know what Mr Fenty thought of Saturdays performance though.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 53
CodHead
August 6, 2018, 8:43pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +169
Quoted from drbell

Exactly, completely agree post of the week  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 53
GrimRob
August 6, 2018, 9:27pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
I think Saturday was a wake-up call for him. He has had three months of unadulterated hero worship and he now has glimpsed the dark side of the job. None of our recent managers has really figured out how to get the best out of Blundell Park, it's been years since we had a really decent home record.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 53
Croxton
August 6, 2018, 9:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
So glad I chose the Upper Youngs for my first ever ST. I had flirted with the romantic notion of sitting in the famous old Main stand but eyesight issues forced a more pragmatic approach.
I am used to embarrassing behaviour from our fans on trains, in pubs and away grounds but we are generally kept under close watch. There seems to be a growing issue here for closer stewarding allied to a joint campaign with the club, Trust and SLO to remind fans of their responsibilities in areas where there are families, fans with disabilities and players relatives.
There are no police around ( let's not start on that today) and no clear club or EFL policy on signage, in the programme or anywhere.
Let's take legal advice, confer with EFL and fan groups and draft a policy.
If I stand up too long or sit in the wrong seat I can expect a swift reaction in most grounds. Why do we allow the stain of foulmouthed personal abuse to continue?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 53
lew chaterleys lover
August 6, 2018, 10:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Croxton
So glad I chose the Upper Youngs for my first ever ST. I had flirted with the romantic notion of sitting in the famous old Main stand but eyesight issues forced a more pragmatic approach.
I am used to embarrassing behaviour from our fans on trains, in pubs and away grounds but we are generally kept under close watch. There seems to be a growing issue here for closer stewarding allied to a joint campaign with the club, Trust and SLO to remind fans of their responsibilities in areas where there are families, fans with disabilities and players relatives.
There are no police around ( let's not start on that today) and no clear club or EFL policy on signage, in the programme or anywhere.
If I stand up too long or sit in the wrong seat I can expect a swift reaction in most grounds. Why do we allow the stain of foulmouthed personal abuse to continue?

It's nothing compared to some places. You shouldn't be a manager if you cannot accept hostility. Look at the crowds reaction at any ground in the country when they concede a goal. It is not nice and cannot be condoned but peoples anger gets the better of them and they vent it on players, managers or whoever is in their way. I would prefer it 1950's style of "bad luck Jolley old man lets show them next time..." but it is not going to happen in this day and age.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 53
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2018, 10:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Croxton

Christ on a bike - 5800 Town fans shell out 20 quid each to watch a shower of shite and they're supposed to inanely clap & sing Ra Ra Up the Town whilst we get torn a new one by a team we beat 3-0 about 3 months ago?
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 53
promotion plaice
August 6, 2018, 10:24pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Christ on a bike - 5800 Town fans shell out 20 quid each to watch a shower of shite and they're supposed to inanely clap & sing Ra Ra Up the Town whilst we get torn a new one by a team we beat 3-0 about 3 months ago?

Less for me.....I bought a season ticket  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 53
louth_in_the_south
August 6, 2018, 10:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94
My 6 year old lads first visit to the Ponny has resulted in him walking round the house singing “your support is fu.cking s.hit “ at every opportunity . Much to my wife’s amusement..

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 53
Croxton
August 6, 2018, 10:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
OLD CODGER

'Christ on a bike - 5800 Town fans shell out 20 quid each to watch a shower of shite and they're supposed to inanely clap & sing Ra Ra Up the Town whilst we get torn a new one by a team we beat 3-0 about 3 months ago?'

You know I was referencing the more extreme examples or do you think there are no limits?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 53
arryarryarry
August 6, 2018, 11:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
My 6 year old lads first visit to the Ponny has resulted in him walking round the house singing “your support is fu.cking s.hit “ at every opportunity . Much to my wife’s amusement..

A Town fan in the making.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 53
KingstonMariner
August 6, 2018, 11:16pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from arryarryarry

FFS

FGR seemed to have gelled OK.

Cooper's been building this team for over two years. He was installed before the Wembley game (just taking a back seat while the other bloke failed).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 53
rancido
August 7, 2018, 11:22am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from arryarryarry

A Town fan in the making.

