nealeardleyscrossing
July 2, 2018, 1:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Cloudy
FGR may pay ridiculous wages but don't normall shell out a couple of hundred thousand on transfer fees. With the huge signing on fees you have paid recently I hope you get to the promised land

To be fair, we are generating this money ourselves though.
We sold Woodyard for 230k, so that will pay for a striker.

Plus we now have a waiting list for season tickets, so at least we are doing it the right way in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 156
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 2, 2018, 1:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,819
Gold Stars: 178

Plus we now have a waiting list for season tickets, so at least we are doing it the right way in my opinion.

That's the dole queue

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 156
Cloudy
July 2, 2018, 1:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

But you gave Frecklington a huge signing on fee to attract him plus no doubt very high wages. If the size of the signing on fee is the norm rather than a one off then you need to keep generating substantial income over and above season ticket sales
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 156
diehardmariner
July 2, 2018, 1:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538

I'm not one to pour scorn on the ticket sales you've achieved.  We can only look on in envy at how you've tapped into a new market of fans, it's an opportunity we badly missed out on and as a result are playing catch up financially.  I think we'll be able to counter that in other ways but that's not the point.

As positive as it is for you on those ticket sales, you're also in a position where the vast majority of those fans have been spoiled.  How many of those have ever experienced a bad season? If you have a bad season this year, will they hang around?  Chucking money at big wages is all good but if it doesn't work and the fans don't return next season, you're stuck with the high earners and not enough ticket sales to pay for them.

Private Message
Reply: 63 - 156
nealeardleyscrossing
July 2, 2018, 2:05pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

But you gave Frecklington a huge signing on fee to attract him plus no doubt very high wages. If the size of the signing on fee is the norm rather than a one off then you need to keep generating substantial income over and above season ticket sales

I am sure we will, new chairman is putting money in too.
But getting 8-10k at every home game helps. Plus we have 3 decent pre - season friendlies which I imagine is bonus cash. Wednesday for example have sold 3,500 tickets for a week Friday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 156
nealeardleyscrossing
July 2, 2018, 2:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

I'm not one to pour scorn on the ticket sales you've achieved.  We can only look on in envy at how you've tapped into a new market of fans, it's an opportunity we badly missed out on and as a result are playing catch up financially.  I think we'll be able to counter that in other ways but that's not the point.

As positive as it is for you on those ticket sales, you're also in a position where the vast majority of those fans have been spoiled.  How many of those have ever experienced a bad season? If you have a bad season this year, will they hang around?  Chucking money at big wages is all good but if it doesn't work and the fans don't return next season, you're stuck with the high earners and not enough ticket sales to pay for them.

Your right, but I suppose they know what they are doing. I think taking nearly 30k to Wembley suggest there are more out there - They capped Season ticket sales at 6, 300 - So you cant actually buy one now (hence the Waiting List)

I'm not sure what happens when we have a mediocre season, but I imagine we only offer shortish term contracts. So at worst we would tighten our belts.

As a matter of interest, when you were doing well under Buckley etc, did you have similar interest in season tickets etc?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 156
nealeardleyscrossing
July 2, 2018, 2:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

That's the dole queue

Great banter from the 1970's.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 156
Limerick Mariner
July 2, 2018, 7:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136

Your right, but I suppose they know what they are doing. I think taking nearly 30k to Wembley suggest there are more out there - They capped Season ticket sales at 6, 300 - So you cant actually buy one now (hence the Waiting List)

I'm not sure what happens when we have a mediocre season, but I imagine we only offer shortish term contracts. So at worst we would tighten our belts.

As a matter of interest, when you were doing well under Buckley etc, did you have similar interest in season tickets etc?

Nowhere near - although the Wembley interest was similar, maybe a touch higher, than Lincoln's. Blundell Park is a bit blighted by a legacy of hooligan problems and was also totally unsuitable for a reasonably comfortable conversion to all-seater; the toilets are crap, the catering is crap and is not a great experience for families - it isn't as bad as Donny's Belle Vue was, but if GTFC had a new stadium, I'd expect a similar uplift in season tickets and crowds as Donny experienced when they moved to the Keepmoat (as long as the team were performing ok). Until a new stadium happens, if it ever does, we haven't a hope in hell of getting anywhere near 6k plus ST holders. Where have the ST holders come from - are you drawing alot from Newark, Grantham, Sleaford and Skeg now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 156
Garth
July 2, 2018, 9:51pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Students
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 156
topuphere666
July 2, 2018, 9:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
I love how a few Lincoln fans automatically come to us when there’s talk of a new signing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 156
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John Akinde

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.