Also a true modern Grimbarian.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 53
Townee82
August 7, 2018, 1:05pm
Beer Drinker
Approval: +87
Some have pressed the panic button already , and as for the personal abuse i will not be taking my grandsons again it was totally out of order, the rantings of a disturbed individual screaming out of control . Give it sometime I'm not saying tolerate a 20 plus game losing streak but let's see what the changes which will take place bring.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 53
KingstonMariner
August 7, 2018, 6:59pm
Meths Drinker
Appreciate what you're saying Townee, but if all sensible people left wouldn't that exacerbate the problem? We'd just be left with mouth foaming loonies.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 53
Townee82
August 7, 2018, 8:05pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Appreciate what you're saying Townee, but if all sensible people left wouldn't that exacerbate the problem? We'd just be left with mouth foaming loonies.

My grandchildren are at a impressionable age and being subject to this behaviour is not how adults should be portrayed when the molding of their minds is taking place there's no place for this in a family atmosphere no wonder their are so many yobs about .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 53
MuddyWaters
August 7, 2018, 8:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Townee82

My grandchildren are at a impressionable age and being subject to this behaviour is not how adults should be portrayed when the molding of their minds is taking place there's no place for this in a family atmosphere no wonder their are so many yobs about .

Every football ground is the same - it's not just a Grimsby thing. But each to their own, it's up to you but I would explain that some people use expletives when they feel passionately about something - let's face it, you've got to be passionate or slightly bonkers to support Town.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 53
Townee82
August 8, 2018, 7:51am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Every football ground is the same - it's not just a Grimsby thing. But each to their own, it's up to you but I would explain that some people use expletives when they feel passionately about something - let's face it, you've got to be passionate or slightly bonkers to support Town.

It was not just the expletives it was the crazed manner of the man it goes beyond anything a human beings behaviour is expected to be
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 53
1mickylyons
August 8, 2018, 7:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,381
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Townee82

It was not just the expletives it was the crazed manner of the man it goes beyond anything a human beings behaviour is expected to be

Sorry to hear this and even sorrier it wasn`t picked up and dealt with by the stewards.Did you bring it to their attention?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 53
Croxton
August 8, 2018, 8:06am
Cocktail Drinker
Time to reconsider the parameters of Clubs 'deal' with Humberside Police. The Family/ Disability/ Press/ Dugouts/ Match Officials zones all need careful monitoring. If this extreme behaviour was by the directors and sponsors seating perhaps there might be more intervention?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 53
MarinerMal
August 8, 2018, 8:39am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Townee82

I'm in full agreement with you. I have even witnessed full grown men with young children hurl the most vile abuse the manager and players. It does make you wonder what these young children will grow up like.

I do think it's time the club took a stronger position on this and inform stewards to, initially, warn people of such behaviour and if it continues, then to eject them from the ground. I have no problem with people being passionate but surely you can be passionate without having to hurl vitriotoc abuse at people.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 53
GrimRob
August 8, 2018, 9:26am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Ground regulations:

9 The use of threatening behaviour, foul or abusive language is strictly forbidden and will result in arrest and/or ejection from the Ground. The Club may impose a ban for one or more Matches.

Has this EVER been enforced? Threatening maybe but foul and abusive language is the norm.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 53
1mickylyons
August 8, 2018, 11:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
Ground regulations:

9 The use of threatening behaviour, foul or abusive language is strictly forbidden and will result in arrest and/or ejection from the Ground. The Club may impose a ban for one or more Matches.

Has this EVER been enforced? Threatening maybe but foul and abusive language is the norm.

A lot of it comes down to self restraint.I was sat next to a Father and his daughter probably aged 7-8 on Saturday.I said to him I hope the Ref as a good game and I will try and behave etc and I managed to keep a lid on any foul language.Had he not been there I would almost certainly have let rip a couple of times notably the own goal. Now my point is you don`t need to yell abuse it serves no purpose other than to vent the spleen and make you feel better it wouldn`t have helped Collins or Macca or the result but I would have felt happier having got the your sh1t opinion out of my system.5800 in the ground nearly all would have had that opinion but only dozens maybe a 100 would have actually shouted it out.Football is an emotive game it`s why we love it but it brings out the best and worst in people GTFC losing ruins my weekend and has done for over 40 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 53
realist
August 8, 2018, 12:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
Unfortunately you get the same behaviour in Freshney Place on a Saturday. This town has more than it's fair share of scum
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 53
Garth
August 8, 2018, 5:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Well that match certainty ruined my weekend, such an embarrassment it would have made the pope swear
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 53
rancido
August 8, 2018, 5:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
[quote=6]Well that match certainty ruined my weekend, such an embarrassment it would have made the pope swear [/quote]

In Latin of course.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 53
KingstonMariner
August 8, 2018, 8:57pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Townee82

It's not done any of my children any harm. I don't think it did me any harm growing up either. I'm sure plenty of people who've witnessed and heard bad behaviour haven't grown up as yobs as a result.

There are much more insidious influences on how long people develop than a few loonies at football matches. And the sad thing is, those influences are seen as perfectly acceptable by 'normal, law-abiding' people.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 53
Posh Harry
August 9, 2018, 6:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,355
Gold Stars: 35

It's not done any of my children any harm. I don't think it did me any harm growing up either. I'm sure plenty of people who've witnessed and heard bad behaviour haven't grown up as yobs as a result.

There are much more insidious influences on how long people develop than a few loonies at football matches. And the sad thing is, those influences are seen as perfectly acceptable by 'normal, law-abiding' people.

I agree KM. it is seen as acceptable by a far too many people, including it seems by a number of people on here who just come out with the same old line about it happening at every football club and that we are no different.

THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT.

Just because it happens elsewhere does not make it acceptable. Of course people are allowed to grumble and complain about the product in front of them, and they can do that loudly if they want. But some of the personal and vile abuse I have heard at games is very little to do with what they are watching, it is more to do with idiots trying to look cool in front of their mates or to those around them or to make them look ‘hard’, whereas the only thing that looks hard about them is the pertruding member sticking out of their forehead.

UTFM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 53
pen penfras
August 9, 2018, 7:14am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71

You're correct, but there was a poster talking about his young son walking around the house singing "your support is f*cking sh1t". Whilst it is funny, I wouldn't want my kids doing that. Being around people who aggressively abuse our own manager and players, or anybody, will rub off on impressionable young minds as if it is normal or acceptable. Doesn't mean they'll grow up to be yobs, but I don't want children to be around that sort of environment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 53
1mickylyons
August 9, 2018, 7:27am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

You're correct, but there was a poster talking about his young son walking around the house singing "your support is f*cking sh1t". Whilst it is funny, I wouldn't want my kids doing that. Being around people who aggressively abuse our own manager and players, or anybody, will rub off on impressionable young minds as if it is normal or acceptable. Doesn't mean they'll grow up to be yobs, but I don't want children to be around that sort of environment.

My pal realist will be inviting us to a BBQ soon where he will aggressively abuse 3k supporters he just likes to be different
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 53
golfer
August 9, 2018, 7:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Garth
Well that match certainty ruined my weekend, such an embarrassment it would have made the pope swear

I do not swear my son-  "ut benedicat tibi "
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 53
arryarryarry
August 9, 2018, 1:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

It's been going on for all the time I've been watching live football at every ground I've been to for over 50 years.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 53
pkscouse
August 9, 2018, 3:22pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +66
Gold Stars: 3
I think Grimsby is worse for this than most clubs in the country ……… Dixon was being abused ten minutes into the season FFS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 53
Meza
August 9, 2018, 6:41pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
I was in the upper findus and I must say I thought Dixon did ok in spells but his concentration for a player who has played in the championship was terrible, several times he switched off as there player just ghosted past him and on 1 occasion Reid nearly scored.  He is slow, looks like he has put weight on and didn't look at all interested.

Although not many players came out of Saturdays defeat with any credit, for me we just looked leggy, maybe due to the lesser number of pre-season games.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 53
Posh Harry
August 9, 2018, 9:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,355
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Meza
I was in the upper findus and I must say I thought Dixon did ok in spells but his concentration for a player who has played in the championship was terrible, several times he switched off as there player just ghosted past him and on 1 occasion Reid nearly scored.  He is slow, looks like he has put weight on and didn't look at all interested.

Although not many players came out of Saturdays defeat with any credit, for me we just looked leggy, maybe due to the lesser number of pre-season games.

Blimey Meza, if that summary is when he did ok in spells, I would love to see what you say when he has a shocker 😉
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 53
Meza
August 9, 2018, 9:38pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Posh Harry

Blimey Meza, if that summary is when he did ok in spells, I would love to see what you say when he has a shocker 😉

haha that's tame...your not the one sat next my dad  

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 53
KingstonMariner
August 9, 2018, 9:41pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from pkscouse
I think Grimsby is worse for this than most clubs in the country ……… Dixon was being abused ten minutes into the season FFS

Oh the irony. You do realise what 'FFS' mean?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 53
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we please give MJ some time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